Singapore Expats Forum

Information on jobs please?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

JWill79

Information on jobs please?

Postby JWill79 » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 7:32 am

Myself and my fiance are planning on moving to Singapore in about a year, maybe less. My fiance has a Bachellor's Degree in the architectural field and I am in sales, but without a degree. Is there any advice or information that we should get? I've been doing job searches for a few weeks just to get an idea of what type of market there is, unfortunately I do not meet alot of the experience or education requirements for sales jobs due to time spent in military, and I haven't found any matching her degree specifically. Thank you for any information.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:55 am

The big catch, as always, is obtaining a job so that you can obtain an employment pass (EP). The company that is going to hire you must apply for the EP and demonstrate that they cannot find the skills locally.

In terms of credentials, not having a degree doesn't help, but it's not a death knell, either. For example, if you are a heavy hitter in the sales field, marketing to the 'C' level, with a successful track record, there might be quite a few companies interested in you. OTOH, if you have been selling vacuum cleaners door to door, the hill will be much steeper for you.

If you get married to your fiance and she gets a job on an EP, then you can come over on a dependent's pass (DP). There are rules regarding working on a DP but being over here with breathing room opens up more oppotunities. Be aware though that local competiton is strong.

JWill79

Postby JWill79 » Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:41 am

Thank you for the information. I will keep that in mind when looking for a job. I just hope the vacuum cleaner market is good over there :wink: . Actually, I am in time-share condominiums. Not sure of the real-estate market, but it should not be too bad.