Singapore Expats

Signed a contract before EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
dwengkie

Signed a contract before EP

Post by dwengkie » Tue, 18 Aug 2020 9:46 am

I am currently employed in a company A as permanent employee with SPass. Since I wanted a better offer I applied to another company B. In this company B though, I have to be employed through their vendor.

Now vendor offered EPass. During the SAT, I tried 6500, but only give me S. Tried 6650 and thats only when I would qualify for an EPass. I told them I want EPass for me to sign with them. Over the phone they said they will try 6500 first. I agree with that since I am currently ard 5K .

Now they created the contract for 6500. But the problem now is, they need me to start in 6 weeks. And I would have to pay the company one month if I dont start. I told them and they acknowledge that I am not resigning from Company A until EP is approved.

Second, they offered me 6500 and the contract says I have to be employed with them for 24 straight months. If I leave, I will have to pay 2 months salary. This wasnt in our phone discussion and was just surprised this was in the contract they had me sign. Being there, I felt the pressure to sign the document with hesitation and I did.

Here are my questions.
1. Is it even allowed for them to specify those terms even when I havent have my EP yet?

2. What if EP doesnt get approved soon or gets approved in less that 4 weeks and I am unable to join them in time because I still have to render 1 month in Company A, will I be held liable to Company B?

3. During our discussion, I raised my concern that 24 months too long and if possible to maybe lower it to 12 months coz no one will be sure of what happens in 24 months. He said that I will have to pay if only I resign and move to another company. If I go home for family issue or smth, I will not need to pay the bond. Is this even true? At this point, can I still ask them to lower it down since contract has been signed (Although IPA and EP not issued yet)

4. With the SAT, it says I only get EP on 6650 and they applied 6500. If the EP application gets rejected, will I be asked to sign a new contract with the new values? Was thinking of requesting bond from 24 to 12 months if this happens.

I know my greed gave me this anxiety and I probably deserve it, but hope anyone can help with my questions. :cry:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Signed a contract before EP

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Aug 2020 5:27 pm

It's no damn wonder the locals are up in arms about foreigners. The quality of foreign imports today is abysmal. I think the $5K he was getting with company A was 2x more than he is worth.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

anesthetization

Post by anesthetization » Fri, 11 Sep 2020 9:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 28 Aug 2020 5:27 pm
It's no damn wonder the locals are up in arms about foreigners. The quality of foreign imports today is abysmal. I think the $5K he was getting with company A was 2x more than he is worth.
I am not sure how could you get the conclusion, so both company A and B are damn stupid ](*,) Paid 2x value + spass lev, both A & B 's bosses must come from same village as op :P
dwengkie wrote:
Tue, 18 Aug 2020 9:46 am
Now vendor offered EPass. During the SAT, I tried 6500, but only give me S.

Second, they offered me 6500 and the contract says I have to be employed with them for 24 straight months. If I leave, I will have to pay 2 months salary. This wasnt in our phone discussion and was just surprised this was in the contract they had me sign. Being there, I felt the pressure to sign the document with hesitation and I did.

Here are my questions.
1. Is it even allowed for them to specify those terms even when I havent have my EP yet?

2. What if EP doesnt get approved soon or gets approved in less that 4 weeks and I am unable to join them in time because I still have to render 1 month in Company A, will I be held liable to Company B?

3. During our discussion, I raised my concern that 24 months too long and if possible to maybe lower it to 12 months coz no one will be sure of what happens in 24 months. He said that I will have to pay if only I resign and move to another company. If I go home for family issue or smth, I will not need to pay the bond. Is this even true? At this point, can I still ask them to lower it down since contract has been signed (Although IPA and EP not issued yet)

4. With the SAT, it says I only get EP on 6650 and they applied 6500. If the EP application gets rejected, will I be asked to sign a new contract with the new values? Was thinking of requesting bond from 24 to 12 months if this happens.

I know my greed gave me this anxiety and I probably deserve it, but hope anyone can help with my questions. :cry:
Wow, 6500 not qualified for SPass, you must not have a degree or too old for the job. anyway gratz on 30% raise
You should act on your instinct, if not feeling ok, should not sign. 2 years bond is rediculous, you probably will go through long working hour, constant OT and quite stressful. I have been there, and quit after just few months, and pay the price, hope that your B company is not start with 'H' :mrgreen:
By the way, sign the contract before EP is not a big problem, resign before EP be. and accept that 6 weeks is quite stupid, honestly, you are taking the uncontrolled risk.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Sep 2020 5:48 pm

All contracts signed with foreigners in Singapore are only valid once the relevant work pass has been issued. If not issued, contract is automatically null and void due to employment laws of the country. However, once your work pass is issued, you are automatically liable for the terms of the contract. If you signed it without reading it and understanding it, well, what can we say. You cannot blame it on being pressured.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers