Singapore Expats

Medical Insurance

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
wearethegods

Medical Insurance

Post by wearethegods » Mon, 17 Aug 2020 6:35 am

I'm moving to Singapore next month and my company provides medical insurance however it only activates 3 months after working at the company. This is a policy set by the insurance company and not the company I will be moving too. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I need insurance to cover me as soon as I land in Singapore incase I catch coronavirus. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Medical Insurance

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 Aug 2020 8:35 am

This is ridiculous and bullshit. I've never heard of anything like this before. Someone, not sure who, is telling you a lie. I assume you're also on, coincidentally, a three month probation period?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 17 Aug 2020 9:11 am

This is bizarre.

Even when I was leaving leaving school and applying for unpaid work abroad, they still insisted on either providing me insurance coverage (if the job was a private sector firm) or at least directing me to insurance companies (for volunteering opportunities you generally have to pay for your own insurance).

Given the sounds of the set up, it seems dodgy and I wouldn't be surprised if your application to land (separate to a work permit) is held up.
By the way, you are aware that you have to spend 14 days in quarantine when you arrive, which you have to pay 2k for (+$200 for covid-19 tests)? Who is going to pay for that? You or the company?

There aren't a lot of insurance providers that will cover this kind of situation. You could try CIGNA ... but they are super duper expensive

Finally, good luck!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 Aug 2020 9:16 am

Unheard of...medical insurance usually activates really fast ie: within a week.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

NoraBamadhaj

Post by NoraBamadhaj » Fri, 08 Jan 2021 6:06 pm

So is your insurance already activated yet?