Singapore Expats

Cycling - need saddle consultation?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Cycling - need saddle consultation?

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 11 Aug 2020 9:24 am

Hi All,

Would like to reach out to the Cycling community. Recently got into Cycling with a city style cruiser bike. We ride with my 2 year old in a child seat at the back.

The cheap saddle that comes with the bike is uncomfortable, and online reading suggests a good start is to have a consultation on the best saddle for my riding style (not aggressive, upright riding).

Can anyone contribute insights of this is possible in Singapore, and who/where such consultations can be found?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

iamnotlame

Re: Cycling - need saddle consultation?

Post by iamnotlame » Tue, 11 Aug 2020 4:34 pm

The height of the saddle also matters and should be adjusted to your height. Better still, if you do not intend to replace the saddle, you can buy a saddle cushion cover to make your ride more comfortable. You can easily put it on top of an existing saddle and will definitely give you a comfortable ride.

By the way, how long do you normally ride?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Aug 2020 6:42 pm

iamnotlame wrote:
Tue, 11 Aug 2020 4:34 pm
Sure fooled me! :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 6:12 am

iamnotlame wrote:The height of the saddle also matters and should be adjusted to your height. Better still, if you do not intend to replace the saddle, you can buy a saddle cushion cover to make your ride more comfortable. You can easily put it on top of an existing saddle and will definitely give you a comfortable ride.

By the way, how long do you normally ride?
Thanks for your input. I’ve been cursed with short limbs, and with my toddler in the child seat, there’s only so much height adjustment before stability is compromised.

I’ll try more padding suggestion. Lately I have been riding 1-2h. Definitely more than just a quick run to the shops...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 8:34 am

Decalthon sell bike seats. Maybe try a few.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 11:32 am

I use Brooks seats on my bikes. They are leather and eventually (1000kms) conform to your butt. Once run in* comfortable enough to wear normal non-padded shorts. One of those seats has seen about 70k kms over 15 years. Looks a bit battered (sun and rain) but it's still comfortable.

Seat height is pretty straight forward. You don't want your leg fully extended in the downward stroke, need a slight bend in the knee. Check the internet, plenty of advice and then it's just what feels comfortable to you.

https://www.brooksengland.com/

* the run in period can be challenging

iamnotlame

Post by iamnotlame » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 9:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 11 Aug 2020 6:42 pm
iamnotlame wrote:
Tue, 11 Aug 2020 4:34 pm
Sure fooled me! :roll:
Sorry, I am newbie posting but been lurking and reading posts for quite a while. Just thought I can be of help to the topic.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:31 pm

bgd wrote:I use Brooks seats on my bikes. They are leather and eventually (1000kms) conform to your butt. Once run in* comfortable enough to wear normal non-padded shorts. One of those seats has seen about 70k kms over 15 years. Looks a bit battered (sun and rain) but it's still comfortable.

Seat height is pretty straight forward. You don't want your leg fully extended in the downward stroke, need a slight bend in the knee. Check the internet, plenty of advice and then it's just what feels comfortable to you.

1000km to break in a saddle

Guess my Chiro will love me for that effort....

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:35 pm

bgd wrote:I use Brooks seats on my bikes. They are leather and eventually (1000kms) conform to your butt. Once run in* comfortable enough to wear normal non-padded shorts. One of those seats has seen about 70k kms over 15 years. Looks a bit battered (sun and rain) but it's still comfortable.

1000km to break in a saddle?

Can see a world of pain in front of me on that effort....

Thanks for sharing the info, will look into that brand.