Singapore Expats

What's the best avenue for getting work in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Alex5001

What's the best avenue for getting work in Singapore

Post by Alex5001 » Sat, 08 Aug 2020 7:10 pm

Hi,
To me Singapore seems like a desirable place to relocate; at least for a period.
My general impression is that to be able to get a job and a decent salary as an expat you need to have a sizable amount of experience. However I have been told there are a lot of opportunities is a lot of different fields.

I myself am an Accounting graduate but haven't worked in the field, and don't have much passion for it (poor decisions). I've been wondering what to do with myself, and currently I'm strongly leaning towards getting into Computer Science. Robotics is something I'm interested in getting into, too, and I've read that apparently that's a fairly big field in Singapore?

Anyway I was hoping for some input into firstly, what kind of prospects the above has in Singapore, as well as more generally what kind of fields are good for expats generally. I'm also interested in what the best way to go about it is, as in how much experience you should have, or at what point in your career and so on.
Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: What's the best avenue for getting work in Singapore

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 11:15 am

:-k [-( #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 11:28 am

Best way is to transfer in with a company. Based on what you have said that's your only option.

Too many local accountants.
No experience (or qualification?) on the computer side. You won't get the experience here, you need to already have it for any hope of a role.

Maybe rethink in 5 years when you have something behind you.

Alex5001

Post by Alex5001 » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 1:37 pm

bgd wrote:
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 11:28 am
Best way is to transfer in with a company. Based on what you have said that's your only option.

Too many local accountants.
No experience (or qualification?) on the computer side. You won't get the experience here, you need to already have it for any hope of a role.

Maybe rethink in 5 years when you have something behind you.
Oh yeah I mean at this point I'm not really considering going down the accounting route. I wasn't planning to move there as soon as possible but wondering what my options would be in the future when I have qualification and experience

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 2:27 pm

You access will depend on what your qualifications and experience in whatever industry they cannot find local staff with similar qualifications dovetail. This changes from year to year. IT isn't the way to go unless it AI or cybersecurity at the moment. In five years it's anybody's guess.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 31 Aug 2020 1:37 pm

Don't plan your career around moving to Singapore. Choose something you want to do and then if you happen to get to Singapore then that's great.

Good luck!!