Singapore Expats

Verbally Accept Offer but a Better Offer Comes Out

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Noriamas

Verbally Accept Offer but a Better Offer Comes Out

Post by Noriamas » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 2:49 pm

Code: Select all

*************************** I would like to delete this thread ***************************
by Addadude » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 9:14 am
My two cents worth: do what you clearly know to be the right thing and accept company A's offer. You should start your career off on the right note. Your salary will go up as your career progresses.
Go to full post
Last edited by Noriamas on Tue, 04 Aug 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Verbally Accept Offer but a Better Offer Comes Out

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:00 pm

As a recently retired HR Manager, I'll refrain from making any comment on this out of kindness.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Noriamas

Post by Noriamas » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:00 pm
As a recently retired HR Manager, I'll refrain from making any comment on this out of kindness.
First of all, really appreciated for pointing it out. (but you did make a comment tho :-k ) Sorry please correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that such action is indeed a moral issue, even though no one could prevent me from doing this so-called switching?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:27 pm

If I have to spell it out, then YES.

Put yourself in the HR Manager's position who took you at your word at Co A. Then put yourself in Co B's HR Mgr position when you went back on your word to the first Company. I wonder how the trust issue would be in the mind of the HR Manager of Co B. Let your moral compass be your guide, Singapore is a very small island.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Noriamas

Post by Noriamas » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:31 pm

Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:27 pm
If I have to spell it out, then YES.

Put yourself in the HR Manager's position who took you at your word at Co A. Then put yourself in Co B's HR Mgr position when you when back on your word to the first Company. I wonder how the trust issue would be in the mind of the HR Manager of Co B. Let your moral compass be your guide, Singapore is a very small island.
Fully understand your points now and really appreciated for speaking it out. Many thanks!
Another reason for me to post this thread is that, I have encountered the situation of "HR gives the offer but later retracted". So I believe that trust should be a at least a mutual thing in that sense. :-k

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:41 pm

Yes, you also have a valid point, but you don't want to be the one who sets the trust level, do you? Especially seeing it is you with your hat in your hand as the saying goes.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 4:39 pm

A verbal acceptance is legally binding. However I doubt they will actually do anything except complain.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Noriamas

Post by Noriamas » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 5:15 pm

Mon, 03 Aug 2020 3:41 pm
Yes, you also have a valid point, but you don't want to be the one who sets the trust level, do you? Especially seeing it is you with your hat in your hand as the saying goes.
Your words really made me pause and ponder about my choice. Appreciated!

Noriamas

Post by Noriamas » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 5:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 4:39 pm
A verbal acceptance is legally binding. However I doubt they will actually do anything except complain.
That is very scary as I don't want to be involved in legal issues. Just cannot decide between a fresh grad's future and moral. If B eventually offers, it would be a much much better overall package and career advancement. Haiz it's just that their hiring process takes too long so I am lost in this situation.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 8:46 pm

Noriamas wrote:
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 5:19 pm
PNGMK wrote:
That is very scary as I don't want to be involved in legal issues. Just cannot decide between a fresh grad's future and moral. If B eventually offers, it would be a much much better overall package and career advancement. Haiz it's just that their hiring process takes too long so I am lost in this situation.
It is binding but there would be a huge problem for the offering party to prove on the details so no need to worry too much. It is mostly a moral dilemma. Also, what you received in the e-mail, is this the full contract, signed etc.?
And on top of all these considerations, as a fresh grad, you may not get the EP at all, neither with A nor B. Better be prepared for it.

Noriamas

Post by Noriamas » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 10:36 pm

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 8:46 pm
Noriamas wrote:
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 5:19 pm
PNGMK wrote:
It is binding but there would be a huge problem for the offering party to prove on the details so no need to worry too much. It is mostly a moral dilemma. Also, what you received in the e-mail, is this the full contract, signed etc.?
And on top of all these considerations, as a fresh grad, you may not get the EP at all, neither with A nor B. Better be prepared for it.
When I received the email it was just some outlines of the package they offered. Most of communication is done by phone call. Then my confirmation was just an one-sentence email as well. (So by saying that, neither letter of offer nor the formal contract currently)

Totally understand the difficulty of applying for EP in the current situation. How about it fails? Will the company appeal for me or will like switch to SP instead? Sorry I ain't got these experience as a fresh grad.

And I appreciate your comment for sure!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 7:58 am

Hah,

My company branch in Australia hired a sales director.

The country leader had an on-boarding call with him the night before.

The morning he was meant join, he called in to say he was joining the competitor.

Helps a bit that the guy was in his twilight years and would retire at the competitor, but his name definitely became dirt across the industry....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 9:14 am

My two cents worth: do what you clearly know to be the right thing and accept company A's offer. You should start your career off on the right note. Your salary will go up as your career progresses.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 9:36 am

I would take the better offer. I've made the mistake before of mistaking loyalty as a value in the corporate world. Company A can find a new hire. If you have an actual written offer from B, take it and apologise to company A. B's offer must be written and binding (i.e. a signed letter with a commencement date).

Quite a few people I know have recently tried to jump ships only to fall in between.

I disagree with Addadude. Being in a good company from the very start can be a fantastic boost to an early career.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Noriamas

Post by Noriamas » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 10:40 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Tue, 04 Aug 2020 7:58 am
Hah,

My company branch in Australia hired a sales director.

The country leader had an on-boarding call with him the night before.

The morning he was meant join, he called in to say he was joining the competitor.

Helps a bit that the guy was in his twilight years and would retire at the competitor, but his name definitely became dirt across the industry....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot for sharing. I guess the Spirit of Contract should still be cherished in the society. :-k