Singapore Expats

British - Moving to SG (Wife is SC)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Sbk
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Re: British - Moving to SG (Wife is SC)

Post by Sbk » Wed, 17 Feb 2021 7:01 am

Sunjackal wrote:
Thu, 04 Feb 2021 3:31 pm
Can’t apply for the LTVP from abroad. We tried it on her Singpass but it wants my disembarkation number etc - which cannot provide as I am not there.

Have just decided to apply for PR directly. Will basically be the same process as you suggested, just that I’ll have to wait to get back into SG before I apply for the LTVP.
Actually, there is an easier way to get the disembarkation number, just download the SG Arrival Card from the Apple store or Google store. Create your profile and create a record of when you plan to come to Singapore next, best to choose a much later date incase u need to change it, that will generate a DE number which you can use to apply for LTVP, trust me the LTVP will be your best option right, PR will take a very long time to be processed which will most likely end up in rejection coz you have not stayed in Singapore long enough to adapt to the culture, very rarely it will get approved, furthermore, your wife doesn’t have any income tax returns in SG, that makes it more difficult for PR application. In any case, this is just my opinion and I wish you good luck,

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 26 May 2021 9:20 am

Just a little update. Not much to say, though!

Our resale is due for handover on 15th June, so that’s nice. PR application is still outstanding - although that’s not a surprise given that we applied for it in March.

I’ve had a few bites regarding potential employment, so I really hope that I get lucky and am approved, although possibly I can swing it with a touch of good luck by another route (such as LTVP). Not that the lockdown has helped!

Starting to wind things up and getting ready to move. Sellers have asked for a month extra so we should be arriving end of July.

Fingers crossed!

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 9:38 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Thu, 04 Feb 2021 7:14 pm
Sunjackal wrote:
Thu, 04 Feb 2021 3:31 pm
Can’t apply for the LTVP from abroad. We tried it on her Singpass but it wants my disembarkation number etc - which cannot provide as I am not there.

Have just decided to apply for PR directly. Will basically be the same process as you suggested, just that I’ll have to wait to get back into SG before I apply for the LTVP.
Would have done the same, and well my time was different, and now of course the Covid has changed things, so even 2-3 years old stuff doesn't mean much, but for reference I know 2 cases that got their PRs approved that way; applied while overseas (after min 2 year's of marriage), moved to Singapore, got LTVP-LOC and looked and found jobs, and while working here, after some time got the PR approval. But of course every case is different, and now covid times makes it even more unpredictable what happens to the applications.

and as said by malcontent your biggest challenge is to find that job.
On the adapting to way of live and daily stuff in Singapore, I would warn the otherwise if your wife as I understand has stayed some time overseas. She will have a bigger reverse-culture shock, as everyone thinks she's local and it is all easy for Singaporean to move back home. You are likely with open minded attitude and coming here willingly adapt better, plus people give you more sympathy for your troubles to having to adjust and move here (not talking about random people but your wife's family, relatives and friends).
Your words have borne out the truth. I wouldn’t say that she’s struggling, perse, but it’s definitely been a massive transition for her. I definitely get the easier ride because people expect that I need to adjust, whereas she is just expected to.

In terms of the LTVP, I was issued a 1 year LTVP and a PLOC. So that’s the first big hurdle overcome, especially as it was done without my wife working. She wants to stay with the baby until he’s at least 3, and I am very supportive of that notion.

First interview on Friday. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing into a new life!

PR is still pending. As everyone has mentioned, not expecting much and accept that I might well need to reapply in the future.

Thanks for all the help thus far from all. Has made it seem far less of a barrier.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 3:17 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 9:38 am
Your words have borne out the truth. I wouldn’t say that she’s struggling, perse, but it’s definitely been a massive transition for her. I definitely get the easier ride because people expect that I need to adjust, whereas she is just expected to.
There's a lot of studies and writing about it. Might just help to read a bit about it understand it better, and knowing that it is quite normal.

Some examples:
https://www.expatica.com/moving/leaving ... ck-104957/
https://www.isepstudyabroad.org/returni ... ture-shock
Sunjackal wrote:
In terms of the LTVP, I was issued a 1 year LTVP and a PLOC. So that’s the first big hurdle overcome, especially as it was done without my wife working. She wants to stay with the baby until he’s at least 3, and I am very supportive of that notion.

First interview on Friday. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing into a new life!

PR is still pending. As everyone has mentioned, not expecting much and accept that I might well need to reapply in the future.

Thanks for all the help thus far from all. Has made it seem far less of a barrier.
Congrats, that's great.

Just try to get that first job here. If you can manage that, you getting your PR on first application wouldn't surprise me that much, but that might only happen after the 1 year LTVP.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:47 pm

Sunjackal wrote:
I was issued a 1 year LTVP
I was under the impression that if you’re married for more than 3 years and/or have a Singaporean child, you’ll be issued LTVP+ that has a 3 year validity. Is your son not a SG citizen or has dual citizenship until age 21?

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 8:17 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 22 Sep 2021 5:47 pm
Sunjackal wrote:
I was issued a 1 year LTVP
I was under the impression that if you’re married for more than 3 years and/or have a Singaporean child, you’ll be issued LTVP+ that has a 3 year validity. Is your son not a SG citizen or has dual citizenship until age 21?
We’ve been married since 2016. My son was born in Singapore.

They issued me with a 1 year LTVP. 🤷‍♂️

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:00 pm

That’s interesting… maybe ICA saw you two have not been in SG for years and suddenly relocating back might have made them give you one year validity to let you “test the waters” in SG? Or your PR application could be approved within the next year? Who knows. Best of luck though.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:10 pm

I recall my first EP here was just for 1 year... and that was after 2 rejections!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 1:39 am

My first contract was for 1 year as well, but the company subsequently rolled it over 7 more time. By that time, I had a local wife and 2 kids - the eldest starting P1 so had to do some hard thinking on the future. Next June 11th I will have been here 40 years now. Go figure!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 5:52 am

I feel like the main hurdle is overcome. Now that I’ve been given my first LTVP - I am relatively confident that I’ll be fine given my circumstances provided I am able to find a job. I’ll just enquire about the LTVP+ when I speak to an officer when it comes time for renewal, but I honestly don’t have the worries about the process now that I’ve got a foot in the door.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 23 Sep 2021 8:17 am

Sunjackal wrote:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 5:52 am
I’ll just enquire about the LTVP+ when I speak to an officer when it comes time for renewal
Based on my experience with renewal, I doubt the counter staff who verifies the documents will be able to “change” your validity to LTVP+ on the spot.

It seems like when you’re approved in principle, perhaps a staff in the backend has already fixed the number of years of validity for you and it’s just the frontline counter staff that carries out the action.

For my husband’s current two year LTVP validity, I spoke to no staff at all, was just surprised by it and accepted the outcome.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 9:27 am

Been offered employment, so another positive step forwards!

Only aspect that remains outstanding for me now is my PR application. Should I send them something related to the fact that I’ve been offered/accepted a role?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 1:33 pm

When you get your first payslip, then submit it with your letter of employment.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:48 pm

Congrats for the job, and would 2nd mochs, update when got at least a one paid salary.

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Fri, 21 Jan 2022 3:17 am

I updated the ICA with salary paid, job contract etc.

The ICA contacted me last week and asked for a CV for my spouse and parents, as well as my highest educational transcript and certificate.

Not sure if that’s a positive sign or it’s just part of the process. It’s been pending for 10 months thus far.