Singapore Expats Forum
 

PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
Mas169
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:53 am

PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by Mas169 » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:00 pm

Dear Expats
Wondering if anyone have come across a situation of PR renunciation of 14 year old kids.
What are the complications as from 13 years we need to apply for exit permit.
Can we just apply for 1 year exit permit and cancel at 14th year ?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:22 pm

You can renounce PR (formally with ICA). Not sure of the consequences as technically 2nd gen liable to NS.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37303
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 2:10 pm

This has been discussed time and time again. Please use the search engine in the Strictly Speaking subforums under the General Forum. Look for posts by Mad Scientist. There is a wealth of information (probably the largest collection of NS issues in any location on the internet).

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 2:21 pm

In addition to what we have on the forum there is a recent article here:

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... -residents

Also:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/j ... ld-skip-ns

Note the quote: "Second-generation PRs are allowed to renounce their status without serving NS, but this will be taken into account if they apply to return to Singapore to study or work."
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 2:25 pm

Also at the bottom of this link below. I realize and understand that you have be under some sort of external pressure but considering your child already has an obligation to do NS it may make more sense to keep PR.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/apply/PR/apply_PR_who
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 3:47 pm

Mas169 wrote:
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:00 pm
Dear Expats
Wondering if anyone have come across a situation of PR renunciation of 14 year old kids.
What are the complications as from 13 years we need to apply for exit permit.
Can we just apply for 1 year exit permit and cancel at 14th year ?
Knew couple of them who did this and after 10 years when their son want to work and stay with parents in SG, they are unable to secure anything more than a 30 days SVP. My recommendation is NOT to renounce the PR.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 5:15 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 3:47 pm
Mas169 wrote:
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:00 pm
Dear Expats
Wondering if anyone have come across a situation of PR renunciation of 14 year old kids.
What are the complications as from 13 years we need to apply for exit permit.
Can we just apply for 1 year exit permit and cancel at 14th year ?
Knew couple of them who did this and after 10 years when their son want to work and stay with parents in SG, they are unable to secure anything more than a 30 days SVP. My recommendation is NOT to renounce the PR.
IF the child is a boy that means he needs to do NS.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 5:30 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 5:15 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 3:47 pm
Mas169 wrote:
Mon, 27 Jul 2020 12:00 pm
Dear Expats
Wondering if anyone have come across a situation of PR renunciation of 14 year old kids.
What are the complications as from 13 years we need to apply for exit permit.
Can we just apply for 1 year exit permit and cancel at 14th year ?
Knew couple of them who did this and after 10 years when their son want to work and stay with parents in SG, they are unable to secure anything more than a 30 days SVP. My recommendation is NOT to renounce the PR.
IF the child is a boy that means he needs to do NS.
Yes and I have the same view too.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Jul 2020 5:32 pm

I know about 6 ex PR's who deeply regret giving up PR. That sweet CPF is not worth it when you have major events like job offers in Singapore or Singapore schooling coming along.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Mas169
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:53 am

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by Mas169 » Tue, 28 Jul 2020 6:23 am

Thanks PNGMK, Singaporeflyer, Sundaymorningstaple for your replies.
My situation is, i will be relocating to another country when my son is 13 years old as company has asked me to move, so planning to relocate with family.
To be frank this is not to evade NS as we completely aware of PR obligations when we applied.
But when we move to another country and kids study there for 5-6 years , am not sure if they will be happy to comeback and do NS.
So after we move, thought of weighting for an year for kids to settle down and then take decision.
Understand if we renounce kids PR, then kid can't come back for work or apply pr again.
Thanks again.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:17 pm

Mas169 wrote:
Tue, 28 Jul 2020 6:23 am
Thanks PNGMK, Singaporeflyer, Sundaymorningstaple for your replies.
My situation is, i will be relocating to another country when my son is 13 years old as company has asked me to move, so planning to relocate with family.
To be frank this is not to evade NS as we completely aware of PR obligations when we applied.
But when we move to another country and kids study there for 5-6 years , am not sure if they will be happy to comeback and do NS.
So after we move, thought of weighting for an year for kids to settle down and then take decision.
Understand if we renounce kids PR, then kid can't come back for work or apply pr again.
Thanks again.
This is a tough one and why I often recommend that people with kids (esp boys) don't apply for PR unless they plan to live the rest of their working life in Singapore. The govt sees it the same way and that is why "portable" career types don't get PR often now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

klchew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: PR renunciation for 14 years old kid

Post by klchew » Thu, 10 Sep 2020 2:04 pm

If your son renounces his PR, than for the foreseeable future, it is better that he does not return to Singapore except as a tourist. The Government has been ratcheting up the screws on this since the 2011 General Election results. It's a vote winner here.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests