Singapore Expats

bluesg - $8/m or...

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
taxico
Director
Director

bluesg - $8/m or...

Post by taxico » Wed, 22 Jul 2020 12:18 am

seems like i might be here for a 2-3 months (while my wife decides whether or not she wishes to join me or wait for herd immunity to "happen").

this bluesg rental, are they easy to use or am i better off maybe buying a motorbike? (i sold my last one from overseas and the depreciation isn't so crazy now it looks like)

i've still got all my riding gear easily accessible in storage in singapore, but i'd loathe to have to clean and disinfect everything up again for long term storage...

any insights on bluesg appreciated. no search results here!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: bluesg - $8/m or...

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:07 am

taxico wrote:
Wed, 22 Jul 2020 12:18 am
seems like i might be here for a 2-3 months (while my wife decides whether or not she wishes to join me or wait for herd immunity to "happen").

this bluesg rental, are they easy to use or am i better off maybe buying a motorbike? (i sold my last one from overseas and the depreciation isn't so crazy now it looks like)

i've still got all my riding gear easily accessible in storage in singapore, but i'd loathe to have to clean and disinfect everything up again for long term storage...

any insights on bluesg appreciated. no search results here!
I like them. I had a subscription ($15/month) and didn't use them as much as I wanted so cancelled it after a year. The cars seem ok. It can be hard to find one available in more local locations as they get booked out (you can reserve them) in peak periods. As far as transport goes they are fine. The range is not really an issue. I think they have an ad-hoc option now for short term rental as well.

Motorbike COE's jumped up. They are back up to 7k so used bike prices jumped up again.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 23 Jul 2020 1:32 pm

u got it. there are no lots between the two areas i will be going to, and the walk from the main road/train station into the estate is pretty far... so i'm going to mull over it for now.

it looks useful for certain commutes is the car and lots are both easily available though!

(i believe i read that the shortest rental is 15 minutes / $4.95)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 Jul 2020 2:30 pm

taxico wrote:
Thu, 23 Jul 2020 1:32 pm
u got it. there are no lots between the two areas i will be going to, and the walk from the main road/train station into the estate is pretty far... so i'm going to mull over it for now.

it looks useful for certain commutes is the car and lots are both easily available though!

(i believe i read that the shortest rental is 15 minutes / $4.95)
You can rent motorbikes (Carousell) easier now. That might be an option. Lots of Bluesg cars and parking lots are being added every week or so - it's worth checking back occasionally. I was surprised to see 3 of them parked and charging behind my condo in a HDB lot yesterday.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Sat, 25 Jul 2020 10:56 am

Still puzzled how does this work.

Are you supposed to park back the same place you drove off? Else still need to find a nearest parking location?

Been seeing parking lots allocated for this.

:???:
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 25 Jul 2020 12:17 pm

Pal wrote:
Sat, 25 Jul 2020 10:56 am
Still puzzled how does this work.

Are you supposed to park back the same place you drove off? Else still need to find a nearest parking location?

Been seeing parking lots allocated for this.

:???:
You collect from a official location with a ERP card that is registered by swiping it on the windscreen sensor.

Drive and park anywhere but you are paying until you return it to any official bluesg parking lot and plug in and tap out. No need to return to same lot as theory of chaos says the cars will be distributed randomly anyways

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Sat, 25 Jul 2020 3:51 pm

Which means if drive and go shopping, leaving it at the mall car park for hours will incur more charges?

Do we need to preregister before swiping the erp card?
Singapore Expats

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 29 Jul 2020 8:30 am

the way i read it is that it's best for point A to B transportation.

ie. A has a bluecar, and B has an empty parking lot.

the parking lots at destination(s) can be booked for a fee, or you can take a chance.

because you're being charged by the minute (minimum rental duration is 15m), so any time spent driving around looking for a parking lot is money wasted.

(you can also book and pay for the car for a certain number of hours for a certain discounted rate BUT the car cannot be recharged at their lots (???) during this period of time - probably best if there's going to be lots of stops)

and i further read that it's recommended to plan ahead before you use the car IF you are budget conscious.

yes, you can pay to leave it parked somewhere. yes, you can use a train card to register and verify your account/license - they can also send you a dedicated card which i suspect has to be eventually returned or a fee will be charged.

ie. check grab prices. check taxi prices. check bluesg prices + parking lot availability at destination (and decide if you want to pay the $1 or $2 (??) parking lot reservation fee).

it probably won't work out for me because i'd still have to take a walk+bus+walk or taxi/grab to get to the two places i spend most of my time at...

so to get from the west to the north, i would have to walk to the main road, take a bus, then walk into the bluecar lot.

then i have to park in the north, walk to the main road, take a bus, then walk to my destination.

that's about 2.8km worth of walking...

anyhow. so that kinda concludes my initial reading into bluecar. i'd probably give it a go if there were lots within 1-3m walking distance from both points.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Wed, 29 Jul 2020 9:32 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Won't work for me, it is not easy to work for everyone since the constrains are the collection / parking points from the starting / destination.

Easier to Grab a ride from what I see.
Singapore Expats

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:10 pm

Pal wrote:
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 9:32 am
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Won't work for me, it is not easy to work for everyone since the constrains are the collection / parking points from the starting / destination.

Easier to Grab a ride from what I see.
Where I see it working is when you have a few people who need to go to different places but start from the same location. Driver drops them off individually and then parks in a lot.

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”