Singapore Expats Forum
 

REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3119
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:28 pm
It still needs to be renewed every 5 years. Whether or not you need to be employed or not if your PR was on the PTS scheme I'm not aware of, however, if you are on the Family Ties PR, after the age of 55 you do not need a job. I just renewed my REP in Sept after I turned 73.
SMS, you have strong local ties with respect to your family :) So, renewal is guaranteed.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by malcontent » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:03 am

My wife got her PR thru her parents, and the parents got theirs thru an investment scheme back in the 80’s (similar to GIP today, but a whole lot less investment back then). Does that mean she can retire at 55?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3119
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 8:47 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:03 am
My wife got her PR thru her parents, and the parents got theirs thru an investment scheme back in the 80’s (similar to GIP today, but a whole lot less investment back then). Does that mean she can retire at 55?
Should be OK in my view.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 8:56 am

Are you guys sure about that it's still 55 when the minimum retirement age has been raised to 62? And is going up slowly to 68 by 2030 or something like that.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Director
Director
Posts: 3119
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 9:07 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Thu, 17 Dec 2020 8:56 am
Are you guys sure about that it's still 55 when the minimum retirement age has been raised to 62? And is going up slowly to 68 by 2030 or something like that.
I mean't can retire at a specific age and continue to renew REP. Exact age, lets wait for someone to confirm.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by malcontent » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:32 pm

Does family ties PR apply to anyone who got PR through a relationship to some other PR who got it from PTS/GIS/etc? Does there ever come a time when a family ties PR has to meet the prevailing criteria to keep their PR, and if so is the criteria related back to the original PR?

Rumor has it that those who originally received PR under GIS either need to be physically present in Singapore for 6 months or more in a year, or employ at least 5 Singaporeans. But again, not sure what prevailing criteria for approval is applied beyond the original PR.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37640
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Dec 2020 3:22 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:54 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:28 pm
It still needs to be renewed every 5 years. Whether or not you need to be employed or not if your PR was on the PTS scheme I'm not aware of, however, if you are on the Family Ties PR, after the age of 55 you do not need a job. I just renewed my REP in Sept after I turned 73.
SMS, you have strong local ties with respect to your family :) So, renewal is guaranteed.
That is why it's called the Family Ties Scheme. ;-)

viewtopic.php?p=708731#p708731

Further to that, yes, you are required to have valid employment if you are on the PTS scheme.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... tesrep.pdf

Sadly, I have no current information on the intricacies of the GIS scheme, but I cannot see it having any weightage with the family ties option. Maybe a call to MAS will provide some further information?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests