Singapore Expats

REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
coolguy12619

Post by coolguy12619 » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 5:22 pm

Hi,
I have a query w.r.t to my status, I was a PR for around 6 years and my REP was renewed till 2018. I moved to the US in 2016 on company work (still in US) and as I expected my REP renewal post-2018 was rejected.
My question is geared more towards my status.

Now, I have not touched the CPF money and was able to access my CPF account even with expired REP.
If I have CPF account does it mean that I am still a PR.
Also does it mean that I still hold a valid PR and it is just the REP that is expired?
The reason being that, I am planning to eventually come back to Singapore so I dont want to burn any kind of bridges here, keeping that in mind, should I just leave my CPF as it is or it doesn't even matter?

Thanks a lot.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: REP Not Renewed PR Status?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 5:25 pm

No and no. CPF you can leave as long as you want unless you can find a better AAA savings facility paying a better rate of interest.

If you are out of Singapore without a valid re-entry permit, you have effectively given up your PR. If, on the other hand, your re-entry permit expired while you are in Singapore, you PR would still remain valid until such time as you left Singapore without the valid re-entry permit (that would mean even a trip to JB or Batam) until such time as you get it renewed. I've gone as long as 15 months without a re-entry permit - but never left the country until I did renew it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coolguy12619

Post by coolguy12619 » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks a lot, @sundaymorningstaple for your reply on the topic.
I know it is a long shot, but based on your experience do you know if there is a chance for me to get my PR back if leave the CPF money there ( just to re-affirm my intentions of returning back). Or Letter from my company stating why they had to transfer me to the US branch.
My Nationality is Indian.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 6:00 pm

coolguy12619 wrote:
Fri, 17 Jul 2020 5:34 pm
Thanks a lot, @sundaymorningstaple for your reply on the topic.
I know it is a long shot, but based on your experience do you know if there is a chance for me to get my PR back if leave the CPF money there ( just to re-affirm my intentions of returning back). Or Letter from my company stating why they had to transfer me to the US branch.
My Nationality is Indian.
If leaving CPF back and can get PR back, many will do that. It is not possible. Considering the current economic scenario, this is not even theoretically possible.

Ur REP expired 2 years ago, if you had appealed that time they may have given you a one year REP for you to come to SG and find job and settle in. Now you cant even appeal. So, it is almost gone.

Why will ICA be bothered for your company transferring you overseas and paying you overseas. If you were looking long term at Singapore, you should have denied the transfer and remained in SG and found another job.

Else, if in case your company transferred you out of SG, but if your salary was credited in SG and you pay tax in SG, then if you had appealed at that time via your company, you would have had a chance.

I assume you were granted PR under the PTS Scheme, where we are supposed to contribute back in the economic way to SG. if one is posted overseas and paid overseas, there will be no economic contribution to SG

Please don't take this as negative, but this is the reality.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 6:14 pm

As SF noted, your company is the one that has set the tone for your problem. Had then not 'transferred' you to their US operation, but seconded you there and continued to pay you via Singapore Payroll along with contributions to CPF, etc. you would have had a fighting chance. But, having left it for well over 12 months it's not going to happen that I can see.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 7:55 pm

Or second/ transfer you at the ‘right’ time. That means either at the start or latest middle of your 5-year REP. I went for overseas secondment in Year 2 of my REP and came back 18 months before renewal, got 5 years. Another colleague went in Y4 and Y5 and came back 2 months before renewal. He got one year then 5 years subsequently.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:12 am

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a question about REP renewal.

My parents (who have been PRs since early 2000s) recently applied for REP renewal. It wasn’t instantaneous but was approved for 5 years after 2 working days last week.

My dad has his own company here in Singapore but has stopped drawing a salary from it as he is now retired. Mum is and has always been a housewife.

They bought a house back home (in Pakistan) and since the start of 2017 they have been shuttling back and forth (they also have a house here in SG) though they spend the bulk of their time in Pakistan.

Frankly a bit surprised their PR got renewed as we thought for sure it’ll be rejected given that they don’t spend time in Singapore permanently. Any idea why/how it was renewed?

PS. Me and my sis (both PRs too) work and reside in SG though I believe that has no bearing on our parents’ PR

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:15 am

mystic_river wrote:
Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:12 am
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a question about REP renewal.

My parents (who have been PRs since early 2000s) recently applied for REP renewal. It wasn’t instantaneous but was approved for 5 years after 2 working days last week.

My dad has his own company here in Singapore but has stopped drawing a salary from it as he is now retired. Mum is and has always been a housewife.

They bought a house back home (in Pakistan) and since the start of 2017 they have been shuttling back and forth (they also have a house here in SG) though they spend the bulk of their time in Pakistan.

Frankly a bit surprised their PR got renewed as we thought for sure it’ll be rejected given that they don’t spend time in Singapore permanently. Any idea why/how it was renewed?

PS. Me and my sis (both PRs too) work and reside in SG though I believe that has no bearing on our parents’ PR
May be because they got the PR via the PTS Scheme and since retired, their REP was not impacted. How old is your dad?

Does he pay any income tax in Singapore or No? Is his company employing locals ?

These might be some of the reason.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:25 am

He’s 67. He’s self employed and has never employed anyone in his company. The company currently exists but as he is not drawing a salary anymore he has stopped paying income tax since 2 years ago (when he actually retired).

Will there be any issues in 2025 for REP renewal if he continues to spend the bulk of the time out of Singapore?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 21 Jul 2020 7:50 am

mystic_river wrote:
Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:25 am
He’s 67. He’s self employed and has never employed anyone in his company. The company currently exists but as he is not drawing a salary anymore he has stopped paying income tax since 2 years ago (when he actually retired).

Will there be any issues in 2025 for REP renewal if he continues to spend the bulk of the time out of Singapore?
IF he's retired I don't think there will be an issues as others have said. Where PTS people run into trouble is when they appear to be working overseas with no real apparent connection back to Singapore. That's not the case in your father's situation.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ilovefhf

Post by ilovefhf » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 9:55 am

is there any way to attach a cover letter for REP renewal application?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:41 am

ilovefhf wrote:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 9:55 am
U have asked the same message in 3 threads. Duplicate

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 5:43 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:41 am
ilovefhf wrote:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 9:55 am
U have asked the same message in 3 threads. Duplicate
Triplicate if I may correct a bit.

For the actual question what would you like to tell in cover letter that is not yet there available? They can see your tax and cpf contribution, PR kids and travel dates in and out, etc. So what's there to add that would have any impact on the rather straight forward process of REP renewal.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:00 pm

Just on a side note, how old does a PR need to be in order to be considered retired for the purposes of REP renewal? Is it the statutory retirement age (currently 62)?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:28 pm

It still needs to be renewed every 5 years. Whether or not you need to be employed or not if your PR was on the PTS scheme I'm not aware of, however, if you are on the Family Ties PR, after the age of 55 you do not need a job. I just renewed my REP in Sept after I turned 73.