Singapore Expats

Landlord getting over the line

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
kennethcyj

Landlord getting over the line

Post by kennethcyj » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 9:27 pm

Hi, I am an EP holder (Malaysian) and currently renting a stay in an HDB flat for a term of 1 year since March 2020.

Over the months, the landlord is getting more and more aggressive and disrespectful such as banging the door at midnight and demanding things that are not in the signed tenancy agreement such as following his "SOP" in doing things, yelling out of nowhere (this really concerns me because it sounded like he is about to hit someone), etc.

I've been trying to be patient and tolerant with him as it is my first time working here and don't wish to have any dispute to an extent I follow according to his "instruction" but over and over again he stepped over the line despite my effort of trying to follow whatever he asked for.

I've tried to respect him as an elderly and the landlord but in return, he is rude, disrespects me, and curses a lot at me.

Just today, he confronted me while I was washing the toilet according to his "SOP" and taking a bath together, I am unable to record the front part of the argument which is very intimidating as he bang the toilet door (which he claims that he knock but loudly - used the word " bang" because those are loud thuds) and when I finish cleaning up, he scolded me, etc.

I manage to record the "argument" when he is unable to scold me but still intimidating and begin to curse because I am asking for what he actually wants me to do. This really worries me as I felt dangerous of whatever he may do as when he is cursing at me, I felt very insecure as to he is about to attack me and threaten me to lodge a report as this is not the first time, I have no choice but to seek for your help on this matter.

Please take note that he has been screaming and shouting out of nowhere again and again (again, sounds like going to beat up someone).

I am only trying to compromise by doing what he says and complete my term as per tenancy agreement but he is taking more and more advantages on me.

I really hope anyone can help me or direct me to the correct body to seek assistance because I am here for the first year and not able to file a ROHA against him as per the Singapore legal advice.

Thank you and really hope you can help me with this.

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Landlord getting over the line

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 12 Jul 2020 8:14 am

Can you speak to his children? He definitely needs the money and needs someone to explain to him what is what. Unfortunately in these difficult times people are renting out rooms without realizing it's a two way transaction and not just about taking money. If you feel genuinely threatened at any time call the police.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

kennethcyj

Post by kennethcyj » Sun, 12 Jul 2020 1:28 pm

Hi, PNGMK, the thing is that the landlord lives alone and seems to be quite isolated.

I've tried to communicate nicely with him, be nice with him and of course with respect him but it seems that all these had been taken advantage of and the more I tried to hold back, the ruder he became.

The moment I've tried to explain, that's when the "gangster mode" or "defensive mode" is on and just like yesterday I was at the toilet and he doesn't allow me to go back to my room until I fed up and ignore what he says just to take my phone to record the "argument".

I mean it's my first time working here in Singapore for the long term and I really want to have a simple life rather than such.

sndy
Regular
Regular

Post by sndy » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 1:00 am

Maybe he wants you to vacate the house and hence is causing the unnecessary hassle. If thats the case why not start looking out.
Last edited by sndy on Mon, 13 Jul 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

kennethcyj

Post by kennethcyj » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 9:40 am

Thanks sndy.

I mean there is still more than half a year till the tenancy end. I mean I don't want any trouble but he is screaming and shouting on and off as if he is fighting someone even like just now.

I don't even dare to ask what happen, worrying that I am the one who will be hit.

Should I approach the local authorities like the police force for them to help him?

sndy
Regular
Regular

Post by sndy » Fri, 31 Jul 2020 3:13 pm

kennethcyj wrote:
Mon, 13 Jul 2020 9:40 am
Thanks sndy.

I mean there is still more than half a year till the tenancy end. I mean I don't want any trouble but he is screaming and shouting on and off as if he is fighting someone even like just now.

I don't even dare to ask what happen, worrying that I am the one who will be hit.

Should I approach the local authorities like the police force for them to help him?
Better give him notice and search for a new place

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:07 am

What happened in the end, Kenneth?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 12:05 pm

And what's the frequency?