Singapore Expats

PAP vs WP. WP now hold 10 seats.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: PAP vs WP. WP now hold 10 seats.

Post by the observer » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 7:40 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 6:08 pm
the observer wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 5:40 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 3:46 pm

I can sense that whilst the Ministers are holding their ground, the lower level MPs are seeking more protectionist measures. Dissent?
Maybe, some of the PAP are simply obtuse though. I am pleased with the leader of the opposition however. He has been very strategic and tactical in his suggestions. Nothing radical that the PAP can shake their finger at but the sort of suggestions (i.e. more subcommittees) that will create a wedge...
Main summary and key takeaways...

One man one vote. And there’s far more commoners than elites.

So, there’s no way populism will die down.

Edit: Unless they switch the internet off, and everyone reads only the ST.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 8:17 pm

Parliament: Employment Pass quota not unthinkable, but probably unwise, says Josephine Teo
https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/p ... %3A09%3A58

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 8:42 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 8:17 pm
Parliament: Employment Pass quota not unthinkable, but probably unwise, says Josephine Teo
https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/p ... %3A09%3A58
“For example, is an EP or S Pass applicant a replacement for a local who was only recently retrenched? If so, MOM will ask why and turn down the application unless there are very good reasons.”

PR + SC applications going into overdrive from tonight.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 10:38 pm

The PSP seems to take a harder stance...

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/p ... izen-ratio

"We stipulate that Singaporeans must be well-represented in the top management and human resource functions to ensure that the procedures are followed properly."

A foreigner-to-citizen ratio cap should be applied to all of such companies and their various departments, and Singapore should protect entry-level jobs for its new graduates.

He further said there should be a succession plan to replace each foreign manager at the end of his visa period, with further visa extension granted only if the manager is due for promotion and his previous position is taken up by a Singaporean.

Although he seems to speak on behalf of Singapore & not his party:

Mr Leong, who is from the Progress Singapore Party (PSP), assured the House his party will "uphold this Parliament as a Singaporean Parliament, and not a partisan Parliament"
the observer wrote:
Tue, 01 Sep 2020 8:42 pm
PR + SC applications going into overdrive from tonight.
They've been in overdrive ever since they cut the quotas significantly more than a decade ago.
Last edited by BigginHill on Tue, 01 Sep 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 01 Sep 2020 10:46 pm

This makes PSP looks like the Bersatu or now Pejuang of Singapore

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 8:49 am

JoTeo will lead to the downfall of the PAP. I wonder how long her ministry seat will be safe? I'm a little astonished that the normally hard nosed PAP leadership have given her a pass so far on her absolutely monumental stuff ups.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 9:24 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 02 Sep 2020 8:49 am
JoTeo will lead to the downfall of the PAP. I wonder how long her ministry seat will be safe? I'm a little astonished that the normally hard nosed PAP leadership have given her a pass so far on her absolutely monumental stuff ups.

I won't call it a downfall per se.
None of the opposition parties are ready to govern.

But the perception that Indian nationals are imported en masse is now so blown up, and being so visibly obvious, that it will be linger and sting PAP for the next few elections.

Other Asian nationals are "visibly less obvious". Although probably numerically as many or more. 8-[

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

PAP vs WP. WP now hold 10 seats.

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 9:35 am

the observer wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

But the perception that Indian nationals are imported en masse is now so blown up, and being so visibly obvious, that it will be linger and sting PAP for the next few elections.

Other Asian nationals are "visibly less obvious". Although probably numerically as many or more. 8-[
Because of the perception that those that were “imported” feel that they’re from the upper caste and are a class above the local Indians. Refusal to integrate vis a vis Malaysians (of any race). Also, the way they dominated an entire department, be it IT, risk, audit or whatever by bringing in their own kind, some of whom are less qualified than locals, professionally and academically.

The Oppies are likely to continue banging table with this rhetoric for a while.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 9:47 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Wed, 02 Sep 2020 9:35 am
the observer wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Because of the perception that those that were “imported” feel that they’re from the upper caste and are a class above the local Indians. Refusal to integrate vis a vis Malaysians (of any race). Also, the way they dominated an entire department, be it IT, risk, audit or whatever by bringing in their own kind, some of whom are less qualified than locals, professionally and academically.

The Oppies are likely to continue banging table with this rhetoric for a while.
But the opposition should have no incentives to resolve this matter and pacify the public.

Because the longer and bigger this issue manifests, the more the Opposition parties will thrive.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Sep 2020 9:53 am

The oppo needs to keep this issue foremost in the voter's minds. I am willing to bet that JoTeo will not serve out her term. MOM have been completely complicit in this - to the point of where there is smoke there must be fire....

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 05 Sep 2020 11:43 pm

the observer wrote:
Wed, 02 Sep 2020 9:24 am
PNGMK wrote:

Kind of shocked with the timing of this sudden blowup. Why now? This problem existed from a long time and if anything, it is much lower now than it used to be, after a lot of tightening that has already been done. Also, just after the elections, it doesnt make sense to me. Suddenly lots of new rules are being added. Minimum EP salary by sector and people above 40 should make double the minimum EP salary. Now that is a new one and I wonder, if this is going to trip a lot of people. I would imagine lots of 40 years olds work here and many of them dont earn over 10k.

I read this article from seedly. For a blog that does mostly credit card deals related posts, to post on this subject, tells me, it has become very mainstream discussion now.

https://blog.seedly.sg/minimum-salary-e ... ss-s-pass/

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 06 Sep 2020 8:53 pm

The latest on this is the mention of the DBs CEO Menon (who I think is a great CEO). Seems he got his PR and SC pretty damn fast when the offer of being a DBS CEO was on the table. OF course some where trying to claim he was 'homebrewed' or 'Singaporean' but he is clearly not. The other elephant in the room is NS - the reason we don't see Singapore man as CEO's of banks is they lose two years in their prime learning and career launch years in NS! I truly hope this storm doesn't blow over. I'm sick of the bias against Singapore young men.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 06 Sep 2020 10:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 06 Sep 2020 8:53 pm
The latest on this is the mention of the DBs CEO Menon (who I think is a great CEO). Seems he got his PR and SC pretty damn fast when the offer of being a DBS CEO was on the table. OF course some where trying to claim he was 'homebrewed' or 'Singaporean' but he is clearly not. The other elephant in the room is NS - the reason we don't see Singapore man as CEO's of banks is they lose two years in their prime learning and career launch years in NS! I truly hope this storm doesn't blow over. I'm sick of the bias against Singapore young men.
This needs a long term plan. Like what they want to achieve in 1 year, 5 years and 10 years. You cannot suddenly replace millions of foreigners, there are simply not enough locals who can take their places. Just increasing minimum salary doesnt help.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 07 Sep 2020 8:42 am

https://www.mom.gov.sg/documents-and-pu ... ce-numbers

There's only around 200k EP and 200k S-Pass holders or so. Not exactly millions, is it.

Unless you think that construction workers and blue collars are being resented by the online mob as well. I highly doubt it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Sep 2020 10:49 am

the observer wrote:
Mon, 07 Sep 2020 8:42 am
https://www.mom.gov.sg/documents-and-pu ... ce-numbers

There's only around 200k EP and 200k S-Pass holders or so. Not exactly millions, is it.

Unless you think that construction workers and blue collars are being resented by the online mob as well. I highly doubt it.
There are only ~3MM local born SC. Even less if you trace back a few gen. There are a LOT of imported SC/SPR.