Singapore Expats

PAP vs WP. WP now hold 10 seats.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

PAP vs WP. WP now hold 10 seats.

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 9:17 am

That's a historic swing against the PAP. It has never faced a larger opposition block. I expect the WP will push hard on issues of population density, migration and workers rights and while the PAP will try to maintain migration as it boosts their support I expect WP will make this tough.

In short you will see a reduction in SC and PR approvals I believe and quite possibly a push back on EP and WP quotas.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Re: PAP vs WP. WP now hold 10 seats.

Post by tt1973 » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 10:00 am

History in the making to have clinched 2 GRC .

Well done Singapore! Pity for East Coast, West Coast though!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:13 am

Time for the PAP to go back to do some soul-searching, just like GE2011.

GST hike, immigration, foreigner PMETs, minimum wage... PAP will need to tread carefully.

HSK’s and the wider 4G leadership abilities will be under close scrutiny as well. And LHL may need to stay on for longer than he wanted to.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:14 am

Yes but remember that is now 2 GRC in the control of an anti foreigner / migration party. Do not forget that. While they are not as bad as SDP no opposition party (IMO) supports the PAP levels of migration (via PR) or dependency on FT (via EP or WP).
Last edited by PNGMK on Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:14 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:13 am
Time for the PAP to go back to do some soul-searching, just like GE2011.

GST hike, immigration, foreigner PMETs, minimum wage... PAP will need to tread carefully.

HSK’s and the wider 4G leadership abilities will be under close scrutiny as well. And LHL may need to stay on for longer than he wanted to.
Yep. There is a lot of anger against the PAP for those points indeed and some of the results showed that the PAP came damn close to losing a lot more than 10 seats.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:22 am

At least WP is not or doesn’t appear to be as hardcore anti-FT, anti- immigration as PV and SDP who outright ask for FTA to be abolished or renegotiated. But with 10 seats in the house, they know the expectation is there for them to challenge the PAP on this.

Will be interesting to see what approach the PAP will take with regards to FT and immigration.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 12 Jul 2020 8:16 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020 11:22 am
At least WP is not or doesn’t appear to be as hardcore anti-FT, anti- immigration as PV and SDP who outright ask for FTA to be abolished or renegotiated. But with 10 seats in the house, they know the expectation is there for them to challenge the PAP on this.

Will be interesting to see what approach the PAP will take with regards to FT and immigration.
Well they are between a rock and a hard place but i expect whole scale cut backs of PR and SC approvals in the short term and as I have been predicting a long hard look at EP holders in the PMET brackets to see if those jobs can be flipped to a local.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Sun, 12 Jul 2020 11:19 am

Interesting discussion but holy-moley is this thread dense with acronyms hard for the average expat to understand :???:
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 1:44 am

Nah, PAP will not reduce PR , SC whatever EP. They will increase partly because they want to push further is all about Money end of the day. Reserves been used , is time to top up back trying and getting ways to fill back the reserves.

IF this GE , is more than one GRC been won by Opposition and two SMC than they will more Seriously look into it.

In fact They want to reduce also can't , due to Covi19 , I can see quite a lot foreigner investors , etc plan to close or move out of SG perhaps or already is .

Do note also high rental in Singapore. In fact before Covi19 strike further in Singapore, I notice foreigner investors already move up to neighbour Malaysia and Vietnam as there the rental at least cheaper than in SG.

come to Jobs, like Nurse, cleaners, Construction workers still needed , no doubt Gov need more .

Simply because SIngaporean never do these jobs due to education factors,

for Nurse still have some locals will fill up

Construction workers, this of course are those foreigner workers. The locals more into manage.
Cleaners, yes there are some locals doing but mostly local elderly beside PRC , " those from village ones " not from Shanghi or Beijing , these PRC mostly into management job in SG etc.

next come Public transport, mostly Malaysian , PRC + locals.

Hawkers, F&B side mostly Pinyo, PRC , Malaysian + locals.

come IT , this ...I can for see never change still CECA . Next Punggol going to have an IT hub also an international Indian school will be there.

SG is pushing IT back end surely they still need more CECA .

Actually Singaporean is piss off due to some corporation , etc the HR are not locals , there are bias selection come interview etc. This Surely Gov can't control that is The corporation, company private things etc.

MOM rules is a Company must employ certain numbers of locals than can employ foreigners but these system also got loopholes depend how that company " play around "

Nevertheless all these are Politicians job , this is why they are been pay so much to fix problems and come out good ones how to improve the Country and people life in Singapore.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 9:57 am

Would have been more interesting if West Coast and East Coast won.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 10:22 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 13 Jul 2020 9:57 am
Having an actual opposition leader (and two PSP NMCP) is quite amazing as it is.

An opposition leader can do things like form a decent coalition among the existing oppo parties and even convince PAP members to cross party lines on certain issues.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 12:26 pm

Yeah, no need to push down FT numbers, because their numbers have already started going down in a hurry I hear, courtesy of Corona.

As WD stated earlier, once HR realizes that Zooming works equally well from Melbourne, Bangalore, London, and what have you, as it does from Tampines, East Coast en HV, many of the expats still remaining here will shortly be facing the old heave-ho.

That said, Singapore is resourceful; they always seem to be able to reinvent themselves. They may once again come up with a rabbit.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 2:32 pm

Yep. Singapore may shrink a lot more than we realize.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 3:18 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 13 Jul 2020 9:57 am
I can't believe how small a margin (53.41%) saved the next PM designate from getting kicked out of parliament (& government)...
Max Headroom wrote:
Mon, 13 Jul 2020 12:26 pm
That said, Singapore is resourceful; they always seem to be able to reinvent themselves. They may once again come up with a rabbit.
Definitely.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 13 Jul 2020 3:27 pm

Some may say it’s a brilliant tactical move to prevent the headline that reads ‘PAP lost 3 GRCs and an SMC’. But at what cost? For a PM in waiting to be sitting in a ward with a wafer-thin margin is such a disadvantage and it’s scary.

GCT and LHL never left their home base and their vote shares are always higher than the national popular votes. Even Tharman (more so) and Teo Chee Hean never moved bases.

Meanwhile, the call for Tharman to be PM has resurfaced when LHL hinted that the transition plan may have been delayed or derailed. Let’s see the cabinet line up that’s due to be announced in 2 weeks’ time.