Singapore Expats

Would you order food with others nearby to save on delivery costs?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Would you order food with others nearby to save on delivery costs?

Post by abbby » Mon, 06 Jul 2020 9:24 am

it's a good idea considering Grabfood charges a high fee for delivery for each delivery. And even more expensive recently that they've increased the delivery fees..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:00 pm

Actually, grab food already bulks orders together so delivery drivers deliver multiple orders at once.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 2:25 pm

yes sometimes with our neighbors.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 8:15 am

I consider the delivery cost very fair. We are talking about SGD4-6 range, correct? Actually I have asked myself many times how does this make any economical sense to have it so cheap and I would expect this $4-6 is already subsidized (by restaurants+delivery agents).

These guys go first to do a pickup where they often wait some time (5-15 min, or 10-25 including riding?), and then ride to deliver (another 10-20 min and 1-5 km per location). What do they earn an hour for, say, a 6-8h shift?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 10:37 am

I stopped ordering online because the delivery charges were getting out of hand. The whole premise of ordering online was that you can get a decent meal delivered to your place at a decent price. If it turns out that wasn't a viable business to begin with, then it should cease to exist. Failing that, they may of course try raising rates and see if the market can "digest" this. If so, good for them. But I've bailed.

The same applies to private taxis. They started off as an ok deal, but nett nett, they've been nudging rates up ever since. I took them frequently back then, but now I think twice, thrice before booking one.

Frankly, I don't care about whether pricing is "fair" or not. I aim to pay as little as reasonably possible. Naturally, I expect my customers to have the same idea.

Business is Darwinian. It's the way it is.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 12:29 pm

Out of curiosity, if paying $4-6 for delivery is so expensive what would you consider as reasonably acceptable?
Clearly all the grabs, pandas, deliveroos do not show any strong signs of getting bankrupt any soon.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:33 am

X9200, If I'm about to order a $5-10 meal and the delivery is $4-6, than - for me - that delivery component is proportionately too high.

If they want to compel me to trigger, certainly on a repeated basis, then they need to halve that fee.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:57 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 9:33 am
X9200, If I'm about to order a $5-10 meal and the delivery is $4-6, than - for me - that delivery component is proportionately too high.

If they want to compel me to trigger, certainly on a repeated basis, then they need to halve that fee.
Completely agree. Most times I order delivery are for myself when I’m too lazy to cook. The meal never amounts to more than $15-$20. To pay a $4-$6 delivery fee seems so excessive, I almost always get flustered and just skip the meal.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:59 am

x9200 wrote:
Sat, 27 Feb 2021 8:15 am
I consider the delivery cost very fair. We are talking about SGD4-6 range, correct? Actually I have asked myself many times how does this make any economical sense to have it so cheap and I would expect this $4-6 is already subsidized (by restaurants+delivery agents).

These guys go first to do a pickup where they often wait some time (5-15 min, or 10-25 including riding?), and then ride to deliver (another 10-20 min and 1-5 km per location). What do they earn an hour for, say, a 6-8h shift?
The $4-$6 is very reasonable if you are ordering a large meal or sharing the fee with other people. If you are ordering a $10 or $20 meal for yourself, it becomes very exorbitant in comparison.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 3:48 pm

Max, I know what you mean but I think the earlier statements are misleading. This is not that $4-6 is a high cost of delivery, it's not, it's very reasonable, but simply using the services on regular bases is expensive. I have no objections to such statement. I order online few times a month and if I need to do it daily I would also find it expensive, despite the costs of individual orders reasonable.

By the way, I use Deliveroo, and they have some subscription plans:
https://deliveroo.com.sg/plus
The min amount is higher than what you mentioned but it is not that far off.

And yes, the delivery cost could be 30-50% of the order. Smaller order won't make the delivery cheaper whether we like it or not.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 8:13 am

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 3:48 pm
Max, I know what you mean but I think the earlier statements are misleading. This is not that $4-6 is a high cost of delivery, it's not, it's very reasonable, but simply using the services on regular bases is expensive. I have no objections to such statement. I order online few times a month and if I need to do it daily I would also find it expensive, despite the costs of individual orders reasonable.

By the way, I use Deliveroo, and they have some subscription plans:
https://deliveroo.com.sg/plus
The min amount is higher than what you mentioned but it is not that far off.

And yes, the delivery cost could be 30-50% of the order. Smaller order won't make the delivery cheaper whether we like it or not.
I order exclusively from Grabfood or Foodpanda. Every previous time I’ve decided to give deliveroo a chance, the food has arrived late, cold, and often times with items missing. I hate how hard it is to track your order, so you’re just supposed to sit around and hope it arrives.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 2:10 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 02 Mar 2021 8:13 am
I order exclusively from Grabfood or Foodpanda. Every previous time I’ve decided to give deliveroo a chance, the food has arrived late, cold, and often times with items missing. I hate how hard it is to track your order, so you’re just supposed to sit around and hope it arrives.
I started with Foodpanda a few years back and just could not tolerate the amount of spam coming to my account and repeated requests to stop it, all ignored. My wife got some serious misses with them like order cancellation after almost two hours of waiting. No such problems with Deliveroo and very seldom any delays or cold food.

As with many delivery services I think it all depends on the local arrangements so who locally delivers. Same goes for Singpost, Pizza Hut and many others. We noticed significant differences in service quality when we moved to a different district.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 4:18 pm

I stick to foodpanda and grabfood, typically more on foodpanda cos where I am there's some free delivery options, $1.99 delivery fee to about $5 which I feel is fair.

Grabfood on the other hand can be quite expensive on delivery like starts from $5 - $7 during peak hours. and the prices keeps fluctuating.

On reliability, both are equal.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

kchan10

Post by kchan10 » Sat, 06 Mar 2021 6:37 am

Same for me I mostly use Grabfood and Foodpanda. Deliveroo - I only used it once but found it ok...ish

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sat, 06 Mar 2021 4:20 pm

kchan10 wrote:
Sat, 06 Mar 2021 6:37 am
Same for me I mostly use Grabfood and Foodpanda. Deliveroo - I only used it once but found it ok...ish
Had a bad experience, ordered Japanese food during a birthday at home, ended up waiting for 1+ hours before the food came. Screw up on delivery end..after that, I stuck to Gradfood and Foodpanda. Also, could not find the button to reach out to Deliveroo staff.