Singapore Expats

PR Approved, but soon to do Graduate Studies

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mrkroner

PR Approved, but soon to do Graduate Studies

Post by mrkroner » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 1:56 pm

Hi :D I'm an EP holder here and just got my PR application approved. However, I'm in a stage of a great confusion now :'( can anybody help?

1. I can't remember the last time I checked the status (I think around 3 weeks ago). I'm not sure of when it was approved. Sadly, I relocated into a new house and forgot to change my mailing address @SingPass until the moment I noticed the approval. I've contacted my previous landlord just in case that the approval letter was sent there, but sadly she's not very responsive. Anyone knows how long does it usually take for them to send the approval letter once the application has been approved? I've also emailed ICA and it seems that it'll take some time for them to reply.

2. At the same time, my contract ends at the end of July as I'm planning to pursue a graduate studies (also in Sg) which will start on this year's August. As I'm to surrender my EP soon, I'm afraid that there's this point of time where I'm not holding EP anymore and still waiting for my student's pass to be issued. If I haven't completed the PR formalities, will the whole application be reprimanded? Any suggestions for me on what should I do?

Thanks a lot! :)

WCF

Re: PR Approved, but soon to do Graduate Studies

Post by WCF » Thu, 02 Jul 2020 6:37 pm

You’re not alone bro. I got it approved on 22nd June (from both Ienquiry and myica portal) but there is no IPA letter in my mailbox as of now, almost checking my mailbox twice per day. :/

MADINA

Post by MADINA » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 7:42 am

mrkroner wrote:
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 1:56 pm
Hi :D I'm an EP holder here and just got my PR application approved. However, I'm in a stage of a great confusion now :'( can anybody help?

1. I can't remember the last time I checked the status (I think around 3 weeks ago). I'm not sure of when it was approved. Sadly, I relocated into a new house and forgot to change my mailing address @SingPass until the moment I noticed the approval. I've contacted my previous landlord just in case that the approval letter was sent there, but sadly she's not very responsive. Anyone knows how long does it usually take for them to send the approval letter once the application has been approved? I've also emailed ICA and it seems that it'll take some time for them to reply.

2. At the same time, my contract ends at the end of July as I'm planning to pursue a graduate studies (also in Sg) which will start on this year's August. As I'm to surrender my EP soon, I'm afraid that there's this point of time where I'm not holding EP anymore and still waiting for my student's pass to be issued. If I haven't completed the PR formalities, will the whole application be reprimanded? Any suggestions for me on what should I do?

Hi, when did you apply for PR?

MADINA

Post by MADINA » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 7:44 am

WCF wrote:
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 6:37 pm
You’re not alone bro. I got it approved on 22nd June (from both Ienquiry and myica portal) but there is no IPA letter in my mailbox as of now, almost checking my mailbox twice per day. :/
Hi, when did you apply for PR?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 9:41 am

Congrats to the both of you..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 10:29 am

mrkroner wrote:
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 1:56 pm

Since you are granted PR based on PTS Scheme, you will surely need to have a job (EP) when they issue you the PR

Letter will take 1-3 weeks to reach you. Because of the pandemic there is a chance it may be slightly longer too

Where are you from? How long is your graduate degree? Local University?

Also when you renew your REP after 5 years, you need to show that you have CPF contribution for the last 2 years?

mrkroner

Post by mrkroner » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 6:48 pm

I will be taking a PhD in NUS starting from August. It'll be a 4-year programme. I think the CPF contribution shouldn't be a problem had I "officially" granted the PR (i.e. once the formalities are done, etc etc) as the scholarship will cover the CPF contribution when I receive the stipend each month. The problem now is I'm not sure whether the whole formalities can be done in one month if it's truly necessary for me to present the EP... Is that true that If I can get the appointment before end of July (i.e. I'm still holding the EP) then they will grant me the PR? How if the appointment date is in August (i.e. I'm no longer holding my EP as my PhD starts alr)? Will the application be aborted? Is this just race-with-time thing?

I'm an Indonesian Chinese btw

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 7:06 pm

mrkroner wrote:
Fri, 03 Jul 2020 6:48 pm
I will be taking a PhD in NUS starting from August. It'll be a 4-year programme. I think the CPF contribution shouldn't be a problem had I "officially" granted the PR (i.e. once the formalities are done, etc etc) as the scholarship will cover the CPF contribution when I receive the stipend each month. The problem now is I'm not sure whether the whole formalities can be done in one month if it's truly necessary for me to present the EP... Is that true that If I can get the appointment before end of July (i.e. I'm still holding the EP) then they will grant me the PR? How if the appointment date is in August (i.e. I'm no longer holding my EP as my PhD starts alr)? Will the application be aborted? Is this just race-with-time thing?

I'm an Indonesian Chinese btw
Technically yes, you need to have your EP to be valid on the day you are officialy granted the PR, since the PR was granted to you based on your education and work under the PTS scheme. So, if you dont hold a EP in Aug and your appointment for PR completion is in Aug, yes they wont allow you to complete the PR formalities. This is based on what I know.

Why not hold your EP a bit longer and then cancel it? You have to make a good decision. You cant have the cake and eat it too.

Please read

https://va.ecitizen.gov.sg/cfp/customer ... refaq.aspx
My Singapore PR application has been approved. However, my employer refuses to sign the EP152. What should I do?

This should give you a very direct answer, that your employment/EP needs to be valid to complete your PR Formalities as you are granted PR under the PTS Scheme.

Are you sure the scholarship covers your CPF too? Both your employer and employee contribution?

SWE3987

Post by SWE3987 » Sat, 04 Jul 2020 12:34 am

What matters is the date on which your employment contract ends. As long as you manage to book an appointment for PR formalities before that date, you are still okay because you would still be an EP holder and work at the same company. Since you mentioned that your contract ends at the end of July, it is still very hopeful as long as you start the preparation process right now even though you have not received the IPA. I suggest you do the following:

1. go to the CPF website (https://www.cpf.gov.sg), login with singpass and do the health declaration (click "My Requests" on the left panel after login), download the acknowledgment letter when you are done. During the process, you would encounter a ref number that looks like this: ENT/XXXXXX/XX, note this down.

2. go to https://eservices.ica.gov.sg/ibook to book the appointment for PR formalities anyway without the IPA, select a date before but close to your contract expiry date so that you would have the longest possible time preparing for formalities. When booking the appointment, you will need the ref number just mentioned and you need to guess the date on which your PR is approved (this date is not always the date appeared on the myICA app)

3. start preparing whatever documents needed for completion of formalities so that the moment you receive your IPA letter you will be ready to go to the ICA! Start with EP152 (a document enclosed with the IPA letter for employment certification). Your HR should be very familiar with EP152. Find out if he/she has an empty EP152 form. If they do, ask them to fill it out for you but LEAVE THE DATE BLANK (they’ll get it)! If they don’t have a copy, give me your email or whatever, I can send you a softcopy for printing.

4. If you have submitted a medical report to ICA or MoM within the past two years (e.g., for EP) you don’t have to do a medical exam. Otherwise go do the medical exam using this form: https://www.ica.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... report.pdf

5. prepare the originals of ALL the documents you submitted at the time of application (e.g., birth certificate, diploma, transcripts, employer’s letter stating position and salary, etc.), AND your latest payslip, 2 passport-sized photos and the acknowledgment letter from CPF.

If you have done all these, from the day you receive your IPA onwards you will be ready to go to the ICA for completion of formalities! If you have any questions, post it down below.

(I have just been through this process so I want to help others smoothly go through it too. Good luck!)