Singapore Expats

Does PR expire when REP does?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 4:01 pm

Just wanted to clarify what happens if REP expires- i will be able to live as i have in SG as long as i dont travel outside? Is there a time limit as to when i should get it renewed?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Does PR expire when REP does?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 5:22 pm

Yes correct. Yes before it expires.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 5:38 pm

Within 3 months of its expiry i.e. the earliest you can apply is 3 months before it expires

meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 6:16 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 5:22 pm
it expires this dec, but what happens if im only renewing end of next year for instance ?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 6:46 pm

meeeeeeel wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
it expires this dec, but what happens if im only renewing end of next year for instance ?
The question is why do you deliberately wait for one year after the expiry when you’re physically in Singapore?

Renewal is to be done online without supporting documents and it’s approved almost instantaneously for most cases. If you plan to renew after it expires, you will need to apply in person at ICA with supporting documents.
Last edited by jamie9vardy on Tue, 30 Jun 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:32 pm

meeeeeeel wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 6:16 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Depends on where are you going to be for that one year. If you stay out of SG without a valid REP, it will void your PR.

meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:47 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:32 pm
meeeeeeel wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Depends on where are you going to be for that one year. If you stay out of SG without a valid REP, it will void your PR.
i will be staying in singapore, just that im recently self employed and not in a stable financial situation- will that affect my application?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:51 am

meeeeeeel wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:47 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
meeeeeeel wrote:

i will be staying in singapore, just that im recently self employed and not in a stable financial situation- will that affect my application?

ICA will know/look for
Income Tax NOA for the last 1 year if you are self employed.

meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:55 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:51 am
meeeeeeel wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

ICA will know/look for
if i prefer to wait out till end of next year till im more stable , will it affect my PR status or future REP renewals in any ways?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:07 pm

meeeeeeel wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:55 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
meeeeeeel wrote:

ICA will know/look for
if i prefer to wait out till end of next year till im more stable , will it affect my PR status or future REP renewals in any ways?
What will you do if you need to travel out of SG due to unforeseen circumstances when your REP is not renewed? Better try to stabilize your job before REP renewal. That will be the best thing to do.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:12 pm

How did you obtain your PR? PTS or family scheme? I reckon it’s PTS since you’re concerned about your income.

Like what SF pointed out, ICA will anyway know your employment status and income level through other agencies such as IRAS and CPF board. That’s why ICA can grant renewal instantaneously for a BAU case.

If you insist on waiting for a year post expiry then it’s a risk you need to take. No one here can tell for certain if ICA will renew your PR, or make the decision for you. You will need to be prepared to explain to ICA in person, provide more supporting documents and why you deliberately not renew it. But it seems like you have pretty made up your mind then go ahead and wait till end of next year. There is no need to come here to seek the reassurance that no one is able to provide you with.

meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:16 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:12 pm
How did you obtain your PR? PTS or family scheme? I reckon it’s PTS since you’re concerned about your income.

Like what SF pointed out, ICA will anyway know your employment status and income level through other agencies such as IRAS and CPF board. That’s why ICA can grant renewal instantaneously for a BAU case.

If you insist on waiting for a year post expiry then it’s a risk you need to take. No one here can tell for certain if ICA will renew your PR, or make the decision for you. You will need to be prepared to explain to ICA in person, provide more supporting documents and why you deliberately not renew it. But it seems like you have pretty made up your mind then go ahead and wait till end of next year. There is no need to come here to seek the reassurance that no one is able to provide you with.
im considering my options. also i obtained through family when i was 15. im 30 now

meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:21 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:07 pm
meeeeeeel wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 11:55 am
singaporeflyer wrote:

ICA will know/look for
What will you do if you need to travel out of SG due to unforeseen circumstances when your REP is not renewed? Better try to stabilize your job before REP renewal. That will be the best thing to do.
makes sense. but to clarify, my PR status will still be valid as long as i stay in singapore?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:22 pm

Yes it will.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:24 pm

But remember, if you get drunk with your friends and decide to roll over the JB for the evening and don't have a valid re-entry permit, you are screwed. Full Stop.

For the record, I did just that at the age of 56 when I was between jobs for 15 months. Then we I didn't go, because my PR was based on Family Ties, I was told that because I was over 55 I didn't need a job at all. But I forgot to ask them if the age thing applied to PTS PRs. I have a feeling that is a different kettle of fish.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers