Singapore Expats

Stamford American School Singapore Review

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
Lorykil

Stamford American School Singapore Review

Post by Lorykil » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 1:37 am

Moving from one city to another in the wake of the year is an unnerving process for parents and their children. You will definitely have to research for another school for your children and help them adjust to the new environment and new curriculum quickly. That is what happened to us in 2017 after moving to Woodleigh for work.

On my regular online tours, I landed on a post where one parent recommended Stamford American School Singapore to new parents and parents moving to this area. After so many consultations and school visits, I decided to move my five year's old daughter to the school with much energy and expectations that she will adjust quickly to the American Curriculum and catch up with the rest of the class.

I am now a proud parent of Stamford American International School Singapore actively involved in all the projects and activities pertaining to children especially on Natalia’s class, community work, and parent’s activities. Since I know the hustle that goes with choosing a school for a child after migrating to a new place, I’ve decided to share my own experience with the school from Management, student affairs, curriculum, results, extra-curricula activities, teachers and fees among many other things.

SAIS Singapore is an International School that is popularly known for providing education to students from 18 months to 18 years. They offer International Baccalaureate (IB) programmers to all the students, which is why some parents choose the school for their children.

Going to the school for the first day is assumed to be easy because they have included some directions on their site and contact details for the case someone wants more information.

Before admission, just like any other parent, it’s essential to book for a personal tour in the school through the website. This is actually an important process because that is when you're going to see the school and experience everything from how the teachers behave, the Management and the student community.

Facilitating admission is very easy and straightforward. Among many things is because you will be offered someone to help you facilitate the admission. The Management has stated clearly that the admission process for new students should be seamlessly possible for anyone regardless of where they're coming from.

All students, regardless of age and grade, are treated uniquely and vetted to determine their eligibility for the current grade. The parent and the child are given priority and given directions, counsel, and support to make them relax and have peace of mind.

The first day in school is expected to be a challenge for students of all ages. Stamford American International School Singapore uniquely offers a nice environment for the child during their first day in school.

Understanding my daughter is a little older, and this was not the first day in school, the workers make it easy for such a student. They want to make the parent and the child become familiar with the school together.

Socializing with the students and workers was easy. Understand this is a new school, and putting up with a group of students that have already become a community of friends is hard. Each worker and teachers are well behaved and helpful.

Unlike the experiences I had with the previous school, students were not very welcoming, making it hard for someone new to socialize and make friends on the first day. For me, I clearly understand that looking for a school that offers convenience for parents and students is the best thing. The issue with the distance to school from home is not what I wanted. Though, given the activities in the school and the quality of education, I wouldn’t complain. ](*,)

Stamford American International School is very much an American Institution. The curriculum for the students from Kindergarten to Grade 7 will have to follow an American Based Curriculum centered on American Education Reaches Out and Common Core Plus frameworks.

The curriculum is not an issue to me because it has so much focus on math, PE, social studies, languages, arts, and science. The Stamford American International School has a huge focus on building literacy skills from a young age. The school offers more than 40IB courses to the students if they take the IBDP.

Teachers are good; that's according to my experience, results, performance, and comments I get from my daughter daily. The teacher concentrates on every single detail and student to make sure they get exactly what is required for the class.

Although I haven't gone beyond that to research on the teachers, I feel like this school uplifts my daughter to the best levels. That’s why she’s performing well in mathematics and athletics. For the starting, I wanted a school that concentrates on sciences, mathematics, and sports, which I finally found. Having a couple of trained coaches, I can be sure she’s on the right hands.

Parents are also conscious of fees and other monetary responsibilities of the school. The fees are lower for students from Kindergarten to Grade 5 but raise significantly for students from Grade 6-Grade 8. To get an insight about the current fees, it’s important to visit the school or contact them via official contacts. I personally feel like the fees is crushing, but given all the activities going on in the school, quality of learning, teachers' and workers' qualifications, it’s worth the money.

I also have to touch on Innovation and Mentoring because I feel like those are the things this generation needs. The Stamford American International School is one of its kind offering Science, engineering, technology, mathematics, and innovations programs for the little ones. This is beyond the STEM programs that we see in almost all schools.

Which parent wouldn't want to see their children participate in games, athletics, and music? Given that my daughter is into art and athletics, I was so careful with the activities offered in the school. Stamford American International School Singapore has a couple of games and music lessons for the students.

My daughter has lived up to my expectations in all fields, both co-curricular, sports, and academics. Having moved to this city from Yushin, I was very skeptical about finding an Institution for a competitive environment for her. Thanks to the team at Stamford American international school, I’ve peace of mind knowing she is smoothly developing. It may not be the best school in Singapore overall, but SAIS Singapore is worth my money and my child’s future. :D :D :D

If anybody else had some experience with this school please share your thoughts :???:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Stamford American School Singapore Review

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 Jun 2020 8:59 am

It's just another for profit school. As soon as the shareholders want a better return they will use cheaper teachers, plagaized teaching materials and neglect the campus maintenance and cancel all ECAs. (I'm not saying they are doing that now but this is a well trodden path in the history of for profit schools). How much discount did they offer for your grovelling recommendation post anyways?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lorykil

Post by Lorykil » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 12:33 am

I may not be very sure whether Stamford American School Singapore is different from ISS, especially on the matter of finances. It’s definitely a very common practice with all International Schools. I wouldn’t be very concerned about the fees as long as the school is offering a great learning environment for my daughter and supports the community in academic matters.

I said I am a current parent and I haven’t noticed that the school was too expensive as you claim. Comparing SASS with other similar schools head to head, you wouldn’t generalize the claim of being too expensive.

Considering the facilities, the student, parent, and teachers' activities in the school, you can agree that the fee is worth it. My daughter has not complained a bit about the school, teachers, activities, learning, or the facilities. She’s always happy to go back to school with lots of smiles.

This is attributed to the exemplary teaching, and the community feels of Stamford American school Singapore. The girl enjoys her time in school so much and always compliments that she’s learning new things daily. Being so into athletics, you can be sure she finds the school welcoming and a good environment for her out of class activities.

I am just sharing my experience as a parent that cares so much about the school and the comfort of the kid and the quality of education the child gets. Even after joining the school for the first time, our transitioning was made easy, and the teachers have vibrant personalities and were always ready to assist.

As much as someone may complain about the school, I believe it’s the best school for my child. She has enjoyed the years in school and everything happening in this school. She always comes home, talking about what she was taught.

Teachers have really supported my daughter and cared for her. Generally, she has progressed massively for the last years. She is very happy and always compliments that the teaching and non-teaching staff is fun and always supportive.

I'm really happy with my child's progress, and I haven't found anything to complain about. The teachers have proven to be productive and capable of helping children from the lowest grade cope with learning and get good results.

I wouldn’t also complain about the learning environment. The team here is helpful, especially for speech, sound tots interventions, and language. With such an environment, the child has improved greatly from the day of the reception.

She now gets to class with loads of confidence and comes in the evening, smiling. She is also always happy with the topics and going on those exciting trips. As a parent, I’ve found that as the main reason why she should be there. A child should always be happy learning new topics and interacting with the teachers.

As a parent at Stamford American School Singapore, I've found all the staff in the school and particularly the management and the teachers, very approachable and friendly. It’s pleasant to send my daughter to school every month, knowing that everything will move smoothly throughout the day.

I wouldn’t complete this before I mention that most of the teachers have the ability to address and solve problems involving students and other players in the school. They give valuable advice to parents and students all the time.

As if that is not enough, you will find the PTA and other teachers parent organizations very involving and enjoyable. That is needed for the progress of the school and the overall success of individual students.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 03 Jul 2020 9:56 am

This is just a poor attempt at social media marketing.

Let me tell you about Stamford American School. It's a school funded by investors who want bang for their buck. They're not in it for altruism or philanthropy. Right now they are literally shitting their pants with covid because enrollments in all FSS are falling with expats losing their jobs every minute of the day. Those investors right now are thinking "how do we fix this" and most of their suggestions will be around cutting costs. This means they will NOT replace expat teachers or staff with expats but with local yokels. They will cut out any extraneous expenditure including texts books, online programs, ECAs etc. They may even be trying to get in new investors and unfortunately as my experience has shown me that can lead to the wrong type of investor. Did you know Michael Milkin is an investor in a well known FSS here?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lorykil

Post by Lorykil » Fri, 10 Jul 2020 3:00 am

I only can blame virus and crisis for that