Singapore Expats

Anyone ever bring dog via cabin to SG from the UK/Ireland/Aus/NZ??

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
JillKatherineBroderick

Anyone ever bring dog via cabin to SG from the UK/Ireland/Aus/NZ??

Post by JillKatherineBroderick » Fri, 26 Jun 2020 12:21 am

Hi there,

My husband will be moving to Singapore joining me (as I'm currently in quarantine myself!) and bringing our dog. I have gone through the requirements extensively. We have lived in the UK for the last 6 years and my husband is just waiting for approval in his home in Ireland. We are planning for him to bring our dog in-cabin from Dublin to Singapore. This seems as if it is fine to be done - I have combed through all the documents required, the only one I cannot find information about is the 'Captain's Declaration' that needs to be signed by the captain or crew of the aircraft. I have called the airline to ask about this but they have no idea what I'm talking about. Has anyone had any luck with this document? Or bringing their small dog into Singapore via the Uk or other Category A country via cabin? Much appreciated.

EDIT: Resolved - finally had some feedback from the airlines! Fingers crossed it all goes well. Thanks!

Thanks!
Last edited by JillKatherineBroderick on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Anyone ever bring dog via cabin to SG from the UK/Ireland/Aus/NZ??

Post by tt1973 » Sat, 27 Jun 2020 8:58 pm

Can you bring a dog into the cabin?

No idea about the procedures, perhaps others can advise.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:17 pm

What airline? They all have their own policies with respect to pets in a cabin. Who told you about this "captain's declaration"?

JillKatherineBroderick

Post by JillKatherineBroderick » Sun, 28 Jun 2020 9:30 pm

Hi, yes - you can bring pets depending on size and airline. The Captain's Declaration is part of the paperwork AVS requires for importing a pet into Singapore, or if you ever bring a pet out and then back if you are taking them with you on holiday. Same procedure anytime you're bringing an animal into the country. Anyway, answered my own Q but will update with a success story hopefully!

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 8:38 am

Short answer is yes you can bring a dog from Ireland with minimal paperwork and effort. I brought one over for a family member and all she had to pay was the excess baggage charges and show proof of vaccinations.
However, I would strongly advise against relocating a dog here from Ireland if you have the option to leave it there. The dog I brought back to SG from Ireland had a terrible time with heat, humidity, ticks, skin infections, and a host of other issues. The climate difference was just too much and she passed away from heatstroke a couple of years later.
Totally your choice, but I would think long and hard about what is best for the dog in the long run. If it is used to a garden, company all day, etc and it then finds itself in a condo on its own most of the time, ask yourself if it is fair on the dog to move it to such a different environment?