Singapore Expats

Working remotely while under Employment Pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
expat_anonymous

Working remotely while under Employment Pass

Post by expat_anonymous » Sat, 20 Jun 2020 4:21 pm

I am under Employment Pass. Am I allowed to work for another remote job (the company is not in Singapore and not relevant to Singapore in any way) during my free time? (Given that the company I am working under EP in Singapore is ok with that)

If I can work, do I need to pay tax in Singapore for that?

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Working remotely while under Employment Pass

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 20 Jun 2020 11:02 pm

expat_anonymous wrote:
Sat, 20 Jun 2020 4:21 pm
I am under Employment Pass. Am I allowed to work for another remote job (the company is not in Singapore and not relevant to Singapore in any way) during my free time? (Given that the company I am working under EP in Singapore is ok with that)

If I can work, do I need to pay tax in Singapore for that?
I know for a fact that Singapore does not permit someone to work for another company in Singapore while on EP.

I have never seen a specific ruling from MoM, nor have I ever seen a post in 16 years of being on this board, where a person had a specific OK from MoM to engage in this type of employment.

My recommendation would be to contact MoM and obtain a ruling on your specific situation. In my view, it ought to be allowable if your current employer is willing to state that it is OK, but obviously, it is the bureaucrats at MoM that matter, not me.

Yes, you must pay tax on money you have earned while in Singapore. You will file a sole proprietorship return with your regular return for the funds you earn remotely.

And because you must file, the chances are quite good that MoM will be aware of additional employment, which is why I recommend getting a ruling from them. If you don't like the first ruling, then appeal. Like everything else, there are front line officers and senior officers.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:33 pm

I believe the OP feels that nobody will know about the additional remote job, which in a certain degree, true.

Is there a ruling EP holders cannot work "remotely" for another company in another country?

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:37 pm

tt1973 wrote:
Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:33 pm
I believe the OP feels that nobody will know about the additional remote job, which in a certain degree, true.

Is there a ruling EP holders cannot work "remotely" for another company in another country?
As I clearly stated in my response, in my 16 years on this board, I have never seen a direct ruling from MoM, or, a post from an individual, where MoM has clearly stated that working for another remote company while on EP is OK. This is why I recommended that the OP contact MoM and get a ruling. What I think or say makes no difference; what MoM says or thinks matters a lot.

Second, if a person earns money while resident in Singapore, it is taxable in Singapore. Now obviously, if a person chooses not to report that income it is going to be very hard for IRAS to track down this omission. But, I do not make such a recommendation because such behavior is not legal.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:03 am

Well said, better clarify with MOM about this matter.

My post above is just curious about if there is any ruling about this and not abating any illegal behavior.

alex0304

Post by alex0304 » Tue, 22 Sep 2020 9:28 pm

Hi, I am in a similar situation. Have anyone received any response from MOM on this matter?

StuntCicak

Post by StuntCicak » Sat, 10 Oct 2020 7:31 am

Curious to know as well!

It becomes especially tricky when it's not an employment but revenue generated online (blog for example displaying ads or selling digital products).

Based on Myasis Dragon's input, I'm inclined to think MOM will consider any overseas income generating activity initiated in Singapore to be like an employment or job of sorts, or freelance. Hence likely see it as a violation of EP rules that say an EP holder can only work for one company at a time and can't freelance. I wish they were stating clearly that this applies even if the source of the income is overseas. I called to ask, was told I'd be called back by frontline agent but have yet to hear back from them on this.