Singapore Expats

HELP

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
SGexpat8888

HELP

Post by SGexpat8888 » Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:03 pm

Hi Fellow Forumers!

I'm seeking advice on how to claim back my initial deposit to the owner of HDB.

During Circuit Breaker i spoke with the owner of HDB regarding my interest on her room for rent.

I did transferred my deposit right away on her account.

Due to my personal reason and unpleassant experience with the owner's main tenant of the flat i decided to discontinue on my interest.

I informed the Singapore PR lady the owner of the flat to my decision on 27th May 2020 to discontinue my interest to transfer on her flat on the 10th of June 2020. (Which i gave her 15 days notice.)

Now the PR lady don't have any intention to return my initial deposit. Even the fact that i didn't sign any Tenancy Aggrement. No HDB stamp, I never sign anything, i never see the flat or the room and never meet these people in person.

I spoke with HDB, and HDB refer me to CASE then CASE refer me to SCT.

I already filed a complaint to SCT but the SCT asked me some question related to tenancy agreement which i don't have it at all. Cos i never sign any tenancy aggreement.

Can anyone give me advice on what is the best thing to do? Thank you.

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: HELP

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:42 pm

Bite the bullet and make sure you have learned a very important lesson. In Singapore, without paper (or at least a text/email trail) you are wasting your time. If you go in on a cash only basis, in order to maybe do the same to the main tenant, you will be the one who gets done by. Almost 100% of the time. Do a search of our archives to see the number of instances that make it to this forum. We are only the tip of the iceberg, as it were. This link was below the text message box I'm typing in with out even doing a search - viewtopic.php?t=107990
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:02 pm

SGexpat8888 wrote:
Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:03 pm
Hi Fellow Forumers!

During Circuit Breaker i spoke with the owner of HDB regarding my interest on her room for rent.

Due to my personal reason and unpleassant experience with the owner's main tenant of the flat i decided to discontinue on my interest.

I informed the Singapore PR lady the owner of the flat to my decision on 27th May 2020 to discontinue my interest to transfer on her flat on the 10th of June 2020. (Which i gave her 15 days notice.)

Now the PR lady don't have any intention to return my initial deposit. Even the fact that i didn't sign any Tenancy Aggrement. No HDB stamp, I never sign anything, i never see the flat or the room and never meet these people in person.

I already filed a complaint to SCT but the SCT asked me some question related to tenancy agreement which i don't have it at all. Cos i never sign any tenancy aggreement.

Without any written agreement, your chance is going to be very less to get back the deposit. Because if there was a written agreement, there will be clause that you must give N months notice and you cant also break the agreement for M months, failing which you may lose deposit.

Anyway try and update us on what happens.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 18 Jun 2020 3:34 pm

SGexpat8888 wrote:
Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:03 pm
Hi Fellow Forumers!

So explain to the court that you didn't enter into any agreement and the money you transferred was a good faith deposit just to show your interest and credibility. Even if you had a written and signed letter of intent this is not binding anyhow normally so the LL has no right to keep this money. I am not sure why you were asked about TA if you didn't rent anything. Probably you didn't make your case clear.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Jun 2020 6:11 pm

In addition threaten to file a police report for fraud. This type of "take deposit and run" scam is well known by the SPF. IF she doesn't respond then file report lah.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

saber13

Post by saber13 » Fri, 19 Jun 2020 10:23 am

If the lady does not live on the premises and is a Singapore PR she is breaking HDB rules as PRs are not allowed to rent HDB flats. If she stays on in the same flat then it has to be a min 3 room flat. A threat of complaint to HDB should give you some leverage.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:11 am

saber13 wrote:
Fri, 19 Jun 2020 10:23 am
If the lady does not live on the premises and is a Singapore PR she is breaking HDB rules as PRs are not allowed to rent HDB flats. If she stays on in the same flat then it has to be a min 3 room flat. A threat of complaint to HDB should give you some leverage.
OP says rent out a ROOM not the flat.

saber13

Post by saber13 » Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:20 am

yup.. he also says this..

"Due to my personal reason and unpleassant experience with the owner's main tenant of the flat i decided to discontinue on my interest"

so there is another tenant..

anyway its a point of reference to use or not to use

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:36 am

saber13 wrote:
Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:20 am
yup.. he also says this..

"Due to my personal reason and unpleassant experience with the owner's main tenant of the flat i decided to discontinue on my interest"

so there is another tenant..

anyway its a point of reference to use or not to use
Why cant there be another tenant? The owner could have rented out 2 bedrooms?