Singapore Expats

Landlord wants to collect my visitors NRIC

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Tourtles

Landlord wants to collect my visitors NRIC

Post by Tourtles » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 12:42 am

My room lease agreement states that I can have my girlfriend over on the weekends but of course given the recent circuit breaker, I have not had her over. Now that phase 2 will be rolling out this weekend, I legally would be allowed to have her over. That said, he has just told me that he would need her nric and personal details to adhere to SafeEntry guidelines.

My understanding that we do not need to oblige his request due to PDPA guidelines. I have not yet discussed this with him as I want to be sure I have my facts straight. I have looked online to see if there’s any references I can provide him specific to this scenario but have not had any luck. Has any one encountered this before or able to provide any advice on how to proceed?

Additional context: I have rented the master bedroom and have my own toilet so it would not be a nuisance to the other two house mates. I pay a fixed fee for utilities in addition to the clause allowing her to visit on the weekends. This is a HDB
Last edited by Tourtles on Tue, 16 Jun 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Search By

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Landlord wants to collect my visitors NRIC

Post by abbby » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 8:24 am

I don't think a home needs a safe entry to start with, he's probably just making up some excuses to check her nric.

Is your girlfriend going to be staying over with you? If so, then perhaps checking to ensure the resident is legal is reasonable (ensuring party is not an overstayer).

Otherwise, I don't see why he needs to check her nric if she's only going to be visiting you for a day.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 9:19 am

Our condo has a safe entry code on the gate. Visitors are expected to check in and out doing this. What's your landlord or you going to do if there's a positive case in the area? Claim ignorance? Send him a copy of her IC and the time in and time out. It's perfectly reasonable what he is asking.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Tourtles

Post by Tourtles » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 9:58 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 16 Jun 2020 8:24 am
I don't think a home needs a safe entry to start with, he's probably just making up some excuses to check her nric.

Is your girlfriend going to be staying over with you? If so, then perhaps checking to ensure the resident is legal is reasonable (ensuring party is not an overstayer).

Otherwise, I don't see why he needs to check her nric if she's only going to be visiting you for a day.
The agreement is that she is allowed to stay overnight. I did read online that condos have the safe entry but that data is stored on a government server. Whereas there would no assurance that her information would be safe if he was given a copy

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:11 am

You could just share her barecode with your LL (not the full IC) - that way if there is an issue he can share it with the gahmen later. Also if your condo has a safe entry code tell him you will use that (and share her check in / check out screen shot with him). Legally he can't really stop her but the point is to find a compromise that gives him some assurance. I don't think HDB's have safe entry codes but they might?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Sun, 12 Jul 2020 2:11 pm

I think it depends on the condo. Some management are more particular about these kinds of things than others. I know some condos require that anyone staying for any length of time are required to be listed for "safety purposes" - i think in the case of a fire they're supposed to know how many people are in the block.