Singapore Expats

Singapore REP renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
karosa

Singapore REP renewal

Post by karosa » Sat, 13 Jun 2020 9:41 pm

Hi, I would like to ask for any advice regarding my uncle’s situation.

My uncle and his family has been staying in Singapore since early 1990s, and are Singapore PRs. My uncle stopped working in the year 2000 and has been a homemaker (last 5 years mostly overseas, supporting his son who is doing overseas study), while his wife (my aunt) has been working and living in Singapore , and chose to take early retirement in 2019. Now, the time has come for them to renew their re-entry permits. My aunt got her re-entry permit application declined and the Singapore authorities (ICA) did not disclose any reasons. It should be noted that both of them have university degrees, have been dutiful members of the community and have been paying Singapore tax all these years (cumulatively quite a substantial amount of money).

In the past years, they have had their re-entry permits renewed as both / either one was employed, but now that both have recently retired, it appears that there is difficulty regarding their re-entry permit renewal (though no official reasons were given). Frankly speaking, we are baffled and not sure of the reasons for the decline of the re-entry permit renewal.

Is this a common occurrence (i.e. not renewing the re-entry permits of Singapore PRs who have spent their productive years working and contributing to Singapore)? Any thoughts regarding this situation, and any advice regarding what can be done (e.g. regarding an appeal/ re-application etc) would be appreciated.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Singapore REP renewal

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:02 pm

karosa wrote:Hi, I would like to ask for any advice regarding my uncle’s situation.

My uncle and his family has been staying in Singapore since early 1990s, and are Singapore PRs. My uncle stopped working in the year 2000 and has been a homemaker (last 5 years mostly overseas, supporting his son who is doing overseas study), while his wife (my aunt) has been working and living in Singapore , and chose to take early retirement in 2019. Now, the time has come for them to renew their re-entry permits. My aunt got her re-entry permit application declined and the Singapore authorities (ICA) did not disclose any reasons. It should be noted that both of them have university degrees, have been dutiful members of the community and have been paying Singapore tax all these years (cumulatively quite a substantial amount of money).

In the past years, they have had their re-entry permits renewed as both / either one was employed, but now that both have recently retired, it appears that there is difficulty regarding their re-entry permit renewal (though no official reasons were given). Frankly speaking, we are baffled and not sure of the reasons for the decline of the re-entry permit renewal.

Is this a common occurrence (i.e. not renewing the re-entry permits of Singapore PRs who have spent their productive years working and contributing to Singapore)? Any thoughts regarding this situation, and any advice regarding what can be done (e.g. regarding an appeal/ re-application etc) would be appreciated.
I have posted an article relating to this before. If you’ve searched for REP renewal by retired PR you would probably find it. Anyway, I will paste the link here:

https://mothership.sg/2020/02/parliamen ... lications/

You specifically mentioned about your aunt’s rejection. How about your uncle? Did they apply together and he got rejected too? Is your aunt a dependent PR of your uncle? If yes, could be your uncle’s prolonged absence from Singapore that had his renewal rejected and consequently your aunt got rejected too.

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Singapore REP renewal

Post by jamie9vardy » Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:06 pm

I went back to read your post again. Your uncle stopped working in 2000. 20 years in retirement is not considered as ‘recently’ retired.

karosa

Post by karosa » Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:22 am

Thanks, yes I have seen that link before. I meant to say that my aunt recently retired, but not for my uncle who retired a while ago.

Just to make it clearer, my aunt only applied for herself (not together with my uncle). She has been living in and working in Singapore (she is not a dependent PR of my uncle) and recently retired in 2019, yet her REP was rejected with no official reasons given, which we were surprised about

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:42 am

May be due to " having no family roots here"

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Singapore REP renewal

Post by jamie9vardy » Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:57 pm

karosa wrote:Thanks, yes I have seen that link before. I meant to say that my aunt recently retired, but not for my uncle who retired a while ago.

Just to make it clearer, my aunt only applied for herself (not together with my uncle). She has been living in and working in Singapore (she is not a dependent PR of my uncle) and recently retired in 2019, yet her REP was rejected with no official reasons given, which we were surprised about
I have to agree with therat, since your uncle is no longer in Singapore, more or less. I’m assuming he has lost his PR for some time now. If that’s the case, did he withdraw his CPF money?

Also, what is the residency status of their son? Has he ever been a PR or is he still a PR? If yes, has he completed his NS obligation and obtained exit permit before leaving for overseas studies?

clavie

Post by clavie » Fri, 14 Apr 2023 4:53 pm

:-| it's too bad not to know more about that specific case. No reply/update was provided by OP regarding his auntie.