Singapore Expats

Working on EP, can you live and work in your home country?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
MuiMuiMui

Working on EP, can you live and work in your home country?

Post by MuiMuiMui » Fri, 12 Jun 2020 7:22 pm

Hi All,

Here’s my situation. I’m from the Netherlands and currently working and living in Singapore on an EP.
I would like to move back to Holland while remaining employed by my current employer in Singapore. So working complete remote.

Couple of questions:
- Is it allowed to be employed by a Singapore company and not living in Singapore?
- How does it work with taxes?
- Would you recommend getting professional advice?

Many thanks!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Working on EP, can you live and work in your home country?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 13 Jun 2020 12:41 am

MuiMuiMui wrote:
Fri, 12 Jun 2020 7:22 pm
Hi All,

Here’s my situation. I’m from the Netherlands and currently working and living in Singapore on an EP.
I would like to move back to Holland while remaining employed by my current employer in Singapore. So working complete remote.

Couple of questions:
- Is it allowed to be employed by a Singapore company and not living in Singapore?
- How does it work with taxes?
- Would you recommend getting professional advice?

Many thanks!
You can continue to work for your Singapore employer when you are back living in the Netherlands.

You will no longer need or be eligible for an EP.

You will be tax resident in the Netherlands and will pay your personal income taxes there as an independent contractor to a foreign firm.

You will not be subject to any taxation in Singapore and your Singapore company will pay you as a contractor. There are exceptions to this rule, such as if you are a company director or hold a position in senior management, CFO, for example. In this case, you may be treated as working for the company in Singapore and money paid to you will be subject to withholding tax before it is sent to you. This is a fairly rare situation.

You don't need professional advice.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:13 am

You could also retain your EP and live in Holland and hide your income in Singapore from the Dutch tax office but at some point that will come unstuck. It would be ok for example if it was finishing off a short term contract (6 or 9 months) but not for a perpetual contract.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:17 am

Also dependent on your company's policy. Mine doesn't allow it due to tax considerations. A couple of Aussies supposedly in Sg were working from Australia. Ruined it for all. Now we can't even do the odd week without special approval.