Singapore Expats Forum
 

Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
slys317
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 16 May 2012 3:09 pm

Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by slys317 » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:35 am

Hi there, 30yo/chinese/male currently waiting for the consular services at the malaysian embassy to reopen to renunciate citizenship. As far as i know, there's no other way out of this.

I've explored the option of heading back to JB to do it but that's only feasible if one has dual citizenship because you need a passport to get back into SG.

Just wondering how many of you out there are in the same boat?

Take care and stay safe
Sam

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by jamie9vardy » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:47 am

slys317 wrote:Hi there, 30yo/chinese/male currently waiting for the consular services at the malaysian embassy to reopen to renunciate citizenship. As far as i know, there's no other way out of this.

I've explored the option of heading back to JB to do it but that's only feasible if one has dual citizenship because you need a passport to get back into SG.

Just wondering how many of you out there are in the same boat?

Take care and stay safe
Sam
ICA should be well aware of the situation as border control also comes under its purview.

Have you called or written in to ask ICA and if an extension to complete the formality is needed, can they grant you?

slys317
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 16 May 2012 3:09 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by slys317 » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:56 am

Yeap~ they are well aware. My oath taking date is scheduled for late july so there's plenty of time before needing an extension. This is more of me trying to get the renunciation done asap and bringing forward the oath taking date.

just wondering how many others, like myself are waiting for the consular to reopen and if anyone heard any news on its reopening.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7563
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:51 am

Quite an interesting issue. I imagine consulates/HC/embassies will open as soon as they reasonably can.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

subconwretch
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed, 27 May 2020 8:17 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by subconwretch » Sun, 14 Jun 2020 2:24 am

It is usually not possible to renounce citizenship of a country while physically still in the same country, unless you have already acquired and registered as a citizen of another country.
So doing that in JB wont quite work in your case, as both countries don't grant or renounce citizenship unless they see the acquisition or renunciation of the other.

The registration deadlines have already been blanket-extended in light of this situation, and ICA has been agreeable to extend the deadlines for far beyond the usual 2 months - so your best option is to wait until the Malaysian High Commission resumes accepting renunciation applications.

Your age (>21) indicates that you cant hold dual citizenship, but i don't think being chinese/male is of any significance in this case :D

feanor
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by feanor » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 2:45 pm

You can't renounce in JB anyway. You would have to surrender your passport and Malaysia IC when you renounce, so how would you get back into Singapore? Renunciation would have to be done at the High Commission when it reopens.

slys317
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 16 May 2012 3:09 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by slys317 » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 3:06 pm

feanor wrote:
Tue, 16 Jun 2020 2:45 pm
You can't renounce in JB anyway. You would have to surrender your passport and Malaysia IC when you renounce, so how would you get back into Singapore? Renunciation would have to be done at the High Commission when it reopens.
yeap, this we have established already. wait it out.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7563
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Jun 2020 5:45 pm

I think MY embassy will be open next week based on Phase 2.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

macaronjunkie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 5:49 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by macaronjunkie » Thu, 18 Jun 2020 3:35 pm

You can email in to get an appointment slot now, they've reopened. I'm in the same boat

Simplelife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:30 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by Simplelife » Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:42 pm

Hi macaronjunkie,

Let me check how you made the appointment with ICA for documents verification after you submitted your SC application online? As I noticed your post mentioned that you didn’t make an appointment yet in other conversation in 12 Mar 2020.

I also submitted my application online and haven’t made an appointment for documents verification yet.

Appreciate your advice in advance.

Simplelife

macaronjunkie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 5:49 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by macaronjunkie » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 12:19 am

Hi! Have replied you in the other thread. No need for document verification appointment during SC application.
The appointment I mentioned here is for citizenship registration. It's at stage 2-3 already.
Simplelife wrote:
Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:42 pm
Hi macaronjunkie,

Let me check how you made the appointment with ICA for documents verification after you submitted your SC application online? As I noticed your post mentioned that you didn’t make an appointment yet in other conversation in 12 Mar 2020.

I also submitted my application online and haven’t made an appointment for documents verification yet.

Appreciate your advice in advance.

Simplelife

Simplelife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 11:30 pm

Re: Stuck at last stage of sg citizenship conversion

Post by Simplelife » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 12:33 am

Thank you so much for your advice, macaronjunkie.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests