Singapore Expats Forum
 

SC approval chances 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 4:25 pm

meeeeeeel wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 3:06 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 2:53 pm
Really. As long as it meets the Minimum requirements which is somewhere around 4.5K/pa basic we think. Unless you happen to be from Malaysia with a decent degree.
huh? 4.5k is alot... ok but the salary amt wont matter as much for rep renewal right?
example if someone has got his PR via working as a engineer and earned 5K at that time and now is earning 2K as an admin, it MAY matter during REP renewal as the salary has reduced significantly.

subconwretch
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed, 27 May 2020 8:17 pm

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by subconwretch » Wed, 01 Jul 2020 10:34 pm

meeeeeeel wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 3:06 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 01 Jul 2020 2:53 pm
Really. As long as it meets the Minimum requirements which is somewhere around 4.5K/pa basic we think. Unless you happen to be from Malaysia with a decent degree.
huh? 4.5k is alot... ok but the salary amt wont matter as much for rep renewal right?
If you've gone to school here in your younger(<23) days, you might get by with significantly below 4.5k.
(Masters, PhDs and private diplomas don't count. I figured a good gauge is to ask if you can sing the anthem and recite the pledge).
Concur with SMS if youre Chinese Malaysian - all you might need is to be and stay alive.

Yes, the absolute amount doesn't seem to matter as much as staying employed for REP renewals.
However the present pandemic + election + economy situation likely overrides all past trends, so your guess is as good as mine, but everything is certainly going to be tighter.

avengers8888
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 10:12 am

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by avengers8888 » Wed, 08 Jul 2020 10:59 am

I applied SC thru e-application in early May 2020 (during CB period)

country/race : Indo chinese
gender : male
age : 35
marital : single
bachelor degree from univ in ID
working as IT
got my PR since 2008 (june 2008 application submission, approval in nov 2008)
income : ± 105k p.a inc. bonuses
own private property

Just wondering what will be the chance of getting approval, looking that i have been keeping my status as PR for more than 10 years and only decided to apply SC esp. during this pandemic ?
And usually how long does it take from e-application submission to receiving acceptance/rejection letter as stated on ICA it takes 6-12 mths of processing or can be longer ?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 08 Jul 2020 11:05 am

avengers8888 wrote:
Wed, 08 Jul 2020 10:59 am
I applied SC thru e-application in early May 2020 (during CB period)

country/race : Indo chinese
gender : male
age : 35
marital : single
bachelor degree from univ in ID
working as IT
got my PR since 2008 (june 2008 application submission, approval in nov 2008)
income : ± 105k p.a inc. bonuses
own private property

Just wondering what will be the chance of getting approval, looking that i have been keeping my status as PR for more than 10 years and only decided to apply SC esp. during this pandemic ?
And usually how long does it take from e-application submission to receiving acceptance/rejection letter as stated on ICA it takes 6-12 mths of processing or can be longer ?
It may take 8-18 months for the result.

cryptic_ss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:02 pm

Thoughts?

Post by cryptic_ss » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:27 pm

Folks- hope to have some experienced, non-judgemental views

Self: Indian, in SG since 2004, PR since 2006, white collar job salaries between 100 & 500k till 2014, running a local Pte Ltd biz since then (100% ownership), with salary to self varying between nothing and 4K PM. Business pays taxes (Duties) ~150-250k each year. Was away in Tokyo 2007-2010, but ended up moving back before the first REP renewal, and it had been a piece of cake.

Wife: Indian, We got married in 2010, in SG since 2005 (except for 2006-08), PR since 2013 (applied independently, not as a dependent), banking, salary of ~500k + bonus.

Both own an apartment each.

2 young boys, on LTVP, US citizens (potential red flag- ‘passport upgrading family ’ even though they’re American only because it had been an uber complicated pregnancy).

Couple of issues that I would appreciate advice on:
1) PR application for kids- anecdotal experience makes it seem tough for boys of our race, possibly something to do with the Racial mix of the NS cohort down the line
2) SC application- better to wait for kids’ to become PR and then apply, or fair to apply now, without the kids on the application? The 2 of us are psychologically ready to ’become proper local’ now. To be fair, we’re not very involved in community activities save for volunteering with a couple of private charitable efforts.

Side Note: saw a comment about Low salary potential impacting REP renewals, I was paying myself 2.5k pm back in 2016 when I renewed Online without any issue..(after having had significantly higher salaries earlier on)..have also renewed my folks LTVP at similar salary levels.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Thoughts?

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 2:53 pm

cryptic_ss wrote:
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:27 pm
Folks- hope to have some experienced, non-judgemental views

Self: Indian, in SG since 2004, PR since 2006, white collar job salaries between 100 & 500k till 2014, running a local Pte Ltd biz since then (100% ownership), with salary to self varying between nothing and 4K PM. Business pays taxes (Duties) ~150-250k each year. Was away in Tokyo 2007-2010, but ended up moving back before the first REP renewal, and it had been a piece of cake.

Wife: Indian, We got married in 2010, in SG since 2005 (except for 2006-08), PR since 2013 (applied independently, not as a dependent), banking, salary of ~500k + bonus.

Both own an apartment each.

2 young boys, on LTVP, US citizens (potential red flag- ‘passport upgrading family ’ even though they’re American only because it had been an uber complicated pregnancy).

Couple of issues that I would appreciate advice on:
1) PR application for kids- anecdotal experience makes it seem tough for boys of our race, possibly something to do with the Racial mix of the NS cohort down the line
2) SC application- better to wait for kids’ to become PR and then apply, or fair to apply now, without the kids on the application? The 2 of us are psychologically ready to ’become proper local’ now. To be fair, we’re not very involved in community activities save for volunteering with a couple of private charitable efforts.

Side Note: saw a comment about Low salary potential impacting REP renewals, I was paying myself 2.5k pm back in 2016 when I renewed Online without any issue..(after having had significantly higher salaries earlier on)..have also renewed my folks LTVP at similar salary levels.
If you are really serious, make your kids as PR and then apply for your SC. Else, chance is going to be very less based on whatever you have said.

Breaks in staying out of SG, Kids not PR, slightly low salary and ethnicity is going to make things tough for your SC

cryptic_ss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:02 pm

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by cryptic_ss » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks- fair points.

The breaks were, in one-direction, intra company postings, but fair enough- if that’s how things get looked at, we deal with that.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 3:26 pm

cryptic_ss wrote:
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 3:00 pm
Thanks- fair points.

The breaks were, in one-direction, intra company postings, but fair enough- if that’s how things get looked at, we deal with that.
If they were intra company postings for short term and salary/CPF paid in SG, then it MAY be considered OK. Else, it wont be considered positively.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 502
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Thoughts?

Post by bro75 » Sun, 09 Aug 2020 7:53 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 2:53 pm
cryptic_ss wrote:
Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:27 pm
Folks- hope to have some experienced, non-judgemental views

Self: Indian, in SG since 2004, PR since 2006, white collar job salaries between 100 & 500k till 2014, running a local Pte Ltd biz since then (100% ownership), with salary to self varying between nothing and 4K PM. Business pays taxes (Duties) ~150-250k each year. Was away in Tokyo 2007-2010, but ended up moving back before the first REP renewal, and it had been a piece of cake.

Wife: Indian, We got married in 2010, in SG since 2005 (except for 2006-08), PR since 2013 (applied independently, not as a dependent), banking, salary of ~500k + bonus.

Both own an apartment each.

2 young boys, on LTVP, US citizens (potential red flag- ‘passport upgrading family ’ even though they’re American only because it had been an uber complicated pregnancy).

Couple of issues that I would appreciate advice on:
1) PR application for kids- anecdotal experience makes it seem tough for boys of our race, possibly something to do with the Racial mix of the NS cohort down the line
2) SC application- better to wait for kids’ to become PR and then apply, or fair to apply now, without the kids on the application? The 2 of us are psychologically ready to ’become proper local’ now. To be fair, we’re not very involved in community activities save for volunteering with a couple of private charitable efforts.

Side Note: saw a comment about Low salary potential impacting REP renewals, I was paying myself 2.5k pm back in 2016 when I renewed Online without any issue..(after having had significantly higher salaries earlier on)..have also renewed my folks LTVP at similar salary levels.
If you are really serious, make your kids as PR and then apply for your SC. Else, chance is going to be very less based on whatever you have said.

Breaks in staying out of SG, Kids not PR, slightly low salary and ethnicity is going to make things tough for your SC
@cryptic You can apply for SC for your family directly even if your children are on LTVP.

cryptic_ss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:02 pm

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by cryptic_ss » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:21 am

@bro75 Thanks!

Blur of me, but never thought of that/along those lines!
Of course PR>2 years are eligible to apply alongwith unmarried kids <21. Now to decide between applying for PR for them first (possibly getting an indication on how we are viewed), or, doing the SC application as a family straight away.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7425
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:49 am

Go for SC.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

feanor
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:14 pm

Re: SC approval chances 2020

Post by feanor » Tue, 11 Aug 2020 1:32 pm

cryptic_ss wrote:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:21 am
@bro75 Thanks!

Blur of me, but never thought of that/along those lines!
Of course PR>2 years are eligible to apply alongwith unmarried kids <21. Now to decide between applying for PR for them first (possibly getting an indication on how we are viewed), or, doing the SC application as a family straight away.
Should be faster and easier to apply SC directly as a family.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests