Singapore Expats Forum
 

Reinstatement of PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
dbkd29
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 31 May 2020 1:41 pm

Reinstatement of PR

Post by dbkd29 » Sun, 31 May 2020 1:48 pm

Dear all,

I was a Singapore PR till 2016. I had gone to a local public uni. However since I was studying overseas while the REP came for renewal, it was temporarily extended for 6 months from the date of my graduation. I did not land up in a job in Singapore during this time, and had to take up employment overseas.

However, I’ve now got a job in Singapore and planning to relocate. What are the chances that my PR will be re-instated ?

I’m an Indian national (Tamil).

Thanks

User avatar
jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:12 pm

Reinstatement of PR

Post by jamie9vardy » Sun, 31 May 2020 2:07 pm

dbkd29 wrote:Dear all,

I was a Singapore PR till 2016. I had gone to a local public uni. However since I was studying overseas while the REP came for renewal, it was temporarily extended for 6 months from the date of my graduation. I did not land up in a job in Singapore during this time, and had to take up employment overseas.

However, I’ve now got a job in Singapore and planning to relocate. What are the chances that my PR will be re-instated ?

I’m an Indian national (Tamil).

Thanks
So you studied at a local uni, worked here, got your PR via PTS scheme then went overseas to further your studies?

Assuming you worked here before, did you withdraw your CPF when you lost your PR?

I’m afraid you will have to work here and earn the years before you can apply, and may be treated as equal to other new applicants.

The fact that you have history of going overseas for a prolonged period will leave ICA an impression that you are capable of leaving SG in a heart beat whenever an overseas opportunity comes calling again. (Whatever you think and say about you’ll never ever leave SG again is not important)

The current climate which will last for some time isn’t going to help you and other PR hopefuls in general.

Good luck, you will definitely need it!
Last edited by jamie9vardy on Sun, 31 May 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37122
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Reinstatement of PR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 May 2020 2:08 pm

Slim to none.

dbkd29
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 31 May 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Reinstatement of PR

Post by dbkd29 » Sun, 31 May 2020 3:57 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Sun, 31 May 2020 2:07 pm
dbkd29 wrote:Dear all,

I was a Singapore PR till 2016. I had gone to a local public uni. However since I was studying overseas while the REP came for renewal, it was temporarily extended for 6 months from the date of my graduation. I did not land up in a job in Singapore then.

However, I’ve now got a job in Singapore and planning to relocate. What are the chances that my PR will be re-instated ?

I’m an Indian national (Tamil).

Thanks
So you studied at a local uni, worked here, got your PR via PTS scheme then went overseas to further your studies?

Assuming you worked here before, did you withdraw your CPF when you lost your PR?

I’m afraid you will have to work here and earn the years before you can apply, and may be treated as equal to other new applicants.

The fact that you have history of going overseas for a prolonged period will leave ICA an impression that you are capable of leaving SG in a heart beat whenever an overseas opportunity comes calling again. (Whatever you think and say about you’ll never ever leave SG again is not important)

The current climate which will last for some time isn’t going to help you and other PR hopefuls in general.

Good luck, you will definitely need it!
I have not withdrawn my CPF. It is still intact. I have a lot of financial assets as well in the form of stocks in Singapore.

The reason why I couldnt come back was due to being not able to find a suitable job within the stipulated time period ICA had offered. Puting a noose around non-PRs didnt help me that much.

In any case, will getting an EP be a challenge ? Maybe i can re-apply for a PR after 2 years
Last edited by dbkd29 on Sun, 31 May 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am

Re: Reinstatement of PR

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 31 May 2020 6:31 pm

dbkd29 wrote:
Sun, 31 May 2020 3:57 pm
jamie9vardy wrote:
Sun, 31 May 2020 2:07 pm
dbkd29 wrote:Dear all,

I was a Singapore PR till 2016. I had gone to a local public uni. However since I was studying overseas while the REP came for renewal, it was temporarily extended for 6 months from the date of my graduation. I did not land up in a job in Singapore during this time, and had to take up employment overseas.

However, I’ve now got a job in Singapore and planning to relocate. What are the chances that my PR will be re-instated ?

I’m an Indian national (Tamil).

Thanks
So you studied at a local uni, worked here, got your PR via PTS scheme then went overseas to further your studies?

Assuming you worked here before, did you withdraw your CPF when you lost your PR?

I’m afraid you will have to work here and earn the years before you can apply, and may be treated as equal to other new applicants.

The fact that you have history of going overseas for a prolonged period will leave ICA an impression that you are capable of leaving SG in a heart beat whenever an overseas opportunity comes calling again. (Whatever you think and say about you’ll never ever leave SG again is not important)

The current climate which will last for some time isn’t going to help you and other PR hopefuls in general.

Good luck, you will definitely need it!
I have not withdrawn my CPF. It is still intact. I have a lot of financial assets as well in the form of stocks in Singapore.

The reason why I couldnt come back was due to being not able to find a suitable job within the stipulated time period ICA had offered. Puting a noose around non-PRs didnt help me that much.

In any case, will getting an EP be a challenge ? Maybe i can re-apply for a PR after 2 years
How long are you away from SG?
When did you lose your PR? If it is more than 2-3 years,then you need to start everything from EP again likely

Chance is going to be very slim. Shares, Bank balance, etc do not matter for your REP renewal.
They see 2 things
1. Are you gainfully employed in SG
2. Permanently reside in SG and make contributions.

Post Reply

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest