Singapore Expats

Data logged by govt or individual companies?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Haruki
Regular
Regular

Data logged by govt or individual companies?

Post by Haruki » Fri, 29 May 2020 7:06 pm

Just as a bit of a lark, I decided to see how long I'd be able to go without having to use the Safe Entry app or get my ID scanned. So far so good... I'm not sure why I get anxious about having my details logged, but I started wondering--in a perfect world where both systems are equally efficient, would people here actually prefer to have their data consolidated and stored by the government, or by individual companies at their stores at point of entry?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Data logged by govt or individual companies?

Post by abbby » Sat, 30 May 2020 3:24 pm

I dislike for the fact you lose your privacy, everywhere you go you need to check in and out of the safe entry, and it's also very troublesome and time consuming. I hope things get better soon and we could hopefully ease off this safe entry requirement. This is discourages one from going out, and only when necessary.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Sat, 30 May 2020 8:42 pm

abbby wrote:
Sat, 30 May 2020 3:24 pm
This is discourages one from going out, and only when necessary.
I suspect that is intentional. Same with wearing masks. Discourages people from going out. Less people out, less chance of Covid spreading.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sun, 31 May 2020 1:09 pm

looks who is inside IDA , etc , is Pm lee son. No offence, I feel just wanna push his son works etc whatever IDA , MDA stuffs come to this app.

Come to privacy act , as long you online , using social media, or download any app you already agreed the terms and conditions.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Tue, 09 Jun 2020 10:34 pm

bgd wrote:
Sat, 30 May 2020 8:42 pm
I suspect that is intentional.
If so, it's definitely working really well for me! :D

If only this +2 mth circuit breaker would have brought us to the same stage of virus eradication as NZ, but looks like we're stuck locally with the virus and its restrictions for another 2-3 years.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:54 am

Blame it only the people to fight against the system. The Kiwi's all embraced the governments plan and worked together to beat it. Here, everybody keeps trying to game the government and doing things they know they shouldn't. This is going to cause it to last 2 or 3x as along.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:10 pm

One more thing to consider: It is not like using this safe entry and other stuff you actually lose any extra privacy. You just make the data available more efficiently or more easily. For the purpose it serves I think it is acceptable.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 1:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:54 am
Blame it only the people to fight against the system. The Kiwi's all embraced the governments plan and worked together to beat it. Here, everybody keeps trying to game the government and doing things they know they shouldn't. This is going to cause it to last 2 or 3x as along.
:oops:
bro , lol last time SG is united you surely know that back in Good days.

But this round is too bad , this crap what fancy 4G ministers they claim lead by crap PM is going downhill....sadly

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 2:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:10 pm
One more thing to consider: It is not like using this safe entry and other stuff you actually lose any extra privacy. You just make the data available more efficiently or more easily. For the purpose it serves I think it is acceptable.
I just hope the tools are truly useful & not merely a bureaucratic overhead.

Balakrishnan's admirable intent of "bringing contact tracing reaction time down to less than a day", has a whiff of a technocrat's dream.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Jun 2020 6:19 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 2:13 pm
x9200 wrote:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:10 pm
I just hope the tools are truly useful & not merely a bureaucratic overhead.

Balakrishnan's admirable intent of "bringing contact tracing reaction time down to less than a day", has a whiff of a technocrat's dream.
I think it is useful, but I also expect a social-engineering or psychological component in this whole exercise.