Singapore Expats

PR approval chance in 2020

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mlee21

Re: PR approval chance in 2020

Post by mlee21 » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 12:55 am

I applied as main applicant back in December 2019 with my wife and son (both DP) and still waiting for decision. I’ve seen others on this forum apply after myself and since received responses, both favorable and unfavorable.

No idea which way this will go.....if I get it, great. If not, my status in Singapore is no different to what it currently is. :)

Fingers crossed for positive news still.

chris.snave

Post by chris.snave » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:08 pm

Hi guys! I've been reading multiple PR threads back to back to evaluate my chances based on approval patterns but I believe my case is a bit atypical so I need some help. I grew up and spent all my teen years in Singapore so I'm pretty well assimilated, including being fluent in Singlish. My long term goal has always been to work and live in Singapore.

However, after graduating from a local university I went to China to pursue another bachelor (finance -> engineering) and eventually masters in UK. I've read that this constitutes a reset period in some posts. Upon returning to my home country, I started applying for Singapore jobs. I got zero offers since no company would want to relocate someone with zero experience. After getting some experience, I finally managed to get a Singaporean company willing to sponsor my EP. In 6 months or so I plan to submit the following profile:

Race: Chinese
Nationality: Indonesian
Marital Status: Single
Education: 4 years Singapore sec school, 4 years Singapore uni (first degree), China-UK uni (second degree), 1 year Masters in Southampton, UK
Job: Software Engineer
Length of stay in Singapore: 9 years
Income Tax Assessment : 6 months
Total Job Experience: 6 Years
Salary: 84k
Pass: EP
Note: My sister was offered a PR right after her sec school graduation in 2009 which she accepted. She's been living in Singapore since then.

What are my chances? Note that I'm applying in 6 months because even if I get rejected I will be applying again a year later in case my application was rejected due to the COVID situation.
Last edited by chris.snave on Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:39 pm

chris.snave wrote:
Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:08 pm
Hi guys! I've been reading multiple PR threads back to back to evaluate my chances based on approval patterns but I believe my case is a bit atypical so I need some help. I grew up and spent all my teen years in Singapore so I'm pretty well assimilated, including being fluent in Singlish. My long term goal has always been to work and live in Singapore.

However, after graduating from a local university I went to China to pursue another bachelor and eventually masters in UK. I've read that this constitutes a reset period in some posts. Upon returning to my home country, I started applying for Singapore jobs. I got zero offers since no company would want to relocate someone with zero experience. After getting some experience, I finally managed to get a Singaporean company willing to sponsor my EP. In 6 months or so I plan to submit the following profile:

Education: 4 years Singapore sec school, 4 years Singapore uni (first degree), China-UK uni (second degree), 1 year Masters in Southampton, UK
Note: My sister was offered a PR right after her sec school graduation in 2009 which she accepted. She's been living in Singapore since then.

What are my chances? Note that I'm applying in 6 months because even if I get rejected I will applying again a year later in case my application was rejected due to the COVID situation.
You mention your sister was offered a PR right after her sec school?
How about you? Have you been offered?

chris.snave

Post by chris.snave » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:45 pm

No I wasn't. She was offered because she had like a dozen certificates and awards including top in her school. Meanwhile my grades were just so-so and I didn't participate much in communities or CCA. My art was featured in Straits Times once but I don't think it matters lol. I was offered a teaching role (IIRC) but I refused since I was interested in pursuing higher education. Also I wasn't interested in poly or JC and skipped right to uni (with 1 year of diploma).

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 6:19 pm

therat wrote:
Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:39 pm
chris.snave wrote:
Sun, 18 Oct 2020 3:08 pm

However, after graduating from a local university I went to China to pursue another bachelor and eventually masters in UK. I've read that this constitutes a reset period in some posts. Upon returning to my home country, I started applying for Singapore jobs. I got zero offers since no company would want to relocate someone with zero experience. After getting some experience, I finally managed to get a Singaporean company willing to sponsor my EP. In 6 months or so I plan to submit the following profile:

What are my chances? Note that I'm applying in 6 months because even if I get rejected I will applying again a year later in case my application was rejected due to the COVID situation.
You mention your sister was offered a PR right after her sec school?
How about you? Have you been offered?
Chance is very low as only 6 months out of your 9 years in in SG. ICA will easily know that you may not stay here permanently, same as how you didnt work in SG after graduating.

chris.snave

Post by chris.snave » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks for the response. I actually intend to live in SG permanently (eventually becoming citizen), but not sure how to prove that. I didn't work in SG because I wasn't capable enough, not because I didn't want to (companies rejected left and right). So are the chances still very low even if I apply several years later (no major change other than pay bumps)?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 8:04 pm

chris.snave wrote:
Sun, 18 Oct 2020 6:39 pm
Thanks for the response. I actually intend to live in SG permanently (eventually becoming citizen), but not sure how to prove that. I didn't work in SG because I wasn't capable enough, not because I didn't want to (companies rejected left and right). So are the chances still very low even if I apply several years later (no major change other than pay bumps)?
SG already gave you a chance and you didn't use it fully. So, your history will still remain in memory and will need long time to change like 5 years+ down the road.

Need to show things in action, rather than just in words saying, I will be here permanently and will settle here.

chris.snave

Post by chris.snave » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 8:26 pm

5 years is not a problem since I don't need it soon. Many thanks for the advice!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:36 pm

Chances are extremely slim to nil in my opinion. Government has an extremely long memory and a vindictive nature.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TropicalExpat » Mon, 19 Oct 2020 2:23 pm

chris.snave wrote:
Sun, 18 Oct 2020 8:26 pm
5 years is not a problem since I don't need it soon. Many thanks for the advice!
Marry a SC

Olivia_min

Post by Olivia_min » Tue, 20 Oct 2020 3:20 pm

Hi all,

Chanced on this forum googling info for my husband's PR application.
Submitted an application in mid July 2020. Still pending :(
I'm his sponsor. We had a SG Covid CB wedding in May 2020. :D

Our profiles:

Me: Singaporean
Race: Mixed
Education: Studied in SG until went AU for degree. Worked 5 years and then returned to AU for masters and PhD.
Job: Researcher in SG since 2017
Salary: 87k

He: UK/USA
Race: Caucasian
Education: Bachelors
Job: Programme Manager (IT)
Length of stay in Singapore: 8 years
Income Tax Assessment : 8 years in SG
Total Job Experience: 15 - 20 years.
Pass: PEP

Just wondering if how are our chances are like?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 20 Oct 2020 3:37 pm

Olivia_min wrote:Hi all,

Our profiles:

Education: Studied in SG until went AU for degree. Worked 5 years and then returned to AU for masters and PhD.

Hmm... married for 2 months before sponsoring him. The general view is minimum 2 years of marriage or else it is viewed a marriage of convenience.

However, his length of stay in SG and on PEP may help a little.

Chances may not be great. You will be in for a long wait and a positive outcome is not be guaranteed too. If not successful this time, your next attempt should have a higher chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Olivia_min

Post by Olivia_min » Tue, 20 Oct 2020 3:50 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Tue, 20 Oct 2020 3:37 pm

Our profiles:

Hmm... married for 2 months before sponsoring him. The general view is minimum 2 years of marriage or else it is viewed a marriage of convenience.

Chances may not be great. You will be in for a long wait and a positive outcome is not be guaranteed too. If not successful this time, your next attempt should have a higher chance.

We bought a property together in January 2020 (was mentioned in application).
Not marriage of convenience lols. We were planning to do proper wedding and all, but covid just shambled everything, and we just thought let's put the PR application in for now first.

I guess our next application will definitely have a better chance (longer marriage and maybe an SC baby together in the application :D ).

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Tue, 20 Oct 2020 3:57 pm

Olivia_min wrote:
jamie9vardy wrote:
Tue, 20 Oct 2020 3:37 pm

Our profiles:

We bought a property together in January 2020 (was mentioned in application).
Not marriage of convenience lols. We were planning to do proper wedding and all, but covid just shambled everything, and we just thought let's put the PR application in for now first.

I guess our next application will definitely have a better chance (longer marriage and maybe an SC baby together in the application :D ).
Marriage of convenience - not for you and I to judge. ICA knows best.

Totally concurred with your last paragraph!

ap_sg

Post by ap_sg » Thu, 27 May 2021 11:00 pm

Hello all, like to get your thoughts on my PR approval chances:

Family: married with one kid 9yrs old
Been in Singapore for 8 years. Working in large MNC as chief data scientist. PhD degree. Base salary: 230k. With bonus 300k+. Have been with same company for 14 years. Wife currently not working. But had worked in SG for 5 years in banking (software).

Applied for PR 6 years ago and got rejected. Thinking of applying again. What are my chances for approval? Any advice for application? Thank you!