Singapore Expats

Tourist shops

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Tourist shops

Post by abbby » Wed, 27 May 2020 3:46 pm

Even if retail shops are allowed to open but borders are still closed, I do think tourist shops could be looking into selling other stuff otherwise they may just be having no customers. You know those selling Singapore souvenirs and fridge magnets that says 'I love Singapore'. I've seen quite a few in Lucky Plaza and Chinatown.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Haruki
Regular
Regular

Re: Tourist shops

Post by Haruki » Wed, 27 May 2020 7:25 pm

Perhaps the pandemic will serve as a wake-up call for them to improve on the quality of their wares. I'm sure there will still be demand for tacky 'Singapore is a Fine City' shirts and 'I ♥ Singapore' mugs or whatever, but I think the tourist shops which will do best will be the ones who take this chance to create souvenirs that even the locals will like. The tourist souvenirs found in museums overseas are usually so awesome, and I never understood why we couldn't do the same here, in our museum shops or out...!