Singapore Expats

renting in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: renting in singapore

Post by abbby » Mon, 25 May 2020 5:56 pm

I clicked on your link, it does feel too low a rental to be true...do seek more info from renter why the rent is so low, is it sharing between occupants? If studio unit, I believe rent's listed too cheap and you should be wary.
Other costs to renting would be your own internet bills, electricity, water and small minor repairs. And some condos charge parking fees and booking of facilities (ie: tennis court, BBQ etc).
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 25 May 2020 6:23 pm

You need a residential pass to rent longer (>6 months) term. If you are going to be in Singapore based on tourist visa (short term visit pass) your legal accommodation choices are limited to hotels and alike, and service appartaments.
And agree with abbby, too cheap for this sort of property/location.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 26 May 2020 9:09 am

My money is on it being one of those typical bait and switch scams that some of the more fly-by-night agents tend to pull here. Once you send an inquiry, they typically come back with a "Sorry, that one has just gone, but no worries, we have another one, very similar, only the rent is somewhat higher."

However, before they let the cat out of the bag and give you the actual rent details, they usually ask you a bunch of questions (What's your budget? Where are you from?) to give them an idea of your $$ situation.

IOW, the rent answer you're looking for is commensurate to your replies.

My advice: Skip the agent.

That said, as stated by x9200, my post may be moot if you don't have a proper permit; without it, you're not allowed to take out any kind of lease.

Sonny_76

Post by Sonny_76 » Tue, 26 May 2020 4:54 pm

Hi,

For sure the add is false, as these apartments normally go for 4200,-...
with the current situation, probably can get it cheaper, but not 3400,- cheaper :lol:

anonemone

Post by anonemone » Wed, 27 May 2020 3:39 pm

At $800 that listing is most likely fake, or otherwise is just for one room in a unit.
Ads on this site can actually be pretty good (I found my place right now on here), but it's important to ensure they're legit. One way is to look at the picture quality--too nice and it might be generic publicity photos from the estate, and not photos of the actual unit. Other places to look are ., 99.co, and Carousell.
Hidden costs: if you're renting just a room, usually the listed price covers internet and utilities already. Otherwise, if you're renting a whole unit, you'll be paying internet and utilities (plus connection fees when you move in), and probably aircon servicing and repairs, but those can be negotiated.
Another hidden cost for renting, regardless of room or whole unit, is stamp duty, which is 0.4% of the rent for the contract period, which you have to pay on lease signing. And of course there's the deposit, which is usually one month rent for one year.
As everyone else said, you can only rent "normal" units if you have a long term pass. Otherwise, you'll have to go with Serviced Apartments, which are more expensive.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Thu, 28 May 2020 12:04 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Tue, 26 May 2020 9:09 am
My money is on it being one of those typical bait and switch scams that some of the more fly-by-night agents tend to pull here. Once you send an inquiry, they typically come back with a "Sorry, that one has just gone, but no worries, we have another one, very similar, only the rent is somewhat higher."
Not just a "fly-by-nite agent" tactic - I would say it's a completely general approach even among established agents, annoyingly so.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 28 May 2020 10:09 am

It's poorly done though. The rate is so low anyone who has looked for more than a day will spot that.