Singapore Expats Forum
 

Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Haruki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2020 5:59 pm

Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by Haruki » Mon, 25 May 2020 10:13 am

I read that ST article about a WFH survey with 9000 respondents from 90 companies. Apparently, 2 in 5 said that they were less productive when working from home, that it took them much longer to do the same amount of work that they would have completed otherwise.

That was actually quite surprising to me. I mean... Doesn't it make more sense to force yourself to work harder/smarter to complete the same amount of work so that you can have more time to enjoy yourself now that your boss isn't around to give you the stink eye?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7039
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 May 2020 10:44 am

I hate WFH
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 25 May 2020 11:35 am

WFH suits for certain tasks and can be more productive. But working from home with small kids doing HBL at same time is an absolute nightmare.

User avatar
abbby
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 3:00 am
Location: Tiny Island

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by abbby » Mon, 25 May 2020 11:41 am

I think WFH for the whole country is terrible. It's slow to get a response from your customers and clients, various departments, ie: accounts, finance...it really slows down productivity. And for families with kids around, is a nightmare as well.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3996
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 26 May 2020 10:08 pm

I personally love WFH. The amount of time saved in the commute and the lunch is huge. That is like 2 and half hours added. How can that not be improvement in productivity?

I personally find it more productive, that I can go and lock myself in the room and focus on my work. In office, it is always noisy and so many ways for distraction.

I believe all those people who say they prefer to come to office are
1) Lying
2) Dont have a life, office is their only life
3) Afraid, their job would be outsourced to a cheap 3rd world country and have to pretend how important they are and need to come to office.
4) Asian culture is all about showing your bottoms at work, if you leave office on time, people assume you are not productive. Maybe this translates people doing those surveys to write they prefer to be in office.

tt1973
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 3:14 pm

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by tt1973 » Wed, 27 May 2020 2:17 am

WFH needs lots of discipline! Easily will drift off to the bed, TV, games and more ...

Agree with the others that WFH + HBL for kids = nightmare!!!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3996
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 27 May 2020 9:08 am

tt1973 wrote:
Wed, 27 May 2020 2:17 am
WFH needs lots of discipline! Easily will drift off to the bed, TV, games and more ...

Agree with the others that WFH + HBL for kids = nightmare!!!
This is why we cannot have good things. I am shocked by your statement. Are you saying this about yourself or about others? This means, you cannot be trusted to work independently, when nobody is watching. This is exactly the Asian mentality that I was talking about.

We work in Agile scrum model. Every 2 weeks we have sprint planning. Every day we have standup. There are expectations out of us. We just need to deliver those expectations. How does it matter if you sit in Office, garden or starbucks as long as you deliver? Will you drift off to bed, when you know, tomorrow morning standup, you will be asked, whether you completed your task or not?

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 27 May 2020 9:19 am

Wd40, quite a generalisation from just your own experience.

If you have a bad office environment without privacy areas and a job which doesn't need much collaboration with others, it doesn't mean all other offices and jobs are all like that.

Also sounds like you were not allowed to work from home earlier if this is something new to experience. I've worked in roles, industry and companies where working from home or beach or wherever has been an option for the last 13 years here in Asia. In my opinion it suits for some things but not for everything. And it's easier for some people depending on their family situation too. Seems like you don't have that take care of homeschooling kids trouble either.

Lunch part I don't get, are you forced to take long lunch break in office? And not allowed to eat with your laptop if you wish?

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by bro75 » Wed, 27 May 2020 9:49 am

I like WFH but in terms of productivity, it is the same as in the office. Because we do not need to commute and prepare, there is additional time for work and other things but there are also distractions at the home.

bgd
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by bgd » Wed, 27 May 2020 10:07 am

It's all well and good until the tech fails. Last week I was upgraded to a new and better VM. Since then I've been spectacularly unproductive. I spend all my time watching support trying to fix my new and better VM. I'm currently waiting for a support "agent" now.

Haruki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2020 5:59 pm

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by Haruki » Wed, 27 May 2020 7:42 pm

I think if (A) the majority of our tasks allow for independent work, (B) we have the tech support we need, and (C) we don't have to juggle childcare demands at the same time, WFH is definitely the better choice... unless you're an extrovert and need people around to boost your energy levels lol.

Like Wd40 said, the hours saved on the commute is incredible. Adding that to my lunch time, and the amount of time I would have spent getting ready for work, I have roughly 4 extra hours a day now. When at work or commuting to/from work, I think the activities that we can do are so limited. If I'm at the office, I can't spend my lunch hour on a power nap without getting judged by my colleagues. I wouldn't be able to complete household chores, or get some quick exercise in. The office pantry isn't always conducive for work if I wanted to work through lunch either, and it takes more time/effort to try and cook in the office during a 1-hour lunch break. The list goes on.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3996
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 27 May 2020 7:47 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wed, 27 May 2020 9:19 am
Wd40, quite a generalisation from just your own experience.

If you have a bad office environment without privacy areas and a job which doesn't need much collaboration with others, it doesn't mean all other offices and jobs are all like that.

Also sounds like you were not allowed to work from home earlier if this is something new to experience. I've worked in roles, industry and companies where working from home or beach or wherever has been an option for the last 13 years here in Asia. In my opinion it suits for some things but not for everything. And it's easier for some people depending on their family situation too. Seems like you don't have that take care of homeschooling kids trouble either.

Lunch part I don't get, are you forced to take long lunch break in office? And not allowed to eat with your laptop if you wish?
My daughter does HBL but she is 8yrs old and quite independent. Also my wife is stay at home house wife so, she cooks for me and takes care of the house, I can focus totally on my work when I want to and when I need a break, I can talk to my wife and come and see my daughter etc.

We have a nice 3 bedroom house and just 3 of us. So there is lot of space and we are not bumping into each other, like maybe other Singaporeans with many people in the same house.

I can understand some jobs need collaboration, but that is an exception. Most jobs are perfectly suited to work from home.

Regarding lunch part, even if I sat at my desk and worked through my lunch, I cannot get leave office early, can I? But if I work from home, I can finish my work early and guess what? I am home!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3996
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 27 May 2020 8:00 pm

Haruki wrote:
Wed, 27 May 2020 7:42 pm
I think if (A) the majority of our tasks allow for independent work, (B) we have the tech support we need, and (C) we don't have to juggle childcare demands at the same time, WFH is definitely the better choice... unless you're an extrovert and need people around to boost your energy levels lol.

Like Wd40 said, the hours saved on the commute is incredible. Adding that to my lunch time, and the amount of time I would have spent getting ready for work, I have roughly 4 extra hours a day now. When at work or commuting to/from work, I think the activities that we can do are so limited. If I'm at the office, I can't spend my lunch hour on a power nap without getting judged by my colleagues. I wouldn't be able to complete household chores, or get some quick exercise in. The office pantry isn't always conducive for work if I wanted to work through lunch either, and it takes more time/effort to try and cook in the office during a 1-hour lunch break. The list goes on.
Exactly, if anyone is seeing through all the advantages you mentioned and still telling that they love to go to office, then I am guessing they are incredibly privileged. Maybe commute is not an issue for them. Maybe they have nice flexibility in the office to arrive and leave whenever they want. Maybe they manage big teams and them being in office is to make sure their subordinates are doing their jobs. If you are just a cog in the wheel, I cant believe you would say, you want to go to office.

fatandsmelly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:44 pm

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by fatandsmelly » Wed, 27 May 2020 11:46 pm

Good thing I'm unemployed, so I don't have such issues :(

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: Working from home decreasing or increasing productivity?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 28 May 2020 10:56 am

@WD40, so you statement was just because you have only one kid and a wife to serve you. Life can be quite different for 2 full time working parents with more than one kid like P1 kids just got school started. So calling others liars or losers whose jobs are at risk is a bit narrow minded and judgemental. Especially when you just explain that basically your own job could be as well done anywhere.

Not to mention that you work in a place where they or your mind watch after your working hours not your results. I can go to office or not go to office and leave when I'm there at any time and finish my work at home or whichever location I feel like. Obviously not now during Corona time but normally. And it's been like that for 13 years. So maybe it's your company's corporate culture that is not upto 21st century.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest