Singapore Expats

Marina Bay or Reflections at Keppel Bay or Sentosa ?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
tanyapluess

Marina Bay or Reflections at Keppel Bay or Sentosa ?

Post by tanyapluess » Mon, 25 May 2020 2:13 am

Dear expats

we are a family of 3 ( 9-year old boy ) plus an Australian Terrier (2 years old ) relocating from Switzerland to Singapore in July ( supposed to be by end of June but everything has changed because of the Covid )

We have been doing a lot of researching on the the internet about the housing, we live in a big house with a big garden and a pool in the "countryside" of Switzerland ;")

The idea of living in a flat with Harbour/ocean view is really attractive to us, therefore we have been targeting on the areas such as Marina Bay ( where my hubby goes to work ) or The Reflections at Keppel Bay ( where I could walk my dog and being closer to nature,water ) or the Resort-like Sentosa ( looks like a paradise to us )

We haven't been able to visit all those places ourselves yet- of course with the traveling restrictions now,and would really appreciated if there is anyone here could offer us any opnions on the locations that is suitable for our needs.

- great for dog walking ( since I am not working and staying at home with my Joy )
- Not too far to commute by a taxi for my hubby to work ( 20 minutes )
- within 40 minutes commuting time ( one way) by school bus to & from Swiss School
- Fitness center & Supermarkets nearby

My hubby's work would be involved with a lot of travelling, so at the end of the day, I will be the one with my dog spending most of the time at home,hopefully could enjoy the surroundings when the boys are out for work and school during the week.

We are now in favor of Sentosa,for the incredible laidback resort style, and the view...but worrying if it puts us too far from experiencing the city life,and for our son to travel to school.

BTW,we won't have a car.

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Regards

Tanya
Last edited by tanyapluess on Mon, 25 May 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Marina Bay or Reflections at Keppel Bay or Sentosa ?

Post by abbby » Mon, 25 May 2020 11:37 am

My most ideal for a relaxed lifestyle would be Sentosa for sure. I've visited some units there really really fell in love with a unit fronting the sea, large balcony where you can sit and relax and chill literally do nothing all day, great for Covid19 times..however, my only concern is the commute out into the mainland as it would require 2 buses to get in and out of sentosa, little inconvenient for those who don't drive. But if you really don't mind then, should be a nice lifestyle to consider.

I don't really like Reflections as I felt it was too large a development, walking in and out of the development took a while. And just feels like too many people around. It's quite a long walk to the harbourfront MRT too, think you can only get there by a bus.

Not too sure about Marina Bay, probably good for your husband in terms of closeness to his workplace, but I personally feel you can't get out of the 'work mode' living in the same vicinity as the workplace...

Hope this helps..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

tanyapluess

Re: Marina Bay or Reflections at Keppel Bay or Sentosa ?Tha

Post by tanyapluess » Mon, 25 May 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks Abbby for your feedback.

Your points are exactly mine as well.. after the lockdown, we have switched our priorities on housing :) But the traffic is a big concern, as I don't how bad it could be without a car ;')

Reflections does look stunning from the outside, but haven't been able to find any unit that we like yet. Probably have to take a taxi to work too.

I wonder if there is anyone who lives in Sentosa and has young aged kid who goes to the school on the mainland could share their experience

Hopefully SG will open up soon for us to fly in to check those areas out ourselves. :)

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Marina Bay or Reflections at Keppel Bay or Sentosa ?

Post by abbby » Tue, 26 May 2020 1:15 pm

Oh, you might also like to check with your children's school if the school buses do go via the sentosa route as some school buses do no want to go in and out as it delays their routes.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)