Singapore Expats

Redmart could have increased prices

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Redmart could have increased prices

Post by abbby » Thu, 21 May 2020 4:33 pm

Had been using Redmart for some time now. Lately, viewing items like meats and realised there's a rather huge increase for meats, chicken, pork, beef and fish. And also a smaller selection of pantry items. Do check the prices before you click 'Add to cart'. Did you realise it too?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Redmart could have increased prices

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 May 2020 5:49 pm

I've stopped using them when they decided to refund my live up membership fee and stopped carrying half of the products I used them for.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 May 2020 6:37 pm

Same here and also for most of Lazada. Too many of my orders got cancelled.
And yeah, I found their story behind stopping liveup not really convincing.
For Redmart, with their very limited choice now, hard to get and always extra paid delivery slots (my experience for last few weeks)... no, thank you.

Now I use almost exclusively Prime Now (Amazon ) and sometimes Fairprice. I reckon the later has already better choice than Redmar, although I also don't like the service fee they started to add.
Amazon.sg also has 2-3 days, free delivery (no minimum spent) for many food products.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 May 2020 7:40 pm

I've only used Lazada 2 or 3 times and that for off the wall but local purchases. I've never actually tried Fairprice online as NEX/NTUC is only bus stops away (2.4 km) so using a bus to get there (many buses from my flat) and a taxi to get back ($6.50) I'll just keep going there. Sheng Shiong is closer but a pain in the butt to get over there as only one circular bus and I don't always have good luck there. Actually it's great if you eat purely Asian though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 21 May 2020 8:36 pm

Yes, I was really upset too when they just cancelled my liveup membership. Was a rude shock without notifying. Oh, business must have picked up for them they don't need us now, and limit of 35 items per order is really a pain in the butt to keep having to remove items already on my cart...awful experience, really..

NTUC may not have a larger selection but I've used them on and off, but not very pleased with them as well. Like what x9200 said was the delivery fee (redmart) if min order not met and for NTUC a service fee on top of delivery fee(delivery fee applies if min. amt not met).

I love amazon.sg to be honest, always reliable and good after sales service need you have to reach them to follow up on your orders. My only wish is I do hope they can increase their offerings to compete with redmart and NTUC.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 May 2020 8:54 pm

I used Lazada pretty regularly similar way to using Ebay in past. Lazada offered very reasonable protection, much better than Paypal in recent years, and a good choice of local electronics/IT stuff. Unfortunately not my favorite any longer for the reasons mentioned above.

There are also some sellers on Lazda who supply to Redmart (e.g. wines) and even with the delivery fee it is often like 5-10% cheaper for exactly the same thing.

Fairprice online is the "Faiprice Finest" kind. They have some better choice comparing to the standard ones.

Giant online also used to be pretty reliable, but have not tried them during CB.