Singapore Expats

Social Distancing Ambasadors; authority?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Social Distancing Ambasadors; authority?

Post by martincymru » Wed, 20 May 2020 9:16 am

For example what authority do they have:
A. for not wearing a mask outdoors?
B. gatherings?
C. sitting on bench in mall for 3 minutes?
what else?

Btw: I was challenged on A. (admit I was breaking law) and C. (did now know this was law).
As for B., I see this law broken all the time / everywhere

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Social Distancing Ambasadors; authority?

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 May 2020 10:04 am

I don't think they are sworn officers of the law so I too am puzzled as to what warrant they operate under. I assume the health act covers them somehow or perhaps they are 'deputized' or are using a form of 'citizen's arrest' to hold you until an SPF officer shows up. This is quite interesting as powers of arrest are very limited in Singapore to "seizable offences" and I don't think the offences you mention would fall under that category. I'll ask a friend who is former SPF.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 May 2020 2:42 pm

I don't think they have any extra power. They are "ambassadors" so their role is to show here the legal/preferred conduct and advise on it. And as every single person they have rights to report the offenders.

I don't think they would attempt any citizen's arrests. If one was spitting at people and yelling he was infected with covid19, that could perhaps provide some justification. Not wearing mask, not keeping the distance, not really. IMHO of course.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 May 2020 4:55 pm

For your reading pleasure. Re: Social distancing ambassadors (or control officers by any other name from various Ministries. Here is the "THE COVID-19 (TEMPORARY MEASURES) (CONTROL ORDER) REGULATIONS 2020" See Pt 7 (bottom of Act)

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/COVID19TMA2020
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 May 2020 9:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 20 May 2020 4:55 pm
For your reading pleasure. Re: Social distancing ambassadors (or control officers by any other name from various Ministries. Here is the "THE COVID-19 (TEMPORARY MEASURES) (CONTROL ORDER) REGULATIONS 2020" See Pt 7 (bottom of Act)

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/COVID19TMA2020
I read it and have serious doubts whether social distancing ambassadors are those covered in this statue as enforcement officers. These are IMHO completely different roles. For example, indirectly from this link:
https://www.mewr.gov.sg/news/zero-toler ... mbassadors
The Police have observed an increase in the number of abuse cases against Enforcement Officers (EOs) and SG Clean and Safe Distancing Ambassadors since the implementation of Elevated Safe Distancing Measures (ESDM) to contain the spread of COVID-19. We will not tolerate this, and will take offenders to task.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 May 2020 11:47 pm

So the safe distancing ambassadors are protected by law. What more needs to be said. All they have to do is hit a button on phone and poof. the law appears. That's enough authority for me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 21 May 2020 10:29 am

This.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 May 2020 10:37 am

The question was about their authority not the extent they are protected.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 May 2020 12:14 pm

They are civil servants - I think that's the extent of their authority. Unfortunately Covid19 has been the perfect opportunity for government over reach.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 May 2020 12:48 pm

They are probably protected to discourage any hostile action against them but I think that's about it. They can not fine somebody, they can't arrest / detain, they can't personally enforce any action beyond extent of a normal person. And this is expected for this sort of job where many of them do it in a sort of ad hoc bases. Proper enforcement like this of the police requires knowledge and skills. No way to train so many people within such short time. This is big responsibility.

But then this doesn't mean they should not be respected. They do the right job and not an easy one for sure. In a conflict situation I would rather support them than question their authority.

mcquiry

Post by mcquiry » Sun, 08 Aug 2021 4:29 pm

What’s the penalty for violations on b), ie gatherings? Saw yesterday a group of 4 (expats) in a park getting questioned by a group of enforcement officers … Although they were not mingling but kept 2m apart but were chatting …

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Aug 2021 2:42 pm