Singapore Expats

Property Tenure

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Property Tenure

Post by abbby » Tue, 19 May 2020 10:52 am

When does the 99 years lease start for properties? Does it start on the year developer acquired the land or TOP date?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Property Tenure

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 19 May 2020 11:50 am

JR8 (who we think has passed away) would have loved this topic. It starts from when the title was created but can be "topped up" by developers. You can usually enquire as to how long is left.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 19 May 2020 12:37 pm

With a property of 70+ years left in Singapore, do you think such condos are worth buying? At about $1100 psf. It just feels like there's not much left to it...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 21 May 2020 10:38 am

70+ years is not much left? Of course if you plan to have it for your children's retirement home then I'd agree. That is still well pass Singapore 100 years national day celebrations.

I know most Singaporeans prefer to pay the freehold 30% or so premium. I wouldn't as I count it as part of my living cost. And rather save that to somewhere else. But for the price that really depends more on the location. I prefer the old condoes built or designed before Asian financial crisis, when unit and room sizes were bigger. And those are in that 70 years left range exactly.

But seeing how things are built I don't think most condos are worth maintaining for 99 years, but rather enbloc and bulldoze after 50-70 years.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 21 May 2020 12:16 pm

The primary problem is the banks stop lending when the lease falls below a certain period - I think it's 50 years?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 21 May 2020 1:17 pm

Yes more difficult to get a loan or smaller amount, but not if there's any law or regulation about it, it's more each banks risk assessment and policies. But there's some limitations for using CPF money related to the lease time. Was it something that must be long enough to you reach the age of 95. Plus not for properties with less than 30 year's lease left etc.