Singapore Expats

Can I voluneer for a charity whilst applying for jobs in Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
spcrowD

Can I voluneer for a charity whilst applying for jobs in Singapore?

Post by spcrowD » Wed, 06 May 2020 7:38 pm

I had plans to relocate to Singapore with my partner before covid-19, he is an EP holder and is head of shipping for a large oil company who relocated him from London. We are not married, so DP is not an option. We are both British nationals.

I am 22 and will graduate this month, and have built up a lot of experience in my field of medical journalism whilst studying. I currently work in clinical trials and would be seeking work in a communications role for a Pharma company, clinical trials centre or as a healthcare reporter in a news organisation. I have been employed for several years and whilst I am a "fresh grad" on paper I don't feel as though I would be entering the workforce with no experience like many grads the government would understandably rather prioritise. I am expecting a lot of problems finding a job, as I have been researching for several months on prospects of hiring foreigners which is going to be 10 times more difficult in light of the outbreak.

I am planning on leaving the UK and joining my partner with a 90 day visa as soon as it is safe to do so and travelling restrictions are no longer in place (aware this may be quite some time), volunteering for a charity in the UK some days of the week via web and phone support and the other days I would like to volunteer for a Singaporean charity, but I would like to know if Singaporean charities are a little hostile to help from British expats and I am looking for some advice/insight into how this might play out. I would be keen to help with seniors or those with disabilities, and I have experience in these areas. I'd also enjoy volunteering with the migrant dormitories and assisting in the pandemic where I can, as long as I can be with my partner who I've been apart from for quite some time and miss a great deal.

Is this at all feasible, and would I be allowed to job hunt while volunteering? Finances aren't a concern and I know I am lucky to be able to not worry about how long it might take me to find work. If I don't find a job whilst on a 90 day visa which I am expecting to be, I will return to the UK until I can leave and try again. Any advice or tips with searching and what to expect regarding volunteering will be really appreciated. Thank you :)

Haruki
Regular
Regular

Re: Can I voluneer for a charity whilst applying for jobs in Singapore?

Post by Haruki » Tue, 12 May 2020 8:33 pm

Hello there :) It's great to hear that you're thinking of volunteering while job hunting. Many of the local charities here would welcome you with open arms. I can't imagine anyone turning you away simply because you're a British expat...unless there's a language issue and the charity in question needs someone with a good command of Mandarin, Malay, etc.--assuming that you don't speak these fluently! Quite a number of seniors aren't proficient in English, so some willingness to learn some simple words in their language would probably go a long way.