Singapore Expats Forum

People still without masks

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BigginHill
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Re: People still without masks

Post by BigginHill » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:09 pm

Apart from me whining about the discomfort of outdoor face masks in the Botanic Gardens & similar lack of concessions to a perfectly tuned pandemic lifestyle...

For the record:

Thank you Singapore!

I'm genuinely honoured to live here, and this tiny country continue to impress me.

Just booked my 1st Pfizer jab appointment for the following week.

Amazing. My own home country won't even start innoculating my age group for another 2 months.

Meanwhile Singapore positioned themselves way ahead with superior planning & resources!

And everyone's getting vaccinated for free, with a state- of-the-art vaccine. All residents treated equally & fairly, no matter your nationality, job or income.

Bravo!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 2

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:18 pm

I had my 2nd jab on the 14th so I'm just about past the 2 weeks after the 2nd Jab. I got mine early even though, as you have rightly noted, they are NOT playing favourites with regards to citizens vrs others. I'm a PR, but the only reason I got it is I'm technically a front-liner as well as an over 70 (I've been an active PA (RC) member for over a dozen years.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:24 am

A bit early to expect results if only about 50/100 vaccines given recently in Chile. Not sure if that is 1 or 2 dose vaccine, so that number could be only 25% of population.

And without being a medical expert I would expect that after vaccination one needs some time to build any immunity. It's not like let's have a big fiesta to celebrate same day you got vaccinated.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:26 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:09 pm
Apart from me whining about the discomfort of outdoor face masks in the Botanic Gardens & similar lack of concessions to a perfectly tuned pandemic lifestyle...

For the record:

Thank you Singapore!

I'm genuinely honoured to live here, and this tiny country continue to impress me.

Just booked my 1st Pfizer jab appointment for the following week.

Amazing. My own home country won't even start innoculating my age group for another 2 months.

Meanwhile Singapore positioned themselves way ahead with superior planning & resources!

And everyone's getting vaccinated for free, with a state- of-the-art vaccine. All residents treated equally & fairly, no matter your nationality, job or income.

Bravo!
Singapore has really done a great job in handling the pandemic. I do wish the vaccinations could be administered more quickly but I’m sure the government is doing its best. And yes, the emphasis on fairness and equality in offering the vaccine to everyone is definitely commendable. My father (a PR) is due for his second dose of the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine in about a week.

BigginHill
Regular
Regular

Post by BigginHill » Wed, 31 Mar 2021 6:26 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 27 Mar 2021 3:04 pm
...unless you get a variant that overcomes the vaccine (seems to be a few that require scrutiny arising in India).
Speaking of variants & mutations...

Those have basically taken over the press coverage for the past 6 months!

It's almost as if COVID "classic" is losing its street cred & perceived as a kinder, lesser pathogen.

As suspected, the media may just prove to be hyping the variants a bit too much. ("vaccines rendered useless!", "a constant chase to catch up, forever 6-12 mths behind!" etc)

Looks like mutations & self-selection may have its limits regarding COVID...

"In mutant variants, has Covid-19 shown its best tricks?"