Singapore Expats

People still without masks

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: People still without masks

Post by BigginHill » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:09 pm

Apart from me whining about the discomfort of outdoor face masks in the Botanic Gardens & similar lack of concessions to a perfectly tuned pandemic lifestyle...

For the record:

Thank you Singapore!

I'm genuinely honoured to live here, and this tiny country continue to impress me.

Just booked my 1st Pfizer jab appointment for the following week.

Amazing. My own home country won't even start innoculating my age group for another 2 months.

Meanwhile Singapore positioned themselves way ahead with superior planning & resources!

And everyone's getting vaccinated for free, with a state- of-the-art vaccine. All residents treated equally & fairly, no matter your nationality, job or income.

Bravo!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:18 pm

I had my 2nd jab on the 14th so I'm just about past the 2 weeks after the 2nd Jab. I got mine early even though, as you have rightly noted, they are NOT playing favourites with regards to citizens vrs others. I'm a PR, but the only reason I got it is I'm technically a front-liner as well as an over 70 (I've been an active PA (RC) member for over a dozen years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:24 am

A bit early to expect results if only about 50/100 vaccines given recently in Chile. Not sure if that is 1 or 2 dose vaccine, so that number could be only 25% of population.

And without being a medical expert I would expect that after vaccination one needs some time to build any immunity. It's not like let's have a big fiesta to celebrate same day you got vaccinated.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:26 pm

BigginHill wrote:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:09 pm
Apart from me whining about the discomfort of outdoor face masks in the Botanic Gardens & similar lack of concessions to a perfectly tuned pandemic lifestyle...

For the record:

Thank you Singapore!

I'm genuinely honoured to live here, and this tiny country continue to impress me.

Just booked my 1st Pfizer jab appointment for the following week.

Amazing. My own home country won't even start innoculating my age group for another 2 months.

Meanwhile Singapore positioned themselves way ahead with superior planning & resources!

And everyone's getting vaccinated for free, with a state- of-the-art vaccine. All residents treated equally & fairly, no matter your nationality, job or income.

Bravo!
Singapore has really done a great job in handling the pandemic. I do wish the vaccinations could be administered more quickly but I’m sure the government is doing its best. And yes, the emphasis on fairness and equality in offering the vaccine to everyone is definitely commendable. My father (a PR) is due for his second dose of the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine in about a week.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Wed, 31 Mar 2021 6:26 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 27 Mar 2021 3:04 pm
...unless you get a variant that overcomes the vaccine (seems to be a few that require scrutiny arising in India).
Speaking of variants & mutations...

Those have basically taken over the press coverage for the past 6 months!

It's almost as if COVID "classic" is losing its street cred & perceived as a kinder, lesser pathogen.

As suspected, the media may just prove to be hyping the variants a bit too much. ("vaccines rendered useless!", "a constant chase to catch up, forever 6-12 mths behind!" etc)

Looks like mutations & self-selection may have its limits regarding COVID...

"In mutant variants, has Covid-19 shown its best tricks?"

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 8:08 am

Cool article that I was waiting on to appear for a long time.

US military have done studies on the effect of sunlight to inactivate C19.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/222/4/564/5856149

I had some debate on a forum, can’t remember this one or another, where I argued UV can inactivate viruses because of how thin and unprotected their structures are.

My position was held by the fact that bacteria in the surface level of water bodies can also be inactive by strong sunlight, whereas hardier spores (i.e Anthrax and fungal spores) can survive for decades due to dehydrated state.

Message - enjoy the outdoors rather than indoors, and maintain distancing and barrier methods until we are really certain this blows over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:24 am

Very interesting, I never thought about this.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 10:56 am

Another interesting article that also reminds of my past work on HIV:

http://url2151.isid.org/ls/click?upn=TT ... xHlBik8-3D

Among autopsied C19 patients, neurological damage was observed, likely caused by the immune system rather than the virus or bacteria.

Brain fog has been reported in survivors, with no known recovery timeline (learning as we go along).

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 10:58 am

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 11:16 am

the observer wrote:
Thu, 22 Apr 2021 10:58 am
What comes after double mutant.

The triple mutant.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/indi ... 35094.html

And this ...

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/50-india-doub ... 18466.html
Goodness, thats terrifying.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 4:34 pm

Blah, blah - media scaremongering!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 23 Apr 2021 7:57 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 8:08 am
Cool article that I was waiting on to appear for a long time.

US military have done studies on the effect of sunlight to inactivate C19.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/222/4/564/5856149

I had some debate on a forum, can’t remember this one or another, where I argued UV can inactivate viruses because of how thin and unprotected their structures are.

My position was held by the fact that bacteria in the surface level of water bodies can also be inactive by strong sunlight, whereas hardier spores (i.e Anthrax and fungal spores) can survive for decades due to dehydrated state.
I don't think there is anything unique about this virus in that respect so any UV or higher energy rich(er) radiation should have an impact. Same goes for the ways it mutates. The whole mess we are deep in is related to the combination of relatively low severity, relatively high contagiousness and the offset or lack of the symptoms.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 23 Apr 2021 12:20 pm

X9200,

Yes, transmission with most viruses is due to close proximity and indoor environments.

The research affirms that outdoor sunny environments are safer. So people should spend more time in Sunny dry outdoors than indoors, whilst maintaining current distance and barrier habits.

Should enjoy the Botanic Gardens and Cycling while the sun is out...