Singapore Expats

People still without masks

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: People still without masks

Post by the observer » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 8:48 am

Another one of Lisa’s digging up the past post

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 12:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They'll be breaking down glass doors to get it (the last sentence). I was here during the Hello Kitty debacle. Image :roll: :oops!: :shit:
My spouse went to Q overnight.
There is a fight when Q for Hello Kitty at my sis school.

Everyday got news about Hello Kitty

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 3:29 pm

the observer wrote:
Sat, 06 Feb 2021 8:41 am
I’d continue wearing because of this article.

Lower viral load, less complications. Just my 2cts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/hea ... unity.html
I’d like to hear what BBCDoc has to say about that article.

It sounds a bit like pseudoscience... in my simple mind, a virus is like a sperm, it only takes one - - no such thing has half pregnant. But I’m no expert.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 3:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 06 Feb 2021 1:26 am
They'll be breaking down glass doors to get it (the last sentence). I was here during the Hello Kitty debacle. :lol: :roll: :oops!: :shit:
I was here during that time as well... my wife actually joined one of those long queues (though she would prefer to forget she did). Where is that prized hello kitty she got last time? Long gone, never to be seen again.

People here are instinctively drawn to long queues because anytime demand exceeds supply, it must be something good or at least a good deal. And yes, I have actually experienced people getting into a queue behind me and later asking me what the queue was for. This is a true classic!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 7:04 pm

malcontent wrote:
the observer wrote:

It sounds a bit like pseudoscience... in my simple mind, a virus is like a sperm, it only takes one - - no such thing has half pregnant. But I’m no expert.
Hi Malcontent,

For all pathogens studied in the lab, there is a terminology ‘minimum infectious dose’. How much is required to establish an infection in a controlled environment.

This dose is different according to the pathogen - HBV and Shigella are by far the most infectious agents reported. Others such as HIV can take several hundred thousand particles - but can vary depending on the mutation.

I actually mutated HIV in the past and made it far more infectious than usual...thankfully that didn’t escape the lab...

Port this concept over into real world and you now have a hot pot of genetic variants, different types of masks and now different vaccines that generate varying levels of protective antibodies.

The virus mutates far faster than we can breed or make a new vaccine. In fact, it’s ill conceived to think the virus is intelligently changing to beat the vaccine - it’s not. The mutants are already out there, they are just waiting for the right (human-created) environment to allow it to multiple and overcome the current interventions.

That’s why we have a new influenza vaccine every year....and why we don’t have an HIV vaccine (well, probably some issues with Pharma profits in the latter)

As for me, I’ll probably continue to wear masks until the background levels of cases (esp imported) comes down closer to zero, and certainly won’t take chances in the plane or overseas. I used to wear masks on the plane anyway - helps keep my humidified and also stops me getting exposed to respiratory agents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks BBCDoc, learn something new everyday!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 8:29 pm

All the good stuff comes out with beer...

My peers and I agreed - if we ever had to conduct a PhD examination, we’d do it in a bar to see what the candidate really knows and thinks.

More fun and real...in fact, that’s how I got my current job...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Feb 2021 8:51 pm

Oddly, enough, that's where I got the job that changed my entire life. Sent me to Singapore for 12 months in 1982, It will be 39 years ago this coming 11 June. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 07 Feb 2021 4:24 am

Indeed, when I had my business in Singapore, the interview process always included a round or two at the Penny Black. Occasionally even included a confederate who would behave as a complete wanker to see how our potential candidate would react to difficult people.

stanley81ng

Post by stanley81ng » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:47 pm

i brought my kids to the playground today...i saw the domestic helper not wearing mask and blowing bubbles with the kids under her care...i promptly left the place with my kids ....too many inconsiderate people around....

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 5:11 pm

stanley81ng wrote:
Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:47 pm
i brought my kids to the playground today...i saw the domestic helper not wearing mask and blowing bubbles with the kids under her care...i promptly left the place with my kids ....too many inconsiderate people around....
Yes, and it’s especially difficult to enforce in condos and other private areas where no safe distancing ambassadors enforce the rules. I really hope people can be more considerate or will have to wear the masks for much longer.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Thu, 25 Mar 2021 3:48 pm

Meanwhile, masks are now completely optional in Sydney & rest of NSW. I believe it's the same in several other Oz states & territories...

NO more masks as major changes are made to NSW's coronavirus rules

No such luck here.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Fri, 26 Mar 2021 5:58 am

True, but any time they detect a few cases they lock down areas aggressively for a few days.

Have to decide if you prefer that type of uncertainty versus wearing masks and the Singapore way for now...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Mar 2021 1:14 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Fri, 26 Mar 2021 5:58 am
True, but any time they detect a few cases they lock down areas aggressively for a few days.

Have to decide if you prefer that type of uncertainty versus wearing masks and the Singapore way for now...

True, I prefer the stability in Singapore although you must admit it would be nice to be able to go out without masks and host more than 8 people at once.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 27 Mar 2021 1:15 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 06 Feb 2021 7:04 pm
malcontent wrote:
the observer wrote:

So interesting, thanks for sharing!

Hi Malcontent,

For all pathogens studied in the lab, there is a terminology ‘minimum infectious dose’. How much is required to establish an infection in a controlled environment.

This dose is different according to the pathogen - HBV and Shigella are by far the most infectious agents reported. Others such as HIV can take several hundred thousand particles - but can vary depending on the mutation.

I actually mutated HIV in the past and made it far more infectious than usual...thankfully that didn’t escape the lab...

Port this concept over into real world and you now have a hot pot of genetic variants, different types of masks and now different vaccines that generate varying levels of protective antibodies.

The virus mutates far faster than we can breed or make a new vaccine. In fact, it’s ill conceived to think the virus is intelligently changing to beat the vaccine - it’s not. The mutants are already out there, they are just waiting for the right (human-created) environment to allow it to multiple and overcome the current interventions.

That’s why we have a new influenza vaccine every year....and why we don’t have an HIV vaccine (well, probably some issues with Pharma profits in the latter)

As for me, I’ll probably continue to wear masks until the background levels of cases (esp imported) comes down closer to zero, and certainly won’t take chances in the plane or overseas. I used to wear masks on the plane anyway - helps keep my humidified and also stops me getting exposed to respiratory agents