Singapore Expats

How to appeal LTVP rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Corpuscle94

How to appeal LTVP rejection

Post by Corpuscle94 » Sun, 26 Apr 2020 3:09 pm

Hi, this is my first post here but I'd be grateful for advice on my current situation.

For context, I am British (caucasian) married to a SC (Chinese). We've been in a relationship since 2013 and married since June 2018. We both have Bachelor's degrees and are currently studying for postgraduate degrees in the UK.

My husband is a government scholar, and was recalled to SG in mid-March by his scholarship agency. We arrived in SG on the 17th of March, applied for LTVP straight away, and got a notification of rejection on the 30th of March, with no reason given for the rejection. My husband contacted his MP, who sent a letter to ICA on the 5th of April asking them to reconsider, but we haven't heard anything from ICA. We've asked for help from his scholarship agency, but sadly they've not offered us any concrete help.

Does anyone have any experience of appealing an LTVP rejection decision directly with ICA? There doesn't seem to be any official appeal form, so how does one go about the appeal?

My Visit Pass expires in mid-June and we doubt we'll be able to return to the UK by then, which leaves us in a difficult position if I don't get LTVP.

I'd be grateful for any constructive advice. Thanks in advance!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: How to appeal LTVP rejection

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 26 Apr 2020 4:53 pm

Corpuscle94 wrote:
Sun, 26 Apr 2020 3:09 pm
Hi, this is my first post here but I'd be grateful for advice on my current situation.

For context, I am British (caucasian) married to a SC (Chinese). We've been in a relationship since 2013 and married since June 2018. We both have Bachelor's degrees and are currently studying for postgraduate degrees in the UK.

My husband is a government scholar, and was recalled to SG in mid-March by his scholarship agency. We arrived in SG on the 17th of March, applied for LTVP straight away, and got a notification of rejection on the 30th of March, with no reason given for the rejection. My husband contacted his MP, who sent a letter to ICA on the 5th of April asking them to reconsider, but we haven't heard anything from ICA. We've asked for help from his scholarship agency, but sadly they've not offered us any concrete help.

Does anyone have any experience of appealing an LTVP rejection decision directly with ICA? There doesn't seem to be any official appeal form, so how does one go about the appeal?

My Visit Pass expires in mid-June and we doubt we'll be able to return to the UK by then, which leaves us in a difficult position if I don't get LTVP.

I'd be grateful for any constructive advice. Thanks in advance!
There will be no format for appeal. You have to write a letter with the reasons and documentation on why they have to reconsider the application for appeal and if it is valid, ICA will reconsider and process it. I think since the MP has already written in, ICA will reconsider based on the facts that you provided.

I dont think you can do more than this. Also, Is your husband working in SG or elsewhere? If i remember right, for LTVP application, the sponsor has to demonstrate via his job history (salary,cpf,etc) that he will be able to take care of the person in LTVP.

Corpuscle94

Post by Corpuscle94 » Sun, 26 Apr 2020 9:59 pm

Thanks for your reply; that's helpful. We'll wait a bit longer, then, in the hope of hearing back following the MP's letter.

My husband is studying for a PhD in the UK, but as he's a government scholar he receives a salary in SGD as well as a stipend in GBP. So money isn't an issue but it's a bit murky, as he's sort of considered a government employee but isn't usually resident in SG. But we're hoping that the fact that he's been recalled, and will start serving his bond next year anyway, will encourage ICA to reconsider.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 26 Apr 2020 10:03 pm

Corpuscle94 wrote:
Sun, 26 Apr 2020 9:59 pm
Thanks for your reply; that's helpful. We'll wait a bit longer, then, in the hope of hearing back following the MP's letter.

My husband is studying for a PhD in the UK, but as he's a government scholar he receives a salary in SGD as well as a stipend in GBP. So money isn't an issue but it's a bit murky, as he's sort of considered a government employee but isn't usually resident in SG. But we're hoping that the fact that he's been recalled, and will start serving his bond next year anyway, will encourage ICA to reconsider.
Sometimes Stipend is seen as something that is used to support oneself and not a dependant. So, that might be one of the reason for rejection. We have seen cases where applicants had enough savings, but what ICA will look for is income from regular job that can be used to take care of both the sponsor and the dependant.

Anyway do let us know on how it goes. Good Luck !