Singapore Expats

Insurance with Pre-existing, and Retirement

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
richard.hazlehurst

Insurance with Pre-existing, and Retirement

Post by richard.hazlehurst » Sat, 25 Apr 2020 10:32 pm

Hi,

I've been offered a job in Singapore. The job offers health insurance which looks good for GP visits, but expensive for larger outpatient or inpatient procedures. It also states that it does not cover pre-existing conditions. Both my wife and I have some minor pre-existing conditions and think we need a supplementary policy to provide more coverage. I would love to hear if anyone has a similar experience, what your solution was, and the financial impact. I'm sure it depends on a lot of factors, but I'm trying to understand as much as possible before accepting or declining the offer. I am 52 and my wife is 49.

Also, I don't see anything like a 401K offered, so assuming company match is not a thing. I assume its best to invest into a mutual fund with a private investment firm with no pre-tax benefit?

Thanks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Insurance with Pre-existing, and Retirement

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:08 am

Medical care here is not super expensive. Unfortunately it will be hard to get coverage for pre-existing conditions on an inidividual policy so see if you can join a group policy via your work place.

401k don't exist but there is an SRS system that saves tax and may be worthing looking at and is available to expats.

https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Scheme ... eme--SRS-/
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Insurance with Pre-existing, and Retirement

Post by malcontent » Tue, 13 Jul 2021 1:31 am

Most employer group plans here have rather pathetic caps on payouts. I think my employer is around $30-40k. Many in my office buy private insurance to supplement. Some private insurance plans can go up to $1-2m max, but they are not cheap - and they cannot be relied upon to cover all out of pocket expenses. There is no easy answer that I’m aware of - maybe worse comes to worse, you return to the US and get on Obamacare?

My employer offers an ESPP with an employer match (50¢ for every $1 up to 6% of salary). My employer also contributes nearly the max to my SRS, over $30k annually. These two benefits are not commonplace, however, we don’t get other perks like a car allowance and our bonuses usually suck. Every employer is a bit different.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr