Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore from USA

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
denly90

Moving to Singapore from USA

Post by denly90 » Sat, 25 Apr 2020 2:27 am

I am moving from the USA to Singapore with my Singaporean wife soon and wanted to ask a few questions:

1. What's the best way for me to find a job? I have 6 years of experience in investment banking and private equity

2. What are some things worth bringing from the USA? Looking for things that are either hard to find or really expensive in Singapore

3. Whats the best banking option? I'd like to be able to access / move my cash from the USA to Singapore

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Moving to Singapore from USA

Post by bgd » Sat, 25 Apr 2020 9:18 am

1. LinkedIn or whatever network you have. Also company websites. Agents here are generally useless. Obviously not a good time to be job seeking.
2. Anything from the US is pricey now due to the exchange rate, so whatever you might miss I guess.
3. I use Citibank and they have been fine but there are some new players like Revolut and Youtrip which are worth looking into for additional services / options.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Tue, 09 Jun 2020 2:41 pm

denly90 wrote:
Sat, 25 Apr 2020 2:27 am
I am moving from the USA to Singapore with my Singaporean wife soon and wanted to ask a few questions:

1. What's the best way for me to find a job? I have 6 years of experience in investment banking and private equity

3. Whats the best banking option? I'd like to be able to access / move my cash from the USA to Singapore
Not from the US, so can't answer 2.
For point 1: if you are currently working, ask that company to move you.
Point 3. I would use a firm that is both in the US and Singapore, so as to reduce fees. I think Citi is the one that might work for you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 09 Jun 2020 2:50 pm

3. Transferwise is a good option.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!