Singapore Expats

Why are people so crazed about bubble tea

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Why are people so crazed about bubble tea

Post by abbby » Wed, 22 Apr 2020 1:15 pm

What's the craze with this drink? It tastes ordinary and laden with sugar and starch...don't they know they are prone to diabetes by consuming so much bubble tea..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Why are people so crazed about bubble tea

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Apr 2020 3:18 pm

Maybe that's it. They are feeding their sugar addiction. I've never tried it. But I don't know of any oral fixation that I would line up for at midnight to have a "last one". Maybe that's just me though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:50 pm

I consider myself a bubble tea fanatic, but unlike what you have written, I choose to consume my bubble tea without any added sugar, only ordering at 0% sweetness. More often than not, I also choose to go without toppings. You may then ask, can this even be considered bubble tea? Why drink at all if you are going to go without every element that makes different from plain tea? To that I say I consume it this way purely because I enjoy the actual tea, and would rather pay a couple dollars than go through the trouble of brewing it at home every time a craving strikes. To me, bubble tea is about the tea, not the sugar or the toppings. It’s delicious, give it a try before you make a judgement.

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Post by tt1973 » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 12:53 am

I like bubble tea cos it's sweet? And the chewy pearls?

If it is 0% sugar I rather drink the traditional tea 8-)

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 9:58 am

I've stopped drinking bubble tea, it's just a sugar laden drink, Singapore's versions taste artificial, those abroad ie: HK, Taiwan are brewed with real tea and are really fragrant and milky.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 1:28 pm

I've never tried the stuff. But I drink Pepsi Black or double-bagged Boh teh O kosong, so maybe sugar is the reason.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 01 Dec 2020 5:28 pm

My latest tea purchase from NTUC online was Cha Tra Mue “Gold” from Thailand and it says on the packet “ideal for making bubble tea.” I’m not into bubbles (or any other non-liquid objects in my drink for that matter), but I can barely go a day without teh.

During my first 10 years in Singapore, I stubbornly refused to try any tea, let alone tea with milk. Little did I know, sweetened condensed milk is a game changer. I’m not sure why more people don’t make it at home. Once you know how, it can’t be easier and you can then control the sugar content too.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr