Singapore Expats

Unpaid Leave while on S-PASS

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
yosithezet

Unpaid Leave while on S-PASS

Post by yosithezet » Mon, 20 Apr 2020 3:39 pm

Does anyone have experience with what happens when taking unpaid leave while on an S-PASS? My wife is considering extending her maternity leave by two months, but she is on an S-PASS. Curious as to how this is handled because she is technically still employed, but not working.

One of the issues is that we don't have a nanny/domestic helper and I don't see it being possible to get one who can enter the country in the next few months due to COVID-19.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Unpaid Leave while on S-PASS

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Apr 2020 5:43 pm

Check for a transfer maid that is already here or wanting to transfer when current contract ends. This is what the MOM is advising as well. I picked up a transfer maid 3 years ago and she has been a blessing for me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yosithezet

Post by yosithezet » Mon, 20 Apr 2020 8:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 20 Apr 2020 5:43 pm
Check for a transfer maid that is already here or wanting to transfer when current contract ends. This is what the MOM is advising as well. I picked up a transfer maid 3 years ago and she has been a blessing for me.
Good idea. Should I just call various agencies, assuming they are picking up the phone during the circuit breaker, and check if they are aware of any? Or is there another suggested route?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Apr 2020 9:47 pm

That is probably the easiest way, but getting out to interview them is going to be your problem. I'm pretty sure they will be answer the phones as they always have maid 'in storage' (e.g., already here and finished their contracts or had their contracts terminated). Agency should be able to fill you in on what they currently have "in stock". Better way is to have one of you friends/colleagues who currently have a domestic helper and ask her to check her own pipeline/recommendations - try to find one who has a domestic of the nationality you would prefer - if you have a preference (Be aware that Filipino maids are the most expensive and dealing with the crap with the Philippines embassy/agency is almost enough to put one off but they usually have the best English). The only problem I can envision, aside from conducting an interview (this could be done online with any number of video links today like messanger or skype, etc) is if you haven't had a domestic helper here before there is a course the employer has to take as well. This might be a stumbling block but if the girl has an agency I'm sure they know how to handle it as it's their business. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 21 Apr 2020 8:47 am

The EOP (Employee Orientation Program ) required by MOM has been online at least since 2011 when I had to do it. So that shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... gramme-eop

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Apr 2020 9:17 am

PPF, I know it's a breeze but I never had to take as I once had a maid for 2 years in 1984~86 after my 1st child was born but well before those courses started. Never had another but 3 years ago, because my MiL is bedridden and dementia stricken so no long able to talk either and my wife had a heart attack 10 years ago so is not able to lift her to tend to her. I had to break down and get another one. nothing like 32 years between domestic helpers but because we had already had one previously we were not required to take the course. Just goes to show, this government has a long memory. lol