Singapore Expats

New PR Singpass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aviciii

New PR Singpass

Post by aviciii » Wed, 08 Apr 2020 11:54 pm

Good Day,

As a new PR, how to set up new Singpass with NRIC?

According to Singpass FAQ:
As a new Singapore Permanent Resident (PR), you will automatically be registered for a new SingPass account. A PIN mailer, containing your new SingPass password, will be sent to your registered address.
I want to ask how long does the mailer take based on your experience?

I also read this forum stating we need to set up new Singpass on our own so i am confused.

Thanks in advance

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: New PR Singpass

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 09 Apr 2020 10:56 am

aviciii wrote:
Wed, 08 Apr 2020 11:54 pm
Good Day,

As a new PR, how to set up new Singpass with NRIC?

According to Singpass FAQ:
As a new Singapore Permanent Resident (PR), you will automatically be registered for a new SingPass account. A PIN mailer, containing your new SingPass password, will be sent to your registered address.
I want to ask how long does the mailer take based on your experience?

I also read this forum stating we need to set up new Singpass on our own so i am confused.

Thanks in advance
You dont need to setup. Please wait for a week to 10 days to receive the mailer. Usually it is within a week, but based on the current circumstance it might take upto 10 days.

aviciii

Post by aviciii » Thu, 09 Apr 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for clarifying, previously when i was on SPass, all Singpass Pin mailer for me and my colleagues has been posted to my employers address instead of my residential address, and by the time we got hold to it the pin has expired. I hope this time the mailer is directed to my residential address.

BananZ

Post by BananZ » Wed, 05 Aug 2020 12:13 am

aviciii wrote:
Thu, 09 Apr 2020 12:46 pm
Thanks for clarifying, previously when i was on SPass, all Singpass Pin mailer for me and my colleagues has been posted to my employers address instead of my residential address, and by the time we got hold to it the pin has expired. I hope this time the mailer is directed to my residential address.
Hi Avicii, did you receive your PIN mailer at your employer's address or your residential address? Just checking if I need to give my employer a heads up.
My first PIN mailer for my EP was sent to office last time as I hadn't found a place to stay yet, it is more likely to be sent to my current residential add ... like our IPA

YugiChala

Post by YugiChala » Wed, 05 Aug 2020 11:28 am

PIN mailer will be sent your residential address. You will first receive a letter stating that your PIN mailer has been posted. In a couple of days following that will be the mail with PIN itself. All to residential address.

hags

Post by hags » Thu, 13 Jan 2022 1:49 pm

Hi ,

Does the singpass password is posted after collecting the ic or after completing the pr formalities .

As I saw In above post people mentioned 10 days time . Is this time after completing the pr formalities at ICA or after collecting the physical IC

Thanks

MajulahSingapore

Post by MajulahSingapore » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 6:11 pm

You can also walk in to any SINGPASS counter islandwide and they can reset the password in 2 minutes

Otherwise you have to wait for 5-10 working days to get the password by mail

PS: I just did this process today so thought to share.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 8:41 pm

Aren’t EP holders supposed to already have Singpass?

I’m on EP and do have it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 16 Feb 2022 6:44 am

Anyone with a IC number or FIN can set up a SingPass. It’s the first part where you make a password that takes a while… so going to a community centre to set it up is much faster than doing so online and waiting for a letter of confirmation to come in the mail.

mohamed66

Post by mohamed66 » Wed, 16 Feb 2022 3:02 pm

hags wrote:
Thu, 13 Jan 2022 1:49 pm
Hi ,

Does the singpass password is posted after collecting the ic or after completing the pr formalities .

As I saw In above post people mentioned 10 days time . Is this time after completing the pr formalities at ICA or after collecting the physical IC

Thanks
After completing the formalities. I completed my PR formalities on 8th Feb and received Singpass password on 14th Feb.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:46 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 16 Feb 2022 6:44 am
Anyone with a IC number or FIN can set up a SingPass. It’s the first part where you make a password that takes a while… so going to a community centre to set it up is much faster than doing so online and waiting for a letter of confirmation to come in the mail.
My daughter set up her Singpass a while ago, didn’t take much time at all. Pretty sure it was something like a 3 day wait from the time she registered online to the time she received her login letter.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 21 Feb 2022 7:29 am

^ You missed the point. Sometimes they are government administrative matters that requires a SingPass and needs to be completed within a deadline and it cannot wait 3 days for the mailer. Much faster to to do in person at a CC.

I overlooked that for my foreigner husband on LTVP ‘cos I thought he couldn’t have one. And when we were buying a HDB, he needed a SingPass to complete the formalities so we had to rush down at 7pm on a Saturday evening to the nearest CC to get it on the spot. Whew.

That’s when I learned that as long as you have been granted a long term pass (PEP, EP, S-pass, work permit, LTVP, DP, student pass), you are eligible for SingPass.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:24 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 21 Feb 2022 7:29 am
^ You missed the point. Sometimes they are government administrative matters that requires a SingPass and needs to be completed within a deadline and it cannot wait 3 days for the mailer. Much faster to to do in person at a CC.

I overlooked that for my foreigner husband on LTVP ‘cos I thought he couldn’t have one. And when we were buying a HDB, he needed a SingPass to complete the formalities so we had to rush down at 7pm on a Saturday evening to the nearest CC to get it on the spot. Whew.

That’s when I learned that as long as you have been granted a long term pass (PEP, EP, S-pass, work permit, LTVP, DP, student pass), you are eligible for SingPass.
I guess the entry point for a foreigner would be the FIN? Once you have that, you can get a SingPass?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Feb 2022 7:12 pm

If I remember right, in the early days SingPass was only for SC/PR. I tried to stay away from it but was eventually coerced into getting it for IRAS purposes.

I also remember that IRAS did not allow me to make 12 months of GIRO payments in the early days as well, had to cough up one lump sum each year! Not sure if they opened it up to me because I hit a certain $ threshold or # of years in SG or maybe like SingPass, it just opened up to everyone.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 21 Feb 2022 9:24 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 21 Feb 2022 7:12 pm
If I remember right, in the early days SingPass was only for SC/PR. I tried to stay away from it but was eventually coerced into getting it for IRAS purposes.

I also remember that IRAS did not allow me to make 12 months of GIRO payments in the early days as well, had to cough up one lump sum each year! Not sure if they opened it up to me because I hit a certain $ threshold or # of years in SG or maybe like SingPass, it just opened up to everyone.
Giro for IRAS payments has been an option right from the first year I moved here. I think they just opened it up for everyone. Just like SingPass.