income tax??

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Post Reply

income tax??

Post by hakunamatata » Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:41 am

I am a foreign national working in Singapore now.
I was hired by a Singapore company in April, 2004 for a project outside Singapore.
I was working outside Singapore till 31st October, 2004. Since Nov 1st I am working in Singapore.

Also my EP was approved in June, 2004 but got stamped in July, 2004.

Can anyone please clarify what tax am I supposed to pay?

If I understand correctly I have to pay tax in any one country, can I file all my returns in Singapore, i.e from April 2004 to Dec 2004? Cos I believe it will be the least in Singapore.

Thanks in anticipation.

User avatar
Posts: 3004
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:19 pm

The details vary a lot from country to country. You will have to pay tax in Singapore -- and don't worry, you'll get your tax notice in due course -- but you may also be liable to pay tax, or at least declare your earnings, in your country of origin. Ask your tax authorities at home.


Income Tax

Post by athena782000 » Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:47 pm

Under current Singapore tax laws, if a foreigner who has stayed in Singapore for more than 183 days, he will be considered as a tax resident in Singapore, and the income tax rates applicable to Singaporeans will apply to you as well. However, if your total stays in Singapore is less than 186 days but more than 60 days, you will be taxed a flat rate of 15% of your income earned for the year 2004 or Singapore resident rates, whichever is higher.

For more info, you can go to www.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests