Singapore Expats

ICA Processing amid stricter measures (Covid-19)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ewrubel

ICA Processing amid stricter measures (Covid-19)

Post by ewrubel » Fri, 03 Apr 2020 7:40 pm

Hi all

Generally:

I'm curious to hear general thoughts on the effects of the new measures (circa 03 April 2020) on student pass processing time and/or approvals. I'm sure this applies to anyone who is currently awaiting approval from either ICA or MOM.

Specifically:

I am between an Employment Pass and a Student Pass. I gave my resignation two weeks ago. My Student Pass application was also submitted around this time by the Private Educational Institution at which I am to pursue a 12-mo Advanced Diploma. My notice period ends in two weeks. Study begins shortly after.

I have a Bachelors and a Masters in the industry under which I am "employed." The Advanced Diploma is a scope of specialization further into the same industry.

All is well with my soon-to-be ex-employer. Nothing sinister there. EP cancellation is all in schedule.

To be blunt and succinct, my concerns are:
  • My application is still "Receiving Attention"; the school dated the Commencement of study for mid April. Though, classes don't begin til mid May -- I'm told by the college that it is standard to add a few weeks on the application to have overlap with moves/transfers/travel etc (in my case, overlap with EP/LTVP). I have not been too worried on the seemingly static 2-week-long "Receiving Attention" status but wondering if I should be..?
  • What might work against Student Applications now in light of the new state of affairs, and the new normal we've all had to adopt? This might seem like an aimless question but for example, (and selfishly, I admit): Would there be a larger incentive for and added value to student enrollment (and its Pass requirements) given the grim nature of the foreseeable job climate?
  • My next move was to wait for the appointment for interview at ICA for this Student Pass. I imagine this arrangement will change in light of the shutdowns announced today. Again, I'm sure this will affect everyone; I hate to make it about me again but, please bear with me: How will this affect me?
Just a shot in the dark. Thank you for reading.

ewrubel :???:

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: ICA Processing amid stricter measures (Covid-19)

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 03 Apr 2020 11:27 pm

ewrubel wrote:
Fri, 03 Apr 2020 7:40 pm
Hi all

Generally:

I'm curious to hear general thoughts on the effects of the new measures (circa 03 April 2020) on student pass processing time and/or approvals. I'm sure this applies to anyone who is currently awaiting approval from either ICA or MOM.

Specifically:

I am between an Employment Pass and a Student Pass. I gave my resignation two weeks ago. My Student Pass application was also submitted around this time by the Private Educational Institution at which I am to pursue a 12-mo Advanced Diploma. My notice period ends in two weeks. Study begins shortly after.

I have a Bachelors and a Masters in the industry under which I am "employed." The Advanced Diploma is a scope of specialization further into the same industry.

All is well with my soon-to-be ex-employer. Nothing sinister there. EP cancellation is all in schedule.

To be blunt and succinct, my concerns are:
  • My application is still "Receiving Attention"; the school dated the Commencement of study for mid April. Though, classes don't begin til mid May -- I'm told by the college that it is standard to add a few weeks on the application to have overlap with moves/transfers/travel etc (in my case, overlap with EP/LTVP). I have not been too worried on the seemingly static 2-week-long "Receiving Attention" status but wondering if I should be..?
  • What might work against Student Applications now in light of the new state of affairs, and the new normal we've all had to adopt? This might seem like an aimless question but for example, (and selfishly, I admit): Would there be a larger incentive for and added value to student enrollment (and its Pass requirements) given the grim nature of the foreseeable job climate?
  • My next move was to wait for the appointment for interview at ICA for this Student Pass. I imagine this arrangement will change in light of the shutdowns announced today. Again, I'm sure this will affect everyone; I hate to make it about me again but, please bear with me: How will this affect me?
Just a shot in the dark. Thank you for reading.

You are too much worried. You have resigned before the Student Pass is approved. So, wait for the outcome of the Student pass. Even if it gets delayed, once your EP is cancelled, you will get a one time 30 days Social Visit Pass. Use that and stay in Singapore, till the Student pass outcome is known.

ewrubel

Post by ewrubel » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 3:51 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 03 Apr 2020 11:27 pm
You are too much worried. You have resigned before the Student Pass is approved. So, wait for the outcome of the Student pass. Even if it gets delayed, once your EP is cancelled, you will get a one time 30 days Social Visit Pass. Use that and stay in Singapore, till the Student pass outcome is known.
I appreciate this.
I had correspondence via email with an STP unit representative around the time of the original post. The representative echoed @singaporeflyer's counsel which really was more or less "just wait..."

Update since post on 03 Apr 2020 (twenty days later):
  • Case is still "Receiving Attention"
  • On 14 Apr 2020 the request for an appointment was rejected (which makes sense as I do not yet have an IPA) and indicated that the officers have been notified regarding my STP application. This was a couple of days after the ICA building cluster and resulting closure/disinfection, and (likely) delays.
  • At this point we conceded that nothing will happen til after circuit breaker, 4th of May, which would have still been within my projected STVP cut off timeframe
  • On 21 Apr 2020 shutdown is extended to 1st of June
  • On 23 Apr 2020 (today) my EP is officially cancelled and I'm on Day 1 of my STVP, set to expire 23 May 2020, nine days shy of the "reopening" post circuit breaker
  • Status is still "Receiving Attention"
What do you guys think? I'd like to understand my options and be sure to have exhausted them before it may be too late. A friend suggested writing to my PAP representative. Thoughts?

I realize I have a month to freely wait in agony for STP approval but I'm equally implored to consider a contingency plan wherein the next 30 days are best spent packing up my entire household. ](*,)

ps. the school has been good about ensuring I'm not way behind by the time I get my pass (granted I do get it)

EDIT: additional info: STP application was submitted 16 March 2020

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 4:12 pm

ewrubel wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 3:51 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
I appreciate this.
I had correspondence via email with an STP unit representative around the time of the original post. The representative echoed @singaporeflyer's counsel which really was more or less "just wait..."

• On 14 Apr 2020 the request for an appointment was rejected (which makes sense as I do not yet have an IPA) and indicated that the officers have been notified regarding my STP application. This was a couple of days after the ICA building cluster and resulting closure/disinfection, and (likely) delays.
  • At this point we conceded that nothing will happen til after circuit breaker, 4th of May, which would have still been within my projected STVP cut off timeframe
  • On 23 Apr 2020 (today) my EP is officially cancelled and I'm on Day 1 of my STVP, set to expire 23 May 2020, nine days shy of the "reopening" post circuit breaker
What do you guys think? I'd like to understand my options and be sure to have exhausted them before it may be too late. A friend suggested writing to my PAP representative. Thoughts?

I realize I have a month to freely wait in agony for STP approval but I'm equally implored to consider a contingency plan wherein the next 30 days are best spent packing up my entire household. ](*,)

ps. the school has been good about ensuring I'm not way behind by the time I get my pass (granted I do get it)

Please don't go and write to anyone as suggested by your friend. It is not advisable to ask them to help for your personal problem.

Options
1. Go back home after your SVP expires and come back later after the Student Pass is approved
2. Ask ICA for SVP extension after 2-3 weeks if you cant travel back to your country due to COVID

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 5:55 pm

Frankly, going to a MPS to see an MP is a fruitless endeavour as they will not help you as you are not a citizen or a Permanent Resident.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:13 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 4:12 pm
ewrubel wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 3:51 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
I appreciate this.

Please don't go and write to anyone as suggested by your friend. It is not advisable to ask them to help for your personal problem.

Options
1. Go back home after your SVP expires and come back later after the Student Pass is approved
2. Ask ICA for SVP extension after 2-3 weeks if you cant travel back to your country due to COVID
Sorry to say, despite the detailed explanation that I gave in private message for your query that you had PM'ed me, if you feel you must go via that route, please go for it.

My detailed explanation has made no difference to you.

Good Luck !

ewrubel

Post by ewrubel » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 5:55 pm
Frankly, going to a MPS to see an MP is a fruitless endeavour as they will not help you as you are not a citizen or a Permanent Resident.
Thanks. Understood completely. On the other hand, I will just send it anyway as it doesn't seem like it would hurt anyone. It's not like I've got anything else other than four weeks and a refresh button. :?

ewrubel

Post by ewrubel » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:32 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:13 pm

Sorry to say, despite the detailed explanation that I gave in private message for your query that you had PM'ed me, if you feel you must go via that route, please go for it.

Good Luck !
Thanks so much again. Let's be honest; there wasn't much detail. But I really appreciate your time.

I'll update this thread upon the next resolution. I'm gonna need all that luck!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:38 pm

ewrubel wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:32 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:

Good Luck !
Thanks so much again. Let's be honest; there wasn't much detail. But I really appreciate your time.

I told you
1. Approaching anyone to write a letter wont help you as you are not a SC or PR
2. Also told you even if you approach them and they send a letter, ICA will go as per rules and process.
3. I already asked you to wait for 2 more weeks.

Above is all i said in details and you may ask anyone here if this info is good enough or not

Secondly for SVP extension, you can ask a SC or a PR to help you. Why do you need to go to a representative ? Secondly, do you think NOW the representatives are having meetup sessions? I am not sure in this climate.

It looks you have already made up your mind. If that is the case, there is no point in seeking opinion in the forum and look for somehow getting the view endorsed by one of us in the forum.

I might look hard, but this is reality.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:53 pm

As the poster seems to have a high rejection threshold, let him go. He was only looking, as you have pointed out, support for his predetermined course of action. He didn't find it, but that's not our concern as we are not consultancies where success ratios count. Good Luck to him. I hope he will come back with his results either way. It's where we get our anecdotal evidence anyway, aside from those of us with a histories in HR function with the MOM & ICA to add to the mix. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ewrubel

Post by ewrubel » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 7:20 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:38 pm
ewrubel wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:32 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:

Good Luck !

I told you
1. Approaching anyone to write a letter wont help you as you are not a SC or PR
2. Also told you even if you approach them and they send a letter, ICA will go as per rules and process.
3. I already asked you to wait for 2 more weeks.

Above is all i said in details and you may ask anyone here if this info is good enough or not

Secondly for SVP extension, you can ask a SC or a PR to help you. Why do you need to go to a representative ? Secondly, do you think NOW the representatives are having meetup sessions? I am not sure in this climate.

It looks you have already made up your mind. If that is the case, there is no point in seeking opinion in the forum and look for somehow getting the view endorsed by one of us in the forum.

I might look hard, but this is reality.
Hi again.

It seems you have taken my decision to pursue the letter quite personally as it is against your own advice.

I think the point here (for me, at least) at its most basic sense is to be as resourceful as possible in order to achieve the best possible outcome. The forum has certainly done that -- whether it's reading someone else's request and resolution or seeking my own.

To drive this point home: Let's just say that the letter was already sent. What have I lost? Shall we move on?

Now I am going to prep my PR family friend with the material for sponsorship for SVP extension in case it comes down to that at the end of all this. (which, again, thank you for giving me this direction just now). And then, I wait -- which was a given. Two weeks, like you said. Waiting has always been the name of the game. This part has never been a matter of contention.

Resourcefulness for the best possible outcome -- this is all that I am doing, guys. Because I don't want to be the dude posting urgently three days before everything expires not having done everything he could have had he known better. That's all.

Again, thank you. It doesn't escape me for a moment that the first responders on this forum help everyone make their own informed decisions.

ewrubel

Post by ewrubel » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 7:37 pm

Thu, 23 Apr 2020 6:53 pm
As the poster seems to have a high rejection threshold, let him go. He was only looking, as you have pointed out, support for his predetermined course of action. He didn't find it, but that's not our concern as we are not consultancies where success ratios count. Good Luck to him. I hope he will come back with his results either way. It's where we get our anecdotal evidence anyway, aside from those of use with a histories in HR function with the MOM & ICA to add to the mix. ;-)
Oh, come on. Really? You really think I came here with a predetermined course of action? You really want to hold that sidebar letter accountable to the entire narrative? And what you deem characteristic of anecdotal successes and failures? Come on guys. This is an open forum. We can do better than that.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 7:53 pm

ewrubel wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 7:37 pm
As the poster seems to have a high rejection threshold, let him go. He was only looking, as you have pointed out, support for his predetermined course of action. He didn't find it, but that's not our concern as we are not consultancies where success ratios count. Good Luck to him. I hope he will come back with his results either way. It's where we get our anecdotal evidence anyway, aside from those of use with a histories in HR function with the MOM & ICA to add to the mix. ;-)
Oh, come on. Really? You really think I came here with a predetermined course of action? You really want to hold that sidebar letter accountable to the entire narrative? And what you deem characteristic of anecdotal successes and failures? Come on guys. This is an open forum. We can do better than that.
Sorry, you started off with asking if you can send a letter and in the last you said assume that the lettr is already sent :) Is this not predetermined then?

ewrubel

Post by ewrubel » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 8:04 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 7:53 pm
ewrubel wrote:
Sorry, you started off with asking if you can send a letter and in the last you said assume that the lettr is already sent :) Is this not predetermined then?
Wow. 1) Assuming the letter was sent was a hypothetical to prove a larger point regarding the nature of advice-seeking; but it seems idiomatic let alone standard syntax goes way overboard here 2) I started off with circumstances and asked for thoughts; I don't see the letter as being the subject of my post but let's go with that for now since you're quite keen to hold on to this: If there is anyone with a predetermined course of action, it is you.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 23 Apr 2020 9:31 pm

ewrubel wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 8:04 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 7:53 pm
ewrubel wrote:

Wow. 1) Assuming the letter was sent was a hypothetical to prove a larger point regarding the nature of advice-seeking; but it seems idiomatic let alone standard syntax goes way overboard here 2) I started off with circumstances and asked for thoughts; I don't see the letter as being the subject of my post but let's go with that for now since you're quite keen to hold on to this: If there is anyone with a predetermined course of action, it is you.
It seems you have taken my decision to pursue the letter quite personally as it is against your own advice.
-- i have not taken it personally really.

If you feel i am predetermined, so be it.

Good luck to you and do update us on what happens.