Singapore Expats

Renewing SG passport abroad

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Meimeiamore

Renewing SG passport abroad

Post by Meimeiamore » Sun, 29 Mar 2020 1:56 pm

Hi all,

I currently hold a Singapore passport that is due to expire in August. I was born in SG, but left shortly after and have held a UK passport too since birth. I now live in the UK, and was due to fly back to Singapore to visit my folks for two weeks in April, but due to the current outbreak that is no longer possible. I had planned on renewing my passport in SG and collecting it whilst I was there, however, again, that’s now not possible.

Seeing as it’s unlikely I will return to Singapore before my passport expires, I’m thinking of just giving it up. If I do so here in the UK, will I still be able to enter and visit Singapore on my UK passport? Will I get in trouble if I just let it expire and the give up my citizenship? Or should I apply to renew my passport here and then renounce in SG? This is my first time renewing my passport since turning 21, and I’m worried they will ask for proof of PR for UK or something like that if I go and renew it at the embassy. I’m not particularly attached to my sg passport, and haven’t been back since 2015, but would still like to visit friends and family every now and then.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Renewing SG passport abroad

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 29 Mar 2020 5:46 pm

Meimeiamore wrote:
Sun, 29 Mar 2020 1:56 pm
Hi all,

I currently hold a Singapore passport that is due to expire in August. I was born in SG, but left shortly after and have held a UK passport too since birth. I now live in the UK, and was due to fly back to Singapore to visit my folks for two weeks in April, but due to the current outbreak that is no longer possible. I had planned on renewing my passport in SG and collecting it whilst I was there, however, again, that’s now not possible.

Seeing as it’s unlikely I will return to Singapore before my passport expires, I’m thinking of just giving it up. If I do so here in the UK, will I still be able to enter and visit Singapore on my UK passport? Will I get in trouble if I just let it expire and the give up my citizenship? Or should I apply to renew my passport here and then renounce in SG? This is my first time renewing my passport since turning 21, and I’m worried they will ask for proof of PR for UK or something like that if I go and renew it at the embassy. I’m not particularly attached to my sg passport, and haven’t been back since 2015, but would still like to visit friends and family every now and then.
How old are you now exactly? Your Gender?

You can't hold both nationalities after 21.

Why are you scared to show your UK passport proof?

https://www.ica.gov.sg/citizen/citizens ... nship_oath