Singapore Expats

Hired car but cannot return due to lock-in

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Hired car but cannot return due to lock-in

Post by martincymru » Sat, 28 Mar 2020 2:07 pm

say [UK]

Hired car in "A" city (01/04) . Drove 300 km to another city "B" (02/04). Travel lock down (10/04).

Will hire car company continue to charge my credit card beyond hire date (15/04) even though I am unable to return? Is this legal? How is the company going to collect the car?

tt1973
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Hired car but cannot return due to lock-in

Post by tt1973 » Sat, 28 Mar 2020 2:57 pm

Hire car company should arrange to collect in city B. Is there any car company representation to collect in city B?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Sat, 28 Mar 2020 3:30 pm

1. what if they cannot collect...... all transport lock down?

2. I am responsible to return the car to location A not for them to collect from B?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Mar 2020 3:51 pm

Take a bus. Much simpler.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 29 Mar 2020 11:59 am

martincymru wrote:
Sat, 28 Mar 2020 2:07 pm
say [UK]

Hired car in "A" city (01/04) . Drove 300 km to another city "B" (02/04). Travel lock down (10/04).

Will hire car company continue to charge my credit card beyond hire date (15/04) even though I am unable to return? Is this legal? How is the company going to collect the car?
Possibly.
I am not familiar with UK law (and obviously I am not a lawyer), but in my opinion it likely depends on the circumstances. For example, two different scenarios:
(1) If the lock down should not be that clearly expected, and there is no damage (travel lock down, no clients to lease the cars) and you don't use this car beyond the hire date except to return it, and you return it right after the restrictions are lifted, I would expect you have a good chance to win against any lock resulting charges.
(2) If it should be expected that the lock down is likely to happen, and the company still may have clients at the return place to lease the car to them, then I think you may be charged and have problems to make your case.